Deus Ex 3

Humodour

Yay more prequel sequels.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Deus Ex 3? Oh dearie. A game where your character is a part of a nanomachine hivemind with the rest of humanity.

Or maybe you start off on the fringe where you've avoided conversion and can fight the system.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

an hd remix of deus ex could be really cool.

if deus ex 3 is as good as im hoping then of course i would want a sequel. but a properly done, multi-years in the making not rushed out the door 13 months later sort of sequel

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

an hd remix of deus ex could be really cool.

if deus ex 3 is as good as im hoping then of course i would want a sequel. but a properly done, multi-years in the making not rushed out the door 13 months later sort of sequel

Put one team to rework Deus Ex (let's not forget it already had an apparently very well done console port), release that, then keep a bigger one on an actual sequel that conveniently ignores Invisible War... :-

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Even though invisible war was fine. The main problems with it were engine limitations and console concessions. The parts that ignoring would ignore were the good bits.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

When is this thing coming out ?

1. That's what she said

2. March (i think)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Even though invisible war was fine. The main problems with it were engine limitations and console concessions. The parts that ignoring would ignore were the good bits.

It's been so long I can't really remember any of the good bits. I mean, the "backstab us as much as you want, we'll still call you about the next mission", "unified ammo" and stuff like the "improved hacking" were just BAD decisions. Not sure what the justification for skill points was, either, but the "waaa, shooting should be player not character skill based" cry was relived some years later with Mass Effect.

You know, I really wanted to agree with your statement originally, I even wrote some lines to that effect. But, no... Better off ignored!

Yay more prequel sequels.

Possible "HD'd" Deus Ex, too...

Thank God, I can't play it on today's hardware.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 3 weeks later...

This was an amusing read from Dugas :

The game industry is a business. That means if you don't sell games, you're out of business. At least for a big Publisher, it's a fact, like it or not.

That being said, we make games because we love them and we love when people enjoy them. We're happy when we're able to attract as many players as we can to play our games, to experience it on different levels -- emotional, rational, etc. So, of course we try to make our games accessible to play. We try to remove (or reduce) the initial intimidation factor that would prevent some from fully enjoying the games we make.

This is different than "dumbing down." We want to make the game easier to get into without sacrificing the depth and complexity Deus Ex has to offer. I take full responsibility for certain aspects being more streamlined (i.e. basic combat mechanic) but we streamlined them because I believe it makes for a more intense experience to enjoy. It doesn't make the game simpler. The concepts of multipath/solution and having a bunch of means to get through situations is at the heart of the Deus Ex experience. And it's all there.

We need to admit it, rich games like Deus Ex are not accessible to everyone. Do you know how many players tried Deus Ex and quit before finishing the Liberty Island level? You'd be surprised. Therefore, our challenge with DX: HR is to draw players into solving problems, discovering a rich world, and getting excited about it. We don't want players to get too intimidated or overwhelmed from trying to figure out how to play the game itself.

lol @ "different from dumbing down"

Your making games that are less complex than they once were simply so they can be understood by people who drool on themslves when they talk.

So, dumbing down.

I accept that's the way it is, but don't deny it. Just say, yeah, we're making games for idiots with short attention spans who 5 years ago were too cool to play games.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Sometimes a dumbing down is needed. Or at least a tweaking to make the game a bit easier. I mean liberty island was a pretty rough intro to the game and kinda tossed you head first into a wall expecting you to know how to hit the armor and rocket boots to get through. Invisible War showed just how NOT to dumb stuff down, had a few interesting concepts in it (my favorite was a pop start having interactive holograms posted all over that were modeled on her and would slightly change personalities to those she was interacting with), but it was dragged down by basic mechanics being to basic.

*shrugs* I just hope they decide not to pull a Dead Rising and have a difficulty curve that isn't so much a curve as a brickwall.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Ah I love the rampant elitism of some gamers.

Because games like Megaman and Mario Brothers were far and away infinitely more complex than the drivel we play now.

So because not all games were more complex before, that means no games were more complex before, is that what you're saying?

And what are you referring to as elitism? The fact that not everyone want every game to be accessible by everyone? Chess is not accessible to everyone. It has quite complex rules and you have to learn the movement pattern of all the pieces. Should they "streamline" it so everyone can enjoy chess? Make it so there's only one type of chess piece, with one movement pattern. Would you still consider it chess if they did? Are everyone who wants to play chess the way it is now elitists?

Ridiculous arguments.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The footage doesnt tell us much. Really it could be any random shooter.

Will someone remind me why these sort of preview videos are always played by retards with no initiative? You could finish Doom by the time this guy moves from one crate to the next.

Also I love this nonsensical idea of covering behind everything considering that a regular .357 magnum round is likely to penetrate multiple walls. No one follows in the footsteps of CS it seems.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Because games like Megaman and Mario Brothers were far and away infinitely more complex than the drivel we play now.

Ah, elitism, second only to entitlement in buzzword usage on forums, heh. Explain the elitism being expressed here, please? I've faith enough in gamers that most can figure stuff out, those that can't or don't want to be patient enough, well that's their failing. Companies don't, it seems. However, that said, I don't think Deus Ex HR looks to be dumbed down, heh.

But this is the joker behind Rainbow Six : Vegas, so :)

Edited by Malcador

*shrug*

If wanting games that engage me and keep me interested is elitist, then so be it. I'm an ultra uber elitist gamer.

Like I said, I accept the way it is, but I find the ongoing developer/publisher denial of "we're not dumbing down, we're streallining" uterlly laughable..

Every time I see it, I think of the scene in Full Metal Jacket where Joker's CO at Stars and Stripes instructing all his reporters to subsitute the phrase "sweep and clear" for "search and destroy". lol. Like that changes anything.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The right way to deal with complexity is to introduce it gradually, instead of getting rid of it entirely. Hard to say what the approach actually is without playing the game though.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

The right way to deal with complexity is to introduce it gradually, instead of getting rid of it entirely. Hard to say what the approach actually is without playing the game though.

Sure. Complexity does not have to be confusing. Maybe it takes a bit more work on the part of the developers, but isn't that their job?

This.

Elitism and Entitlement get used a lot because they are seen a lot.