Dragon Age

Haha touche.

I didn't actually make that connection. Silly me.

Though the circumstances of it are different, given that the Blight doesn't seem to completely eradicate all existence like the Reapers did.

Edited by alanschu

am not understanding all the vo complaints. nothing great, but nothing terrible. the french girl were a bit lacking... but with only a single line is tough to judge.

the romance seemed... terrible, but that were expected. already debated the context aspect over at codex. Gromnir hates bio romance, and getting no more than the sex-me-up speech from the harlot character were gonna make it dreadful difficult to impress us with 30 seconds o' screen time. big shock that the book delivery = snogging were fail for Gromnir?

is tough to tell what were going on with the combat. am a guy who typically makes use o' pause when available. the DA demo were a bit too frenetic for us. interface looked doable.

some hokey/clumsy dialogue that were 'posed to give us a glimpse o' mature consequences? *shrug* too little, but not enough to judge.

summary/reflect... velvetta-class cheese from the sex and some dialogue that were a bit awkward, plus combat that were occurring too quick for us to honest tell how characters were being controlled... coulda' done w/o the blood splatter and the salesmanship, but the demo weren't near as terrible as some suggested.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

If the VA is actually an english woman that's pretty sad.

I find this funny. So if the voice actor is actually English with an actual accent due to where she was raised, you find it sad that it doesn't meet your expectations of an English accent?

Well yeah, if the voice sounds like a bad impression of an english accent it still sounds like that regardless of whether it actually is or not. If she is english, then it means she's bad at acting naturally.

Well yeah, if the voice sounds like a bad impression of an english accent it still sounds like that regardless of whether it actually is or not. If she is english, then it means she's bad at acting naturally.

I would hardly call it bad, personally I just don't like her voice.

am not understanding all the vo complaints. nothing great, but nothing terrible. the french girl were a bit lacking... but with only a single line is tough to judge.

Its just complaining for the sake of it, it you think the VA is bad in DA you must think it is in every game. Now if people say they don't like a particular voice actor/actress thats different.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I find this funny. So if the voice actor is actually English with an actual accent due to where she was raised, you find it sad that it doesn't meet your expectations of an English accent?

Or what you think is an English accent is too narrow?

It still didn't sound right to me. Not as an english accent, just as voice acting.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Or what you think is an English accent is too narrow?

Well okay, it very well could be a mancunian lady trying to put on a BBC voice and failing

I'm just saying I have heard many English actors and whatnot, but I don't consider myself qualified to assess whether or not an accent is a legitimate English accent or not. Like pretty much all places, I imagine there are variations based on region. Heck, the Scottish and Irish sound distinctly different from the standard English accent.

Though the actress is Australian.

Edited by alanschu

I don't know about you guys, but I feel less and less excited with this game everytime I see a new video of it. Bioware has been recycling the same story over and over again and this particular one seems extremely cliche. I also dislike the armor design (how big can these things be anyway?)...

CRPGs made by Bioware have really been on the decline since the BG2 era. NWN1 was ok and Kotor 1 was a nice change of setting while keeping the d20 ruleset. Apart from that, Jade Empire was way too short (although I did like the setting) and had crappy character development and battle systems. I can't comment about Mass Effect since I haven't played it yet but it doesn't seem to feature anything revolutionary to the RPG genre...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I disagree. there are RPGs are getting better and better. I am kinda worried about DA. I don't think it'll be good as ME2 (or as good as ME1 was).

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I don't know about you guys, but I feel less and less excited with this game everytime I see a new video of it. Bioware has been recycling the same story over and over again and this particular one seems extremely cliche. I also dislike the armor design (how big can these things be anyway?)...

CRPGs made by Bioware have really been on the decline since the BG2 era. NWN1 was ok and Kotor 1 was a nice change of setting while keeping the d20 ruleset. Apart from that, Jade Empire was way too short (although I did like the setting) and had crappy character development and battle systems. I can't comment about Mass Effect since I haven't played it yet but it doesn't seem to feature anything revolutionary to the RPG genre...

Yeah, this was supposed to be the one that's Baldur's Gate all over again. Fat chance of that.

Sheesh, I barely slip under the wire with the minimum specs. Except for the fact I dont even have a Core 2, but a single core 3GHz.

Do you suppose they actually wrote code that utilizes multiple cores or its just a matter of the Core 2's being so much faster?

under 1% of all programmers know parallel programming... i do not believe that any of them are working for EA :ermm:

What?

My entire graduating class understands the basics of parallel programming.

It's different to understand it and make a proper clean parallel code, which 100% uses all the cores and processors available...

Here you get the link about it directly from Intel... Or are you gonna say they do not have a clue about it aswell??

http://blogs.intel.com/research/2007/11/q4_itj.php

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I don't know about you guys, but I feel less and less excited with this game everytime I see a new video of it. Bioware has been recycling the same story over and over again and this particular one seems extremely cliche.

you folks is putzes.

stated influences o' da:

bsg... ancient evil rising/returning? check.

game o' thrones... ancient evil rising/returning? check

how 'bout lotr? check.

thomas covenant books? check.

how 'bout something newer... like mazlan book of the fallen? crap, that gots a return o' ancient evil too.

above stuff is all so similar, right?

*snort*

whatever flaws DA is gonna be suffering from, mere fact that you gotta combat ancient evil/threat is NOT gonna be a genuine issue worth noting. just 'cause you post on a silly message board not mean you gotta go all numb from the neck up and start repeating complaints others is making.

btw, the real reason da will fail is 'cause o' the Origins is more noise than substance. is no wonder recent release material is focusing on blood and sex.

HA! Good Fun!

ps somebody should tell the biowarians that you cannot has your ancient evils periodically waking from "eternal" slumber.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The only complaint I have is the way the heavy armor & weapons look. Looks like it came from World of warcraft of Fable, not very medieval at all.

If the French walked around in metal like that and carried around such weapons, they wouldn't even have made it to Agincourt in time in 1415 to get their butts kicked.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

The only complaint I have is the way the heavy armor & weapons look. Looks like it came from World of warcraft of Fable, not very medieval at all.

If the French walked around in metal like that and carried around such weapons, they wouldn't even have made it to Agincourt in time in 1415 to get their butts kicked.

am equal perplexed by the seeming increase in weapon and armour size over the past few years. am not too bothered though. might as well complain that women armour looks like it were designed by victoria secret, chhainmail has always been able to lift and separate when it is worn by women... and having plate with special b00b modifications is nothing new either. you know how you can tell man from woman when they is wearing armour such as chain or plate? the women is typical shorter.

on second though, am thinking that Gromnir is bothered. am recalling when we could sneer at japanese crpgs and their ridiculous weapons and armour. voluptuous armoured elf chicks, in high heels, wielding swords that appears to weigh as much as small car. western games is fast approaching similar silliness. for chrissakes, don't take away from us the chance to mock asian games.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

If D:A were really 'dark', i.e. based on Game of Thrones or LOTR heavily armored women would be an exception rather than the rule. When it comes to women warriors everyone uses the example of Jeanne d'Arc but she didn't fight, just carried around a banner and afterwards she was burnt at the stake for it. Women could carry the title of knight, but weren't allowed to fight.

D:A world is supposed to have a dark, almost barbaric medieval feel (say Europe during the dark Middle Ages) yet there is no inequality between men & women. Of course, if it were like this a lot of female gamers would explode in rage, but at least it would be something refreshing and realistic in a RPG. Women becoming warriors in spite of society is for instance an important theme in LOTR.

EDIT: one could even balance things out by making the 'magic' only available to women and making men mad, like in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

am gonna slight disagree. is no good reason to alienate so many potential purchasers just 'cause o' reality. got no problem seeing the women fighting on equal terms with male counterparts... is a fantasy setting and not medieval europe. is arguable that there if there is dependable birth control methods available to DA setting women, they can be capable combatants.

HA! Good Fun!

Sheesh, I barely slip under the wire with the minimum specs. Except for the fact I dont even have a Core 2, but a single core 3GHz.

Do you suppose they actually wrote code that utilizes multiple cores or its just a matter of the Core 2's being so much faster?

under 1% of all programmers know parallel programming... i do not believe that any of them are working for EA :p

What?

My entire graduating class understands the basics of parallel programming.

It's different to understand it and make a proper clean parallel code, which 100% uses all the cores and processors available...

Talk about stating the obvious. Given the enormous market saturation of single processor systems that still exist, no developer is going to be able to design their code in such a way. Numbers like 100% sure are awesome in theory. Another unfortunate fact is that we can't even be certain of the number of cores in our multicore processors, which will continue to complicate the issue. However, for many software developers, increase core utilization will improve significantly as operating systems provide better interfaces for code to utilize an indefinite number of cores. Provide the support via system calls, operating systems, and compilers, and the transition get smoothed out significantly.

Currently though, game systems like the XBOX 360 have an advantage, in that the hardware is a particular specification. It is a lot easier to make use of multiple cores with your application when you know exactly how many cores you have to work with.

Though I feel that given the research done by large companies like Intel, and Universities etc., the focus is going to come on the backend operating system scale. At the University of Alberta a system was designed the would automatically utilize CPU resources over a network based on CPU demands. Create an interface with a system like that and suddenly taking some elementary programming ideas such as forking and threads, have the system it's installed on worry about the distributed processing, and suddenly multicore programming is not all that different from single core programming.

Here you get the link about it directly from Intel... Or are you gonna say they do not have a clue about it aswell??

http://blogs.intel.com/research/2007/11/q4_itj.php

Why on Earth would I say that a chip manufacturer would not have a clue about it?

They're also trying to promote their services because they're a business.

But hey, you made a claim and then supported it with a link. For that you get a cookie!

Edited by alanschu

Red Sonja wasn't dark fantasy (it was heroic fantasy, to be precise), but not very happy-go-lucky either, and Sonja was a female warrior.

for chrissakes, don't take away from us the chance to mock asian games.

Mocking looses it's purpose when the mocked people don't care, I think.