Deus Ex 3

Humodour

Its easy to say when you've played hundreds of games that seem to regard saturday morning cartoons as deep and complex narrative.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Its easy to say when you've played hundreds of games that seem to regard saturday morning cartoons as deep and complex narrative.

Yes, you're incredibly deep and nothing comes close to the standard your massively intelligent brain demands. We get it.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Yes, you're incredibly deep and nothing comes close to the standard your massively intelligent brain demands. We get it.

LMFAO!

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

*shrug*

If that's the way you want to look at it, it's cool.

I've played a lot of games that I like, most of those, such as Jag 2, XCOM, Wizardy 8, don't really have stories, just rules and objectives and gameplay. Computer games don't need stories to be fun. They need gameplay that holds interest in some way. And when games do get a heavy-handed story treatment, the result is almost always quite painful. Not universally so, true, but it's the exception that proves the rule.

edit: And just to point out I haven't actually made any remarks (at least not recently) one way or the other about the story of DX3. Perhaps it will be awesome. Perhaps not. I don't really care. I'm more interested in the gameplay, specifically, how removing skills will affect the complexity of the game.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

*shrug*

If that's the way you want to look at it, it's cool.

I've played a lot of games that I like, most of those, such as Jag 2, XCOM, Wizardy 8, don't really have stories, just rules and objectives and gameplay. Computer games don't need stories to be fun. They need gameplay that holds interest in some way. And when games do get a heavy-handed story treatment, the result is almost always quite painful. Not universally so, true, but it's the exception that proves the rule.

Doesn't that largely depend on genre? Your examples are, first and foremost, strategy games. And while you might be right in regards to them, the same can't be said for, I dunno ...point and click adventure games wherein the gameplay is arguably the weakest point of the experience.

Doesn't that largely depend on genre? Your examples are, first and foremost, strategy games. And while you might be right in regards to them, the same can't be said for, I dunno ...point and click adventure games wherein the gameplay is arguably the weakest point of the experience.
Er...actually, it's rather classic preference issue. Deus Ex has quite a lot of elements, which naturally makes expectation varies depending on preferences. Taste differs and, probably, most of people must have things to do than arguing over personal preferences.

More E3 previews

E3 2010: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Preview at Gamerant

E3 2010: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Preview at Shacknews

Deus Ex features 200,000+ lines of dialogue

A Video interview at Joystiq

Damn...they talk like they had been working on RPGs although they don't seem to come up with a convenient word such as tutorial. Outside of portable consoles and something like Dragon Age, my brains can only think of this type of movie/game-play hybrid if some people stop the tendency of decreasing writings in modern video games and they may be one of the possible candidates (The same studio is working for Thief 4, too). Again, we have to wait for the end result and, at the moment.

It's kind of interesting to note all these post-E3 "reviews" seem to start off with the whole "after the letdown of IW, we weren't really expecting anything overly great now"... then promptly turn into gushing over the demo shown...

Although it's nice to see the "that cool bit from the trailer? that was done in game and still looked awesome.." that gets mentioned by a few people.... So maybe the whole "cinematic trailer that has nothing to do with gameplay" isn't so significant with DE3... :)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Although it's nice to see the "that cool bit from the trailer? that was done in game and still looked awesome.." that gets mentioned by a few people.... So maybe the whole "cinematic trailer that has nothing to do with gameplay" isn't so significant with DE3... :rolleyes:
I watched at least a part of game play videos in this thread (now it's not available...I guess it was not supposed to be out), which was not as good as the trailer, at least. Also, I think a writer wrote it seems to be needed to be polished. So, again, it seems, we have to wait the final product.

• 1 month later...

Wait, is this the previously leaked behind closed doors gameplay?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Wait, is this the previously leaked behind closed doors gameplay?

It does look a lot like the gameplay that was shown in that leaked event.. although some of the bits at the docks are new...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

gameplay looks pretty good to me. It doesnt look like deus ex gameplay, but thats ok with me because that gameplay is old and could use an update. HOWEVER, the open-ended nature of the game must not be ignored for this to be a good sequel.

I forget, did they keep a limited inventory? thats kinda important (this is one area that bioshock totally botched, system shock 2's inventory system was 100000x better than bioshocks Doom-style "I can carry every weapon" inventory.)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.