Dragon Age Origins

Gorth

Those can be turned off in the game. I personally like them. If you hit somebody's face with an axe, it might be little bloody in the immediate vicinity :sorcerer:

It seems that after every single fight in the game, the characters are completely covered in blood from head to toe. It's almost burlesque... blood doesn't sprinkle or spray like that.

In that Leliana video, for instance, it was hilarious how the girl cut up some mooks and then calmly introduced herself when she looked like she had just made a 8-hour shift in an industrial butchery.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

It seems that after every single fight in the game, the characters are completely covered in blood from head to toe. It's almost burlesque... blood doesn't sprinkle or spray like that.

In that Leliana video, for instance, it was hilarious how the girl cut up some mooks and then calmly introduced herself when she looked like she had just made a 8-hour shift in an industrial butchery.

That is true, the blood could look a lot better, instead of looking like people have just taken a blood shower.

Yeah, coz nothing screams 'mature' like gratuitous blood splattering and Marilyn Manson, right?

I'm still confident that the Manson and other stuff in the trailers are there just to get avarage gamers make somersaults. I'm not expecting Torment 2, but I would be glad if DA is atleast taking a step towards it.

I'm not seeing anyone making somersaults after that trailer. Even the hardcore console-focused NeoGAF didn't really care for much for the trailer.

It's just the marketing people having a huge disconnect not only from the game, but from the average gamers as well.

There were parts of the E3 marketing that were less effective, and parts of it that were very effective.

So she kills two dudes in cold blood in front of your party and while still covered in their blood asks if she can your your merry band of misfits(or is it psychotic killers?)? That's pretty hardcore.

Redheads are cool, though...

Edited by Purkake

Bioware should make a football RPG. With meaninful and mature choices that impact the game world and well written, interesting characters around you.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Bioware should make a football RPG. With meaninful and mature choices that impact the game world and well written, interesting characters around you.

Haha, give the ball Carth's voice actor and think of the infinite possibilities :)

So she kills two dudes in cold blood in front of your party and while still covered in their blood asks if she can your your merry band of misfits(or is it psychotic killers?)? That's pretty hardcore.
It was one of the few truly "WTF?" moments I've experienced in gaming. And not in a good way.

Redheads are cool, though...
And by cool, you mean hot. Amirite? :brows:

I'm trying to keep an open mind with this game, but ****. They sure aren't making it easy.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I want to be able to send one of my NPCs out to deliver a note to someone for me. While he's gone, I expect him to destroy a few crates looking for loot. At any rate, I want him to return with the response. I want to be able to reward my NPC with some money and maybe an item or two.

The news that only fighters can carry shields...

Anyone can carry a shield if they have high enough strength. We know that there are some items - the Templar armor - that are restricted, but for most of the equipment, all you have to do is meet the strength requirement.

^ Mebbe I read it wrong, alternatively the shield combat skill tree could be warrior only.

Warriors have access to all the weapon talents at level 1, rogues have to unlock the two-hander and sword and shield trees, and mages don

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I'm thinking of the Jeanette from Bloodlines kind, I think.

She wasn't cute though. She was sexy in a gothy sort of way.

I might also be crazy, though. Wouldn't that be ironic?

No, it wouldn't.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Actually, cute / crazy could be encapsulated by Rose from Two-and-a-Half-Men (favourite sitcom at the Schloss Monte at the moment).

Rose is cute and ditzy and wears ankle socks. She is also a talented and shameless stalker with acute dependency issues. I wouldn't leave her anywhere near sharp objects if she hadn't taken her meds, and I wouldn't be surprised if Charlie doesn't keep a Mossberg jungle gun under his piano. Just in case.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Actually, cute / crazy could be encapsulated by Rose from Two-and-a-Half-Men (favourite sitcom at the Schloss Monte at the moment).

Rose is cute and ditzy and wears ankle socks. She is also a talented and shameless stalker with acute dependency issues. I wouldn't leave her anywhere near sharp objects if she hadn't taken her meds, and I wouldn't be surprised if Charlie doesn't keep a Mossberg jungle gun under his piano. Just in case.

Cheers

MC

Arrested Development was the last true sitcom, heathen!

Now I miss Allo Allo :brows:

If mages can't use weapons, I would expect them to have enough umph to carry on through a series of engagements without rest. One of the things DnD does is grind out the party by forcing the characters to use a steady stream of spells. It was always a balancing act to intersperse larger battles with skirmishes and puzzles in order to make sure the characters were rarely at full spell capacity but they could conceivably win any of the big fights as long as they approached the area with at least some intelligence.

What I don't want to see in Dragon age is a lot of moments where any one party member just stands around because he doesn't have spells, or his skills are useless, or he'd just get in the way. That's not fun in a game where combat is so prevalent. Frankly, that's one of my beefs with how DnD handles spells. Doesn't mean it's not fun, but I would expect mages to have at least something to bring to the table for every fight and maybe even be the prime combatant for some fights.

In a PnP RPG, there can be room for what amounts to a non-combatant. Characters can have some skills that transcend combat value. It's not as common in DnD, no, but it's certainly viable and some RPGs even encourage focusing on non-combat skills. Computer RPGs aren't quite there yet.

I don't know what's going to happen with the mages, but I intend to play one on the first run. I certainly hope that I don't get to blow my wad on the first few battles and then stand around waiting for the warriors to hack down opponents for the next three. ...And, forcing the mages to conserve some spells/mana/whatever isn't bad. Chaining them to boring battles where they must constantly hold off on big spells for fear of what's coming next is bad. I don't want to sit on my most powerful spells on my first run because I don't know if I'll be screwing myself by casting any of them. I know most of us have ended up at the end of the game with a bunch of loot that we never used because we saved it for a rainy day. If I know that I can cast a fairly steady stream of spells without running myself dry, then I can risk some of my hard hitters.

I don't think mages should be able to run roughshod over stuff, just that we don't have the DnD spell memorization scheme that would result in a substantial number of battles during which the mage sits on the sisdelines without even a single weapon skill. Boring.

Yeah, it might have all happened in my head. In fact maybe you are all figments of my imagination... That would explain Volourn....

Still, a Cute/crazy redhead has potential for greatness, if done right.

No one is crazy enough to create Volo.

Leliana was written by Sheryl Chee. This is her first BioWare game, and she also wrote Wynne and Dog.

Cheers

MC

I haven't had a TV for five years now (I have the box but no channels) so I don't know what you're talking about.

If mages can't use weapons...

Mages can use weapons. What mages don't have are weapon talents.

I would expect them to have enough umph to carry on through a series of engagements without rest.

The standard mage weapon is a magical staff that seems to fire a default, manaless flame/cold/acid attack. I think shapeshifting is a ‘buff’ so if you turn into a giant spider, you can use that form’s attack and abilities without having to rest. (I should check on that though, it might drain mana.)

Edited by Maria Caliban