Dragon Age Origins

Gorth

I am not at all familiar with that origin's background at all, but my guess would be that the various ways they attempted to do a Human Commoner type story that would be consistent with the setting they have created that didn't in some way look like the "schlub that moves on to greatness."

Hence, after attempting to make it work, they decided to have to call it at some point to focus efforts elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried coming up with some ideas, but the ones that fit the setting best could be broken down as the small time guy (whether he be a farmboy, merchant, petty thief, etc.) that becomes the hero.

I don't know why folks are enamoured of the human commoner origin. I mean, most of us in these forums are middle class folks. We're certainly not the equivalent of some medieval commoner, or quasi medievalesque commoner or what not. Although, now that I think about it, we're not the equivalent of a noble either. Hmm. I guess my question really isn't with why someone would want to have a certain origin, but why any specific origin appeals to anyone. From a story perspective, I would guess for the human commoner side. Either that, or because you really like a particular class. I don't want an X commoner or X noble at all, but I do want a mage. That's just 'cause I like playing mages best.

Still, I'm fairly stoked to see different origins at this point our of curiosity if nothing else. I think it's cool to offer folks what they want, but if we're going to ask for commoner or noble, I'd like to play a middle class bloke like myself. Maybe a merchant or a professional soldier. I guess either would count as commoner, but if that's the case, noble is so specific whereas commoner can be anything from a beggar to someone who runs a mercantile business. That's such a huge spread.

Anyhow, not picking fights with folks for what they like. Just thinking out loud. I have it on Gina's authority that you should post your thoughts even if it's random musings. I wish there were a tongue in cheek grin icon. =]

Damn, I wish I'd seen alan's post beforehand. He kind of points out the thing I was saying about how broad the 'commoner' class is.

Edited by Aristes

"Compared to nwn1 the story was leaps and bounds better plus the eyes candy was x10 better as well. All in all a much better game and far from just 'playable'."

No. (except it is 'playable).

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

^ The villain actually does a proper Mwuahahahhahaaa!!! pantomime villain laugh. Obviously, I want to be scathing about this but I'm a sucker for a proper, old-fashioned Mwuahahhahaahaaa!!! laugh.

Next line should be: "BEHIND YOU!"

:lol:

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

[/url]

Hey alanschu, the other cut scenes are better than this... right?

Just wondering. :lol:

What precisely is wrong with that one?

It went a little bit differently given that I was a male elf though.

I won't say it's anything amazingly awesome, but I don't think it's horrible either. I think it does a decent enough job of introducing Vaughn and the type of person that he is.

If it turns into a grind to get to the content then something has gone very wrong, though to be honest RPGs that don't have grindy combat are rare.

Infinity engine games had good combat, Torment not included. Temple of Elemental Evil too. So did the Gothic games in their own way though it was grindy.

The trick is to dose it right, enough to be entertaining but not so much as to become a chore.

I'd agree with your RPG list except FO3 and nwn2. FO3 Fantastic game. As NWN2 just 'playable'? Compared to nwn1 the story was leaps and bounds better plus the eyes candy was x10 better as well. All in all a much better game and far from just 'playable'.

NWN2 was better in every way than the first one, it just doesnt say much since the first one was trash. While a lot of effort went into that game I just dont see it in the same club as Torment, MotB, Baldurs Gate etc. Look at it this way, if you wanted to put it among those games what would it have to offer to be considered as exceptional?

I couldn't stand Fallout 3, for me it was worse than Oblivion. At least Oblivion makes no attempts to pass itself as intelligent or mature.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

[/url]

Hey alanschu, the other cut scenes are better than this... right?

Just wondering. :lol:

What precisely is wrong with that one?

It went a little bit differently given that I was a male elf though.

I won't say it's anything amazingly awesome, but I don't think it's horrible either. I think it does a decent enough job of introducing Vaughn and the type of person that he is.

The animation is weird and unfit for the scene. The premise is somewhat clich

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Sorry, I wasn't precise on what I meant. I was talking about the NPC's/actor's animations, compared to the other trailers this one seems hastily put together. I don't have a problem with the scene itself, this particular one seems like it came from Bethsoft (who I think we can all agree to some extent that they're not exactly the best at animation.)

Edited by Syraxis

"I really hope someone at DA:O gets the hint and has some words with their marketing department. Untill now the game has been portrayed much too shallower and brainless than it seems to be."

Their marketing department is fine. People picking and choose what they 'remember' is the problem. The vast majority of the stuff in this preview has been disucssed/previewed/interviewed about repeatedly for the past few years.

Character system - not new info

Combat system - not new info

Role-playing - not new info

AI auto paths - not new info

Repeated over, and over again.

The marketing department has covered ALL aspects of the game. But, some people like to focus on only the parts they 'dislike'.

Volourn, I am a guy who does follow the RPG gaming scene on and off and I do check the outlets now and then again. I didn't even hear about most of the "not hyped" stuff like detailed combat order system at all. I checked the main site and All I saw was red on white and death and glory and all the usual stuff on your average book/game cover. If People can't learn that this game does really offer some of the things it is "promised" to offer, You can't really blame them to distrust what is "Promoted". I have been stung a lot of time by empty promotions to trust them on face value.

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

The vats majority of this stuff has been in multiple previews, interviews, the official message board. It's not new or unique to this preview. This stuff has been 'hyped'. It's that people conviently 'forget' things when convienent. Like people were spazzing when the dissapointing (imo) Marilyn Manson vid came out and acting like it was the first piece of hype for the game when BIO (and EA0 have been pushing things like the combat system, origins (heck, they even changed the name to include origins in the title), character system (stats/talents/skills), etc. for YEARS while the violent/sex stuff is actually relatively new to the DA hype party.

If there's any 'mistake' being made it is that EA BIO are pimping the game to everyone but hey, BIO has always been inclusive.. perhaps, too inclusive.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well, damn it, what I think is... wait... what were we talking about again? No, I remember, I was saying that the Dalish video pretty much rocked. I mean, yeah, I could cite the things that were too "Hollywood" or whatnot, but the video was fun. I'm scared to watch the others because I don't want to mess up the game. I've been a little burned by playing a game out of order and having things spoiled for me and I intend to avoid it as much as possible while still being able to discuss the titles I look forward to playing.

What cool is I have not read a single one. Looking forward to this game. Fantasy RPG's have been in short supply lately.

I was really looking forward to DAO, and have the PS3 version on preorder. However the BG fan in me weeps every time new details of the console alterations leak. I'm probably going to cancel my pre, and just hold off buying the game until I have a PC rig that can run it well (if ever - current outlook isn't good for future gaming). :ermm:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Sorry, I wasn't precise on what I meant. I was talking about the NPC's/actor's animations, compared to the other trailers this one seems hastily put together. I don't have a problem with the scene itself, this particular one seems like it came from Bethsoft (who I think we can all agree to some extent that they're not exactly the best at animation.)

Actually, I agree. Sometimes the animations does look kinda stiff. ME had the same broblem. It didn't bother me much in ME because I noticed it only sometimes during dialog, but it does look little wierd.

Edited by Slinky

There should be some animations when NPCs are 'idle'. Even Oblivion & Fallout 3 have those. It was weird to see in that City Elf origin how everyone was just standing around like a salt pillar in the exact same pose like in Morrowind. Let them do some stretching, pick their nose or smoke a cigarette, anything...

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

"Compared to nwn1 the story was leaps and bounds better plus the eyes candy was x10 better as well. All in all a much better game and far from just 'playable'."

No. (except it is 'playable).

Because 2 giant fed-ex quests duct taped together makes such a gripping story/plot/game. Thats all nwn1 was and even bioware grew a pair a few years later and admitted the story fell quite short. You are the only one who liked nwn1 over the nwn2 story V. Of course what do I expect from a bioware fanboy whose games can do no wrong. :lol:

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

There should be some animations when NPCs are 'idle'. Even Oblivion & Fallout 3 have those. It was weird to see in that City Elf origin how everyone was just standing around like a salt pillar in the exact same pose like in Morrowind. Let them do some stretching, pick their nose or smoke a cigarette, anything...

ME actually did this really well. I'm surprised it's not as good in DA:O.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

We know what the console alterations are on the XBox360. Does the PS3 have the same limited [whatever] that meant enemies have to come in waves and you can't zoom out?

Well, you probably know what Bio has said on their board as well as I do, if not better. Basically all we've been hearing is PC vs. 'console versions'. With the PS3 version handled by an external studio, at least to a degree, one can only guess what the end result will be. Another PC->take into account Xbox360limitations->x360->see what you can get to work from the x360 version->PS3 port like usual, or will it be a separate branch from the PC version, optimised for the PS3 (like Red Alert 3 was). Unfortunately, everything I've heard so far is making me lean towards the first one.

Oh, and I believe that the reason for the removal of the tactical zoomout was the lack of RAM on the x360. Both the consoles have the same amount of RAM (512MB), including video RAM, just wired a bit differently between the two of them.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

We know what the console alterations are on the XBox360. Does the PS3 have the same limited [whatever] that meant enemies have to come in waves and you can't zoom out?

There is no way they are doing two completely different console ports. The PS3 port will probably be a jankier, lower FPS version of the 360 one.