Dragon Age

Every buffoon in a suit of steel represents a lot of wealth and human energy behind it, kind of paints over alot of oportunities for a unique and feasible environment to be expressed with a general facade of 'pure epic' epic everything with some grit smeared on. What happened to the 'barbarian' from early shots?

The nature of the female sorceress character and the 'romance' as hinted in the recent trailer is off putting, it's rather ugly.

Without knowing it was a bio game with playing and enjoying JE and ME over the last couple years there would be zero chance that I would pick this up from its standalone appeal.

All deception is self deception all hypnosis is auto-hypnosis

This game can't possibly be worse than Oblivion.

SO bring it on! Can't wait.

edit: Actually, I can wait. But I'm sure I'll enjoy it well enough for what it is. Same as I did with Fallout 3.

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The assumptions in this thread are very entertaining.

All this from some E3 videos?

Er, forget the E3 videos, what about the new website? And marketing campaign? And that the developers are clearly embarrassed by the marketing campaign? And that on the website the origins / RPG stuff is hidden in a bit about 'The Hero', as if your are playing a game where you're a pre-defined character? And the Paper / Scissors... review that outs the frankly toe-curling romance content?

Hey, I know you are involved in all this and you know stuff we don't, but please don't take us for complete mugs.

Cheers

MC

I only interact with a small group of people on a consistent basis, but where are you getting the idea that the developers are clearly embarrassed? From Bio's boards?

I can agree that the decision to show the romance scene was a bit perplexing (though I do think the Dragon fight was pretty cool). I find that scene to be rather awkward in general. Though reading the rock paper shotgun review is entertaining as he describes the characters and Flemeth and the reason for the dragon fight. Not much else he can do based on the minutes of footage shown, but it is fun seeing the assumptions that had to be made :lol:

Though the author was keen to stress that he's only gotten a short glimpse of the game. I'm curious what the reasoning was to show off that part of the game in the behind closed doors showings.

The marketing I don't have a problem with really though. Though admittedly, I have no idea what the website used to look like. I do like the blood dragon though.

The marketing I don't have a problem with really though. Though admittedly, I have no idea what the website used to look like. I do like the blood dragon though.

I just went to look for the first time in months and the new website is a little jarring in comparison to the old version. The blood dragon looks pretty neat in the videos, but I can't say that I'm a fan of the version on the website. The big empty white spot on the top left and everything else on the right being shades of red makes it look like a big mess.

I can agree that the decision to show the romance scene was a bit perplexing (though I do think the Dragon fight was pretty cool). I find that scene to be rather awkward in general. Though reading the rock paper shotgun review is entertaining as he describes the characters and Flemeth and the reason for the dragon fight. Not much else he can do based on the minutes of footage shown, but it is fun seeing the assumptions that had to be made :thumbsup:

Though the author was keen to stress that he's only gotten a short glimpse of the game. I'm curious what the reasoning was to show off that part of the game in the behind closed doors showings.

I'd like to point out that the author of that article never wrote anything specific beyond childish lines, horrible acting, etc.

The assumptions in this thread are very entertaining.

All this from some E3 videos?

Er, forget the E3 videos, what about the new website? And marketing campaign? And that the developers are clearly embarrassed by the marketing campaign? And that on the website the origins / RPG stuff is hidden in a bit about 'The Hero', as if your are playing a game where you're a pre-defined character? And the Paper / Scissors... review that outs the frankly toe-curling romance content?

Hey, I know you are involved in all this and you know stuff we don't, but please don't take us for complete mugs.

Cheers

MC

I only interact with a small group of people on a consistent basis, but where are you getting the idea that the developers are clearly embarrassed? From Bio's boards?

I've been browsing a number of threads where concerns such as the ones raised here have been addressed by Dave Gaider. Now Dave has always engaged with the fans... so, on the now infamous sex scene he says...

I have a feeling that you could take the climactic romance scene out of almost any story and, presented out of context, it would probably come across as awkward at best. A good reason why we shouldn't do that, perhaps, but then marketing is not my department.

OK, it's a gentle rebuke to the marketing guys at EA, but you'll see other comments that share the hey-it's-those-chumps-up-at-marketing-not-me theme. Bio Kremlinologists may well translate this into 'Dave Gaider is pissed off with EA marketing.' If it is indeed the case that DA is a serious, mature, DaRK HeROIc FanTaSY (etc) and one or two scenes have been represented as what the game's all about just to market it to the non-CRPG market then I think he's got a point.

Then again, DA might be unintentionally hilarious, campy, mainstream CRPG fun. We'll see. But as usual, the problem is the usual Bio hype machine, which looks like it might have collided, messily with the Imperial Battlecruiser that is EA marketing.

Cheers

MC

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

You know that Bioware has it's own marketing department, and Bioware is solely responsible for that Manson/sex scene nonsense? Seems like they learned a thing or two from EA...

No, I didn't, I'm as guilty as the next bloke of making assumptions. It still makes me wonder about the volte face. EA are likely to have had an input, right?

sonsofgygax.JPG

Bio is the developer, EA is the publisher, I'd be surprised if corporate EA marketing has nothing to do with the game. Still, I suspect most of the marketing is Bio's idea, but EA should at least be doing demographic research :) and ancillary things of that sort.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I've been browsing a number of threads where concerns such as the ones raised here have been addressed by Dave Gaider. Now Dave has always engaged with the fans... so, on the now infamous sex scene he says...

I have a feeling that you could take the climactic romance scene out of almost any story and, presented out of context, it would probably come across as awkward at best. A good reason why we shouldn't do that, perhaps, but then marketing is not my department.

OK, it's a gentle rebuke to the marketing guys at EA, but you'll see other comments that share the hey-it's-those-chumps-up-at-marketing-not-me theme. Bio Kremlinologists may well translate this into 'Dave Gaider is pissed off with EA marketing.' If it is indeed the case that DA is a serious, mature, DaRK HeROIc FanTaSY (etc) and one or two scenes have been represented as what the game's all about just to market it to the non-CRPG market then I think he's got a point.

Then again, DA might be unintentionally hilarious, campy, mainstream CRPG fun. We'll see. But as usual, the problem is the usual Bio hype machine, which looks like it might have collided, messily with the Imperial Battlecruiser that is EA marketing.

Cheers

MC

I don't know if it was EA's decision to market the game in that way or not. That's the only one I saw (I've been checking out the Bio forums the past day now), but Mr. Gaider does have his fair share of "Just because we've shown some videos that display stuff different from other videos, does not mean that the stuff we displayed from other videos is no longer in the game" type posts too.

I think the big thing that affects my different perspective of how the trailers seem is that I have had the luxury of playing the game first.

Bio is the developer, EA is the publisher, I'd be surprised if corporate EA marketing has nothing to do with the game. Still, I suspect most of the marketing is Bio's idea, but EA should at least be doing demographic research :) and ancillary things of that sort.

In most companies, everything considered as marketing and PR has to be approved and signed by a superior. For Dragon Age, that would mean the producer. However, as someone on this board pointed out, no one seems to know since DA is on its third producer, hence its identity-crisis.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The new producer must be a Marilyn Mansion fan, otherwise I can't explain the dumb move into this "new ****" marketing direction.

Maybe he was trying to say that the game is ****, but couldn't find a more appropriate song?

^ I've no reason to disbelieve you.

Personally, I think Bio have form for saying one thing and delivering another over NWN1. Let's hoped they've learnt from the experience.

I didn't mean it in an elitist sort of thing. I more meant that I don't see the trailers as being detrimental, because in the back of my mind I still know how the game is. For everyone else, they don't have that luxury, so I can understand the cause for concern.

No worries, we still think DA is gonna be a grand game. It's just...why haven't marketing showed the majestic and grand side from DA then? Are they hiding something?

I think it will be fun, but here at the Schloss Monte, our main query is will it be fun in the way the developers intended?

I'm waiting for Vol to turn up to lecture me about hype... but Bio's insistence that each of their games raises the bar, to the extent that it's basically the video gaming version of Penicillin, is lame. Wouldn't it make a refreshing change for them to say, "we've made a game. It's fun."

Hey, it's shipping with tools. This is a massive :thumbsup: and kudos to Bio. Fans can put it right - look at the Total War series. Plus, I can see an Obz forum 'make-your-own-cutscene' competition coming on...

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

No worries, we still think DA is gonna be a grand game. It's just...why haven't marketing showed the majestic and grand side from DA then? Are they hiding something?

'Cause they think it's the majestic and grand side of DA? It's from the same people who think "Shepard can die" is the marketing idea of the millennium?

Then again, people buy the idea for some reason.

And... I'm completely unexcited about Dragon Age right now.

Really? Why is that? Burned out from waiting?

Unknown, but I suspect that's it.

In general, cRPGs and computer gaming is less appealing to me right now than they were a year ago. I plan to pick up the game when it comes out, and believe I'll enjoy it, but can't summon the excitement or interest I felt previously.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

And... I'm completely unexcited about Dragon Age right now.

Really? Why is that? Burned out from waiting?

Unknown, but I suspect that's it.

In general, cRPGs and computer gaming is less appealing to me right now than they were a year ago. I plan to pick up the game when it comes out, and believe I'll enjoy it, but can't summon the excitement or interest I felt previously.

Maybe you're getting old? Do you have a strange need to own a hundred cats and knit little hats for every one of them?

Also, to enslave nations with necromancy.

Alternatively, to play a wandering barbarian dwarven prince.

Maybe you're getting old? Do you have a strange need to own a hundred cats and knit little hats for every one of them?

No, but I have noticed that the crawling poop and milkspew factories called 'babies' are kinda cute. I sometimes find myself thinking it would be neat to push a watermellon sized human being through my happy parts and then have it leach off me emotionally and physically for 18 years.

I've been told that's a sign of old age.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.