Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

Speaking of Wayne, I was feeling ill and left work early yesterday. When I got home, I found that The Searchers was about to start on TCM. Not a huge Western fan, but it's a good way to spend an afternoon when you're feverish and weak as a kitten.

Edited by Enoch

Wow, Alien 3 Extended Cut is an altogether different movie compared to the release version. Not sure which one I like more though.

The extended cut makes the movie have much more sense/coherency. Let those who hate Alien 3 hate it, I liked it (the extended version).

I disagree. The extended cut was a mess, there very many unnecessary dialogs and why the heck did Gorlac free the Alien? Also: The dog scene was more disgusting than the bull.

I'm not being crabby for the sake of it, but re-making True Grit?

That's answering a question nobody asked.

John Wayne leaves me unmoved normally, but that's an almost perfect movie. I love Jeff Bridges to bits, and he'll do a good job I'm sure but he's not filling those boots anytime soon.

By the Coen Brothers. They don't listen to questions. The Coens do whatever the heck they want, and with good reason.

Plus, it's actually not a remake but a new adaptation, something the John Wayne movie failed to be.

Edited by TrueNeutral

I'm not being crabby for the sake of it, but re-making True Grit?

That's answering a question nobody asked.

John Wayne leaves me unmoved normally, but that's an almost perfect movie. I love Jeff Bridges to bits, and he'll do a good job I'm sure but he's not filling those boots anytime soon.

By the Coen Brothers. They don't listen to questions. The Coens do whatever the heck they want, and with good reason.

What, overblown and pretentious dreck like No Country...?

Plus, it's actually not a remake but a new adaptation, something the John Wayne movie failed to be.

What does that mean?

sonsofgygax.JPG

No country for old men is one of the best movies in the 21th century. Especially the ending, just beautiful.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

No country for old men is one of the best movies in the 21th century. Especially the ending, just beautiful.

Strange, because I was enjoying the movie for about an hour then it scurried, in my opinion, up it's own arse. The ending was awful to this callsign.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Strange, because I was enjoying the movie for about an hour then it scurried, in my opinion, up it's own arse. The ending was awful to this callsign.

I thought the car accident was pretty clever. The rest of the ending left me a bit meh, but I'm a sucker for a somewhat happy ending.

What, overblown and pretentious dreck like No Country...?

Blood Simple? Raising Arizona? Miller's Crossing? Barton Fink? Fargo? The Big Lebowski? Didn't like any of those?

The thing about the Coen brothers, at least imo, is that they have these awesome settings/concepts with a warped/satirical sense of humor. They are kind of polarizing tho...many of their movies people either seem to love or hate (or at least dislike a lot) and I freely admit I'm not a huge fan of most of their movies. But there's always something in each movie that I absolutely love. So I respect them and am always curious about a new project. :sorcerer:

Fargo was their masterpiece, imo. No Country was entertaining/ok, mostly because of Javier Bardem. The rest had moments but weren't "whole successes".

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Ah ha! Tommy Wiseau's accent is faked.

at 1:35. See for yourself.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

See, I thought the Big Lebowski was the Big Bore. Different strokes and all that. Raising Arizona too...I never get why some think that one is so brilliant. :)

I watched "The Invention of Lying." I found it very not-funny. Not in the 'this stinks" kind of way, but in a no-reaction at all kind of way. The very beginning was amusing & I loved that no-lying Coke commercial...and the general satire concepts re: religion made me giggle in spots. But mostly I sat and watched with no change of expression. The emotion it gave me was akin to the detached process of eating the same bag lunch at work for 20 years. 2 out of 5 stars.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Just so we both understand why is ruled/sucked,

In the end, when Tommy Lee Jones' character talks about his dream is what i love. It was about him not being to accept the idea of such evils exist in this world and while his father did. Thus, the title "No country for old men". That's why Chigur could walk away and escape without being caught, and why doom impended on all the good guys.

It made perfect sense to me, and it was crafted beautifully. I no Coen bros fan either, but that movie was great on its own behalf, IMO.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Wait, The Social Network is a Fincher film? I have to see it now.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Re-watched the Big Lebowski last night, and watched No country for old men today actually. Funny coincidence.

I enjoyed the Big Lebowsky just as much as I when I watched it the first time and I think No country for old men was great as well.

I also mixed myself a white russian, so inspired was I by the Dude.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Cop Out - Pretty bad. I watched it, and then I noticed Kevin Smith directed it. I didn't see his signature on it at all. It was really not funny. Tracey Morgan and Bruce Willis have zero chemistry.

Only funny bits were when Sean William Scott was in screen, which is kinda sad.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Cop Out - Pretty bad. I watched it, and then I noticed Kevin Smith directed it. I didn't see his signature on it at all. It was really not funny. Tracey Morgan and Bruce Willis have zero chemistry.

It's cause Kevin Smith is a terrible director. Great writer, but really terrible director. And usually, he writes what he directs. He didn't write Cop Out.

Sometimes I think Kevin Smith should just write and produce and then let some other, more visually gifted director do the actual directing.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Bortherhood of the Wolf

Wow, that was bad... not even Monica Belluci could save that movie :huh:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein