Deus Ex 3

Humodour

I feel like there is no way this game can be as good as it appears to be. I am preparing for disappoint.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

You don't need to worry, it probably won't even see release in Estonia.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I just trying to post something useless.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I have to say, I'm half curious as to whether they used that footage for the recent trailer because it was leaked on the interweb.. or because they feel it shows off the game well.. :(

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

That Matt Chat made me really nostalgic, made me remember how I felt when first playing the game (well, the demo), raeding the skill descriptions, crapping my pants trying not to get spotted, discovering something new, and for me, something infinitely interesting.

How I miss that.

I have to say, I'm half curious as to whether they used that footage for the recent trailer because it was leaked on the interweb.. or because they feel it shows off the game well.. :(

They used it because it's an area that they have (temporarily) finished for the demo.

Such a great cyberpunk, shadowrun feel... looking forward to it!

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

isnt shadowrun the game with trolls and dragons using laptops to cast spells at eachother??

deus ex seems a bit more william gibson based cyperpunk than fantasy

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

isnt shadowrun the game with trolls and dragons using laptops to cast spells at eachother??

deus ex seems a bit more william gibson based cyperpunk than fantasy

Shadowrun is geared around a major cyberpunk, then has elements of fantasy thrown into the mix. But the attitude and general atmosphere is geared along the lines of deus ex (even with the fantasy). The dragons are more likely to be running corporations and being magnificent bastards of manipulation behind a dozen layers and secrets then actually on the ground and throwing spells..

ah, thats not QUITE as cheesy as i imagined it, but still, I like my fantasy and my cyberpunk a little more separate but thats just a matter of taste

It's geared around the PC's basically being the non-registered citizens who live between the cracks of society, and act as the general deniable assets between the various Mega-Corporations. Typical cyberpunk conspiracies, extraction of corporate assets, r&d theft, destruction of assets to get a leg up.. all wrapped up in various betrayals, cat's paws, and other questions of trust.

Then it's just loaded with the whole "mana cycle" and 'magic' having returned to the world in the early 21st century, which brought with it the awakening of slumbering dragons, re-activated genes that turned various members of humanity into elves, orcs, dwarves etc.. and added the whole social upheaval and "immortal conspiracies" to standard cyberpunk.

I've seen it played uber-cheesy, and really gritty. It can go either way depending on the mood of the GM and the players in the campaign :(

I love Cyberpunk 2020. I think its one of the most fun tabletop rpgs around, its also retardedly easy to get killed in, most games start with the pc's rolling up several characters as they get torn apart so quickly...

i never really tried shadowrun because after starting with Cyberpunk it just looked a little too cheeseball. then again, i love battlelords of the 23rd century and that game is super cheesy too so what do i know...

I never thought of Shadowrun as cheesy, it takes everything pretty seriously.

That's the difference between camp and cheese. :lol:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I mean the magic and tech stuff go together pretty well in the setting, you don't have a sharp line between the fantasy and cyberpunk elements. It's not like they just mashed the two concepts together, it's been built that way from ground up.

Shadowrun is fairly coherent with both sides of the equation. It's not like anything gets dropped in as out-and-out-fantasy that jars with the cyberpunk.

There's a fair bit of in-universe commentary about things like how so many parents used names from Lord of the Rings when their children turned out to be Elves when magic returned.. and how much grief those kids had growing up with names like that.. How people tried to "push" the old fantasy literature stereotypes for Elves/Orcs/whatever even when it made no sense in 'reality'. Shadowrun 1st edition was set in 2037 if I recall and the current edition has progressed the setting to 2072.. but it all hangs together, and has developed in a manner that can feel quite well-done.

They throw in a lot of culture references in the background that can be quite amusing if you actually pick them up. Quite often little mentions of things, I'm trying to remember exactly which book it was, but they even had a throwaway mention of 'UNATCO' a few years back (before they did SR 4th Edition). :lol: