Dragon Age Origins

Gorth

It is pretty much the norm.

There was even a year when a popular sports franchise(don't remember which) ran at 60FPS on the 360 and 30FPS on the PS3. Since the PS3 has a somewhat smaller player base and usually sells less copies, the developers spend less time on the PS3 port on multi-platform games.

On the best day they are about equal with the PS3 having slightly more AA or looking a bit sharper, but even though the PS3 has potentially more power, it usually gets the short end of the stick.

Edited by Purkake

Well, you probably know what Bio has said on their board as well as I do, if not better. Basically all we've been hearing is PC vs. 'console versions'. With the PS3 version handled by an external studio, at least to a degree, one can only guess what the end result will be. Another PC->take into account Xbox360limitations->x360->see what you can get to work from the x360 version->PS3 port like usual, or will it be a separate branch from the PC version, optimised for the PS3 (like Red Alert 3 was). Unfortunately, everything I've heard so far is making me lean towards the first one.

Oh, and I believe that the reason for the removal of the tactical zoomout was the lack of RAM on the x360. Both the consoles have the same amount of RAM (512MB), including video RAM, just wired a bit differently between the two of them.

I would put money on the PS3/360 versions being the exact same.

As for the console versions being shafted, we PC users always get shafted for bloody console limitations . So I feel nothing for you console peasant. :p

The PS3 port will probably be a jankier, lower FPS version of the 360 one.

Huh? Is this common or what made you say that?

Yes for whatever reason devs struggle developing for the PS3. (Except PS3 exclusive devs)

There was even a year when a popular sports franchise(don't remember which) ran at 60FPS on the 360 and 30FPS on the PS3. Since the PS3 has a somewhat smaller player base and usually sells less copies, the developers spend less time on the PS3 port on multi-platform games.

On the best day they are about equal with the PS3 having slightly more AA or looking a bit sharper, but even though the PS3 has potentially more power, it usually gets the short end of the stick.

The only time the PS3 version looks better is when it's a Sony exclusive, MG4, Uncharted, Killzone 2 etc. As it stands, the PS3 will probably get the short end of the stick for it's lifetime. It's the N64 of this generation, good console underused by third party developers.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

The only time the PS3 version looks better is when it's a Sony exclusive, MG4, Uncharted, Killzone 2 etc. As it stands, the PS3 will probably get the short end of the stick for it's lifetime. It's the N64 of this generation, good console underused by third party developers.

Sure, what I said goes only for multi-platform games.

The people who actually know how to program for the Cell processor can make awesome looking games like MGS4 etc.

Well apparently Bio is already working on DA2.

Posted 09/07/09 14:39 (GMT) by Patrick Weekes

At this stage in the project, writers get to do a lot of things.

4) Many writers are on different projects now, like Dragon Age 2 or the MMO.

Posted 09/07/09 15:58 (GMT) by Patrick Weekes

We did kinda call the first one "Origins". I hope I'm not giving too much away.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

"Because 2 giant fed-ex quests duct taped together makes such a gripping story/plot/game."

It was way more than 'giant fed ex quest'. And, NWN2 was pretty much a giant fed ex quest. ie. Go find the sword shards.

" Thats all nwn1 was and even bioware grew a pair a few years later and admitted the story fell quite short. "

Nah. All they said is it could have been better like all their games.

"You are the only one who liked nwn1 over the nwn2 story V."

This is a lie.

" Of course what do I expect from a bioware fanboy whose games can do no wrong."

Another lie. keep up the lying... err.. good work...

As for DA2.. cool...

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It's so funny because part of me still reads Dark Alliance when I see DA. I actually kind of dug the DA games. I had fun with them when I had an xbox. Dragon Age looks to be a more enduring classic and, say what you want for the long development time, at least Bioware doesn't mind taking some time to finish a game.

I've been somewhat disappointed with Bioware since NWN. I enjoyed KotOR quite a bit on the xbox and I think NWN had some really good moments but I just thought it was clear that combat had taken the backseat to other considerations. In Dragon Age, it looks like combat gets some real love also. It's maybe not exactly in the driver's seat, but more like riding shotgun? Whatever cliche we use, it looks solid now. I don't want to get too giddy because I think that's unfair to me as a consumer and to the developer. They're just trying to craft a strong commercial title. I know that a lot of them really want it to be a great game, but there are sacrifices they'll have to make in order to satisfy their publisher and, to be candid, their rather large player base. Still, maybe Maria can get through the combat easy enough to see the RPG potentials she'd like to see as a gamer and Monte can get through the 'fluff' quickly enough to enjoy another battle. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but I tend to like a little of both. This might actually be the game for me.

If someone dislikes combat they probbaly shouldn't bother playing DA as it'll have lots of combat. Or at least play it on easy. ALL RPGs have lots of combat. Not one exception.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

That's it! Play it on hard but in God mode. It will let you max experience gain while minimizing loss. heh heh

Seriously, I don't think the problem is with folks not liking combat so much as folks we fall further to the rpg end of the spectrum. One of you guys said we have a scale. Seems reasonable and, using that scale, I'd say that Dragon Age falls further towards combat but it's still an RPG. I don't think Maria said she hated combat. If I remember it right, she said that she sometimes likes it but sometimes it's frustrating and she just wants to avoid it.

Maria, if I'm putting words in your mouth, I apologize. It's just that I'm trying to remember who said what and it seems to me that you and Monte are the most obvious examples of this sort of interplay of RPG concepts.

^ Am quite happy to be cited as the voice of the wargaming end of the spectrum in this conversation. I respect Maria's POV, she's obviously put a great deal of effort into gathering info for us all. It's also natural that she tends to concentrate on areas of CRPGs that interest her. FWIW I appreciate the effort she's put in and have read lots of it and learnt more.

You have to remember that D&D started as a wargame, and love it or hate it D&D is the fulcrum for games like Dragon Age. Obviously the genre has moved on and the RPG world ended up consisting of lots of micro-groups who enjoyed various aspects of what gaming had to offer. OK, I ended up camping out in the backwoods of tactical wargaming for thirty years, this plus decent beer gives me a certain perspective that has little interest in the preoccupations of the Bio Forum regulars.

The main reason I got back into gaming was the advent of CRPGs where the stylised isometric view reminded me of the classic days of yore, basically an abstract zoomed out view of miniatures on a battle board. It was extremely cool - exactly the sort of gaming I wanted to see on the computer. Things have moved on, and now I have to scroll through soppy cutscenes to get to the next half-decent battle. I also love - character development (skill trees and classes, BTW, not new ways of telling my party I wub them), inventory management, new kit and AI. This is the sort of nuts and bolts that interests me.

Don't get me wrong, I like well-developed NPCs, as long as they don't get in the way. I like my NPCs in the same way that some games let me custom paint armoured vehicles. No more, not much less.

If DA manages to, in any meaningful way, balance these two ends of the spectrum then I'll be happy. Bioware can do it, they did it with BG1 & BG2.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

That's it! Play it on hard but in God mode. It will let you max experience gain while minimizing loss. heh heh

Seriously, I don't think the problem is with folks not liking combat so much as folks we fall further to the rpg end of the spectrum. One of you guys said we have a scale. Seems reasonable and, using that scale, I'd say that Dragon Age falls further towards combat but it's still an RPG.

Given the amount of line wrote(900,000) and VO work, I get the feeling it's more balanced. Personally I think in this game has enough RP(6 origins)/romance(at least 5)/party members(9-12) for Maria to get her fix. And enough combat for MC to get his fix. The real question is are either of these parts going to be any good.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Incresing difficulty doesn't increase XP gain.

There is no way they are doing two completely different console ports. The PS3 port will probably be a jankier, lower FPS version of the 360 one.

IIRC, the XBox360 version was developed in house. The PS3 version is a port of the PC version by a different developer.

... actually, I don't know. Either way, the PC version just has so much more going for it.

If someone dislikes combat they probbaly shouldn't bother playing DA as it'll have lots of combat. Or at least play it on easy. ALL RPGs have lots of combat. Not one exception.

Just because it's a genre convension doesn't mean it's good. I recall Quest for Glory as being light on the combat.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Both XBOX and PS3 are jointly developed with another company working with BioWare.

Demiurge?

Run for your lives!! :shifty:

Edited by Slinky

Both XBOX and PS3 are jointly developed with another company working with BioWare.

Demiurge?

Run for your lives!! :aiee:

Nope, I've seen Dr. Greg mention the console dev at some point, and it definitely wasn't Demiurge. I'd never heard of it, and my google-fu was weak and didn't bring anything up on it, but they were supposed to know what they were doing with the PS3.

Today's mood status: Am going to buy it for PS3 now, PC later. Besides, if the x360 version turns out to be a complete mess, I can always cancel my PS3 pre. o:)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Nope, I've seen Dr. Greg mention the console dev at some point, and it definitely wasn't Demiurge.

Today's mood status: Am going to buy it for PS3 now, PC later. Besides, if the x360 version turns out to be a complete mess, I can always cancel my PS3 pre. :aiee:

Okay, probably good news for console gamers. And I don't think the console version is going to be bad. Someone at bio forums got to try both PC and XBox 360 versions somewhere, and he said they were the same game, PC version just felt more tactical. And differences between XBox 360 and PS3 versions most likely will be very small in practice.

Perhaps there should be a Wii version made where the enemy hordes don't attack the Party en masse or in waves, but encircle the Party, then just stand around and attack the Party one by one. Like in a Steven Seagal movie.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Perhaps there should be a Wii version made where the enemy hordes don't attack the Party en masse or in waves, but encircle the Party, then just stand around and attack the Party one by one. Like in a Steven Seagal movie.

Seagal is da man.

Steven_Seagal_zoomed.gif