Dragon Age Origins

Gorth

Leliana coming from a nunnery explains her somewhat extreme reaction when PC-heavily armored dude destroyed the urn in that other video.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with religious fanatics in my party, though. Killing because "the Maker" told her to, and all that... sounds like she's psychotic. Could be useful though to put a belt of deadly fire traps on her and send her into a horde of mooks.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Actually that was a Family Guy joke :(

I have no TV. :(

I guess I would actually have to know something about the characters to get any of the funny...

We've never heard of Sister Theohild or Mother Perpetua before. I'm guessing they're just silly, bit NPCs. Sorry you didn't like it though.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Actually that was a Family Guy joke :(

I have no TV. :(

I guess I would actually have to know something about the characters to get any of the funny...

We've never heard of Sister Theohild or Mother Perpetua before. I'm guessing they're just silly, bit NPCs. Sorry you didn't like it though.

Hulu.

I'm sure someone liked it though. :(

When it comes to banter, nothing can beat TLJ & Broken Sword games. Crow's a killer. Pity he's so annoying in Dreamfall.

April's comments are the best, pretty much every single one is funny.

Crow: Fine! I'll put my life on the line, tempt fate, and risk a certain and painful death by magical poisoning

Having to pick the right spells for the "day" or next encounter is one of the best aspects of old school D&D magic. Volo's right on this and those that disagree are wrong. Carry on

If by "one of the best" you mean one of the most annoying, you are correct.

You have Scribe Scroll to be ready for every situation.

dont fret purkake. i not only got your family guy joke. i laughed.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

"The fun comes from playing the game instead of pondering over which spells to choose every 10 minutes. "

Selecting your spells, and doing so intelligently is part of playing the game and is fun.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Fun is subjective.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Yeah, the DnD system really favors folks who do a second run, however, as they know the useful spells to include.

I would think that there must be at least some folks that agree with me inasmuchas some games don't use the choose and pray option. ...And where exactly is the strategy in memorizing spells for an area you haven't seen yet? Sure, you can try to anticipate whether spells like 'knock' or 'detect lie' are going to be useful, but if you correctly foresee the usefulness, you're simply lucky. If you include it and don't find it useful, then you can either keep that slot dedicated or switch it out. If you keep a slot for Knock, then you've lost the slot for more enounters than you'll have opportunity to use the spell. Great, so you simply play until you reach a point where knock will be useful and then switch and rest? That doesn't sound like strategy. It certainly doesn't seem fun. Okay, so you probably dedicate most of your slots to combat spells. Okay, what sounds good? You probably want a variety in there, but let's say you choose a mix of fire, ice, and maybe some other damage type in there. If you end up fighting both fire and ice resistant/immune creatures, you're a great strategist? *scoff* If you end up facing either creatures with no immunities or with only immunity to ice, then you didn't make a good decision. ...But wait! You see that the first creatures you fight have no immunities and you have to decide what to use. So you use.... fire? Ooops, only ice immunity later. You can't know that before hand. You must use your gutometer and that is not strategy.

The fact is, spell memorization can lead to trial and error for a lot of folks, and that's fine. It's especially okay for folks who are so prescient that they make the perfect choices all the time or folks who play the game and then go through again having advanced intelligence on the area. For other folks, however, it's nice to have more flexibility. I think it's great to make players choose which spell trees they get, although even then you either have to make it possible to kill everything not matter which spells the player chooses or include options that will eventually make the game extremely difficult for some players. It's not a huge deal for me, though. I've played and enjoyed games of both varieties.

From what I understand reading the past couple of pages, the Dragon Age designers tend to favor the mana idea. cool.

I've never planned spells.

I take a bunch that I think will be the most most versatile for what roll I want the magic character to be and stick with it. Very rarely do I make any tweaking, and that's usually because I found some spell slightly more useful than some other one.

I suck as a magician. :p

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

"And where exactly is the strategy in memorizing spells for an area you haven't seen yet?"

Common sense, intelligence, foethought, research, and the list goes on. The same way you should plan holidays, trips, and even going to the theatre.

This is how I do it:

50% general use spells that almost always have some sort of usefulness in almost all situations

25% utility spells (this can overlap somewhat in the above) that ar emore sued to boost the catser or/and their group.

25% for potentially journey/target specifc spells that you memorize based off what your mission/goal is. ie. If your goal is to go fight a Big Bad Dragon memorize spells for that, if you are targeting an Fire Giant Chief memorize spells to help you fight them AND do research (in character if in pnp) to prep, if you are gonna enter a wizard tower or an abandoned mage school then prepare spells that cna help counter magic or fight/oppose mage oriented stuff ie. magic traps, golems, and whathave you.

COMMON SENSE. COMMON SENSE. COMMON SENSE.

Sometimes it's obvious what you'll be fighting, but a lot of the time there's no way to tell at all, especially when you run into enemies you haven't seen before. Of course choosing spells to buy always has that problem, you really don't know what the game is going to emphasize unless you've already played it. The right way to do it is to select the gameplay depending on which abilities you have, but very few games bother to do that.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I've never planned spells.

Yeah, same here. Well, I did plan how I'm going to use spells and that was mostly AoE damage, lower resistance and crowd control. All other utility or self protection were too situational or required too much resting. Generally I only rested if all spells were gone and I didn't have enough health to move on without spells. Best fights happend when you're totally out of spells, only have few arrows left and your health on all characters is bellow 50% :p

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

The thing is the utility spells. Either don't bother including them, or don't punish the player by making his slots useless. DnD compromised for clerics and druids by making their primary spell type spontaneous. I like the mage. It's my fave and, memorization or mana, I'm going to play and enjoy one. I just want the game to emphasize strategy and tactics and memorization is actually a step back. Except for Vol and others who have mastered the knowledge of the exact moment they'll need spells of a particular type. Common sense just doesn't make sense to me, but I'm happy that Vol has the common sense to foresee the future.

D&D style memorization make for a cooler, more logical, and intelligent style of mage and spellcasting. I mean, studying is the key and elarning. Not innate like with 'mana'.

I thought D&D memorisation uses mana as "memorisation points". Isn

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

"Except for Vol and others who have mastered the knowledge of the exact moment they'll need spells of a particular type. Common sense just doesn't make sense to me, but I'm happy that Vol has the common sense to foresee the future. "

You didn't read my actual post therefore remain ignorant. Please read it again, and then respond to me instead of posting silliness about 'foreseeing the future'. Again, it should be a very rare case where you go soemwhere that you will have NO idea what you are up against. Tsk, tsk.

"Yes, but the amount of spells you can memorize is ridiculous in lower levels. You

Naw, I get it Vol. I disagree. It's not a matter of getting through the fights. It's a matter of convenience. I just happen to fall on the other side of the issue. I don't think it sacrifices much by way of strategy/tactics to allow more flexibility. You think juggling spell memorization is part of the fun. It's like folks who prefer more constraints on inventory and folks who just want a place to dump loot. I never had a problem with KotOR's inventory system. Then again, I've never had a problem playing inventory tetris either.

At any rate, dude, I get it. Close as I can come to common sense, though, 'cause I'll still disagree.