Dragon Age Origins

Gorth

Actually, cute / crazy could be encapsulated by Rose from Two-and-a-Half-Men (favourite sitcom at the Schloss Monte at the moment).

Rose is cute and ditzy and wears ankle socks. She is also a talented and shameless stalker with acute dependency issues. I wouldn't leave her anywhere near sharp objects if she hadn't taken her meds, and I wouldn't be surprised if Charlie doesn't keep a Mossberg jungle gun under his piano. Just in case.

Cheers

MC

Two and a half men is also a favorite in my household and Rose is hysterical. I literally laugh out loud every time she enters and exits via the balcony. You may or may not know, because I think our sitcoms run a season or two behind over there, but

Rose is no longer on the show

, which I think is a damn shame.

Edited by Gfted1

Yeah, it might have all happened in my head. In fact maybe you are all figments of my imagination... That would explain Volourn....

Still, a Cute/crazy redhead has potential for greatness, if done right.

No one is crazy enough to create Volo.

Leliana was written by Sheryl Chee. This is her first BioWare game, and she also wrote Wynne and Dog.

I haven't had a TV for five years now (I have the box but no channels) so I don't know what you're talking about.

Bioware finally realized that they have had the same ~5 characters from KotOR onwards? :p Bringing in new writers sounds like a great idea.

Try Hulu if you don't have a real TV. There's still some stuff worth watching(House MD, Lost, Dollhouse with new BSG/Angel/Firefly cast).

Only Volo knows the madness that is being Volo.

Edited by Purkake

Maybe Volo is an alt of some other guy?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

"Bioware finally realized that they have had the same ~5 characters from KotOR onwards?"

Falsehood.

"Maybe Volo is an alt of some other guy?"

Maybe. Maybe "he" isn't even really a "guy". Just sayin'...

P.S. D&D style memorization sia wesome, and the absolute best way to do magic. Any other way is half as good. Plus, the D&D style also has the added benefit of making it clear that mages have to study and it's not just lame innate ability like other medthods.

P.S.S. D&D technically use multiple methods of magic as options including 'mana style'.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I declare Volo the longest-running and most successful troll ever.

<3 you.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Maybe Volo is an alt of some other guy?

Creating an alibi Mr I'm Also From Canada?

Or should I say Volourn?

P.S. D&D style memorization sia wesome, and the absolute best way to do magic. Any other way is half as good. Plus, the D&D style also has the added benefit of making it clear that mages have to study and it's not just lame innate ability like other medthods.

Speaking of falsehoods...

The old DnD system is in fact one of the worst. Having to constantly rest is bad enough for a PnP game, but in a cRPG it is just ridiculous.

Edited by Purkake

"I declare Volo the longest-running and most successful troll ever."

The only troll here is you with your constant attempts (successful as I don't mind getting into it with trolls like you) to get a reaction from me like a typical troll. I'd prefer to disucss the actual thread topics not posters. Unlike you, it seems.

"Speaking of falsehoods...

The old DnD system is in fact one of the worst. Having to constantly rest is bad enough for a PnP game, but in a cRPG it is just ridiculous."

Nonsense. The DnD system is plain, old and new fashion fun. Everything else is simply lame in comparison. I mean mana? LAME

Bioware finally realized that they have had the same ~5 characters from KotOR onwards?

Five? There is only three.

Canderous>Wrex

Carth>Kaidien

Dawn Star>Liara

"Maybe Volo is an alt of some other guy?"

Maybe. Maybe "he" isn't even really a "guy". Just sayin'...

Skynet, I knew it.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Modern pnp games tend to suck. Espicially comapred to the better, original ones. I'm all for progress but it's not progress when you plainly suck.

D&D style memorization make for a cooler, more logical, and intelligent style of mage and spellcasting. I mean, studying is the key and elarning. Not innate like with 'mana'.

L A M E

I haven't really seen the mana style in any of the core DnD rulebooks. I haven't read 4e, though, so maybe it's in there. ...Or maybe I just haven't paid enough attention. *shrug* Dunno.

I'm not a huge fan of mana, but it does have its advantages in a crpg, one of which is that it tends to help with the very problem I just described above. I don't think it's the only solution, but it suffices well enough I guess. Alls I care about is that I don't end up feeling compelled to save spells all the time. I should feel fairly confident that I can get away with using my heavy hitters without thinking I've squandered my stash o' spellfun too early.

In a roleplaying sense, I agree that memorization tends to reinforce the mage as scholar philosophy behind DnD.

Obviously spellcasting needs to be as annoying as possible to make it more "logical".

I can't think on anything better than mana at the moment, but there are better systems out there.

I've always been a fan of the "spellacasting tires you out" kind of thing ala Shadowrun or Arcanum, but those systems don't really work too well in a cRPG.

Edited by Purkake

I could see some kind of skill-based system with each casting giving you an increasing penalty on the next spell and also depending on the power of the spell. So you could cast a bunch of medium power spells or a strong one and then weak ones for a while.

Something like the PnP system where you can take as much actions as you like, but each one gives an increasing penalty on the other ones.(can't remember where it's from)

Modern pnp games tend to suck. Espicially comapred to the better, original ones. I'm all for progress but it's not progress when you plainly suck.

D&D style memorization make for a cooler, more logical, and intelligent style of mage and spellcasting. I mean, studying is the key and elarning. Not innate like with 'mana'.

L A M E

Except computer/console D&D games that keep the memorization structure (or at least spells per day as opposed to rechargeable manna) still do away with the actual studying part of the equation.

And components. And verbal/non-verbal actions. And since most of the games allow you to rest anywhere, they're not functionally that different from rechargeable manna (and not all games will recharge manna in real time anyhow, making the end effect very similar, I think).

Oh and I'm not sure I'd call D&D's magic system is original since its taken from Jack Vance's Dying Earth series.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I thought D&D memorisation uses mana as "memorisation points". Isn

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

As you guys aren't talking about Dragon Age at all, I'm going to post something from The Other Forum that I found funny.

I don't think Leliana is a zealot at all. I think she's a killer looking for redemption.

She's doing a great job of it too. What with the killing people.

The party gets into a random encounter.

Bandit 1: Your GP or your HP!

Alistair: "Your GP or your HP"? That is the worst line I've ever heard!

Sten: Pathetic. He didn't even come up with that himself. He stole it from 8-bit Theater.

Bandit 1: Shut up, you! It's a joke!

Bandit 2: EVERYONE SHUT UP! Now you, heavily armed adventure-people, hand over your money and your women and nobody gets hurt.

Bandit 3: Well, technically, I guess some people still get hurt.

Bandit 1: You guys are messing up our intro dialogue! Let me handle this!

Bandit 2: We are not messing it up! You already ruined it with your stupid webcomic reference!

PC: This is getting ridiculous. Let's just fight already.

Leliana: What? Fight? I can't do that!

PC: Why not?

Leliana: I'm good. Killing is evil. We have to be nice to these men.

PC: They're going to kill us. Or rape you. They're bad guys.

Leliana: Killing is wrong! I won't do it!

PC: Fine. Sit this one out. Sten? Alistair? You guys coming?

Alistair: You know, now that she's mentioned it, killing does strike me as not very pleasant.

PC: Oh, for pity's sake! Sten?

Sten: You aren't a family, are you? It's been explained to me ad nauseam that it's wrong to kill families.

Bandit 1: Oh, we're family. Definitely. *points at Bandit 2* He's my brother, Larry.

Bandit 2: *points at Bandit 3* And he's my other brother Larry.

Bandit 3: Our parents watched too many sitcoms.

Sten: Sorry, Warden. No family-killing. I'm trying to quit.

PC: HOW DID I GET AN ENTIRE PARTY OF PACIFISTS?

Leliana: Wait a minute... why are you so enthusiastic about killing innocent bandits? Are you evil?

Alistair: Maker's breath! You are! You're evil! I should have guessed it when you were all, "Sure, witch of the wilds, I'll take your daughter on my adventure!" You're a villain!

Sten: Well, who else would have let me out of that cage?

PC: WE ARE NEVER GOING TO BEAT THE GAME IF YOU GUYS WON'T FIGHT!

Leliana: Hmph! There's no need to speak in all-caps.

Alistair: Really, what is the matter with you?

PC: I should have played Mass Effect. *mutter*

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I thought D&D memorisation uses mana as "memorisation points". Isn

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

As you guys aren't talking about Dragon Age at all,

I blame the thread subtitle, "The original sequel to Baldurs Gate?..."

:p

I find that whole exchange to be rather shallow and pedantic.

Pedantic typically refers to more academic or esoteric topics. I’ll do two more. If you don’t even chuckle, then I’d go for David and Sheryl’s characters.

Actually that was a Family Guy joke :p

I guess I would actually have to know something about the characters to get any of the funny...

Edited by Purkake