What's your opinion on Alpha Protocol?

How good do you think AP will be?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How good do you think AP will be?

• One of the the best games ever did by Black Isle/Obsidian.
    • A very good one.
    • Worth a try.
    • Don't like the idea.

I think it will be a very good game if they take the time required to complete and polish it.

Edited by pcrk2

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.

I really hated the whole system for romance. I guess I found it too easy, all in all, but maybe that was the point.

Oh wait, I forgot, I haven't gotten the chance to play Alpha Protocol.

I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

Was that hard to give a straight answer?

It's obvious that there are only a few interviews and previews of the game but it has sufficient details to form an idea of how it could be in the end

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.

I'm afraid there's still too little info. on the game itself other than the general idea of the theme and gameplay to make judgement yet.

Sure the ideas and concepts sounds cool so far, but its the execution of it which is very important though. That's when I can finally provide an opinion of it.

I haven't got a clue.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'm hoping for the best. It certainly has the potential to be Obsidian's magnum opus in terms of multiple approaches and sophisticated yet flexible narrative. What remains to be seen in my view is whether any and all of the possible approaches are fun, and whether the player's interaction with the narrative is significant enough to set a new standard.

AP is one of those games where, even if the reviews suck, I'll buy it because it's the sort of concept I'd have to experience firsthand, even if the execution fails. If it's good, I'll want to play it for obvious reasons. If it's bad, I'll want to play it just to see how they could have possibly messed up the premise.

I think it's going to be a very good game. Maybe not the best one out there but something good to look forward to. I could say I'm a little hyped since it's been a while since Obs/BI made a game that was so versatile on the approach of each mission.

In KotoR II, you either had to slice through a bunch of bad guys and give someone something or you could slice through a bunch of bad guys and give something to a bad guy that could help or a good guy that really needed it. The "slice through a bunch of bad guys" part was always there, but the story, dialogue and characters more than made up for it.

I believe with the advancement of technology and the lifting of limitations to a point where, basically, you can go almost all the way to your mind's extent has really helped this game be all it can be it terms of versatility, as far as the missions go.

Most BI games in the past where very good, I'd go so far as to say exquisite, as RPGs, but were limited to a very standard audience and alienated to younger gamers. Games like FF7 and Baldur's Gate, though not the best samples ever in the RPG genre, were vastly more influential and addressed a wider audience.

All in all, this may not be the best game Obs/BI has ever made, so it's definitely a lot more casual gamer friendly, but one that, I hope, will have an impact on RPGs and Action/RPGs, as well as the people who chose to play this game.

To conclude, I may not have the same expectations as I had from BI games in the past, but I am certainly hoping it will be more successful. Either way, Obs, you got my 60 bucks for this game :sorcerer:

I don't know I don't know I don't know....

Now my biggest wish is that Alpha will have more than 60 hours game time by play once.

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

I think it is going to be revolutionary. Neither Black Isle nor Obsidian has ever done a spy game before :blink:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I think it'll be called a Mass Effect clone.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I can't wait to play the game...though If I remember the post I read yesterday in the martial arts thread, I'm a little sad...I just want some awesome kicking attacks, but from what the post I read, there wont be many at all compared to the punching moves...:) , now I'm sad...but I'll still get the game...I'll just always think in the back of my head as to what my perfect game would be...that game I'm never going to get to play :(

I think it has the potential to be great, and that this gives Obsidian a chance to make a truly great RPG without LucasArts forcing them to release it before it's finished.

Which brings me to what could go wrong: Please, whatever you do, do not rush this game. Something of this scale takes time, and I don't want to see this suffer a similar fate to KotOR2.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Remember, KotOR 2 was their first title with a new team. It wasn't only LucasArts fault that they failed to meet expectations, it was their own inexperience. Now, after two full games and one expansion, I'd assume they're all more comfortable in their roles and work better as a team. I would be very surprised to see them release another KotOR 2 again.

I still have high hopes for Alpha Protocol. Actually even more so now after having played Fallout 3. Do you remember reading the Fallout 3 previews and how they kept mentioning drinking from toilets and the Fatman and stuff? I thought it sounded horrible! Now I'm playing the game and it works. It really works. So I'm going to try to keep an open mind when it comes to infinite ammo, no looting from bodies and other design decision I haven't had a chance to try yet.

I will not vote (the voting options are flawed) but I will say this: I think Alpha Protocol will be the best game Obsidian Entertainment has released so far, when it comes out.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'm extremely optimistic even though I have a lot of reservations, which is kind of big thing for me since I'm a woefully pessimistic person. Go OB.

Oh Jimmy, you were so funny.

Don't let me down.

From habit he lifts his watch; it shows him its blank face.

Zero hour, Snowman thinks. Time to go.

Personally, I'm a bit skeptical. I'm not a fan of action-RPGs in general as I often find the combat A) to simplistic and uninteresting both from a RPG and action standpoint, and B) way to plentiful.

Mass Effect is a good example of this and I really hope AP will be doing some different things to make things more interesting.

I guess the 'genre' (3rd person actionRPG) is what I'm holding against the game at the moment. Other than that I think the spy setting, while being something I'm not enormously fond of, could be quite interesting in a RPG format. Especially since it's present day. It's had good people working on it as well, Mitsoda and Avellone, so the writing should be up to par as well.

But yeah, worried about gameplay.

I also think this game will be met with so-so receptions from the gaming media/mainstream gamers. Obsidian has a lot of baggage of being Biowares little brother that makes buggy games and I think this game will be held up as something trying to be like Mass Effect (even though they will obviously be different from one another in many ways), but not quite succeeding. Obsidian doesn't have the clout of Bioware and Bethesda (however unfair that is) when it comes to the mainstream and I think we will unfortunately see this when AP gets released.

Of course that's a lot of guesswork from me, but eh.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Deux Ex, done. Was ok that it was more sci-fi than spy, but didn't really do it for me.

NOLF, the demo was enough to put me off - was okay again, but not enough to win my money.

I can't stand the spy genre.

Edited by kalniel

Well, can't please them all.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds