What are you playing now?

Gorth

RotA starts to grow on me. Just finished the jungle island, and now have the hot Atalanta on board the Argo. The game quite follows the Bioware formula successfully, without the timewasting bull**** like looting and Bio-boring combat though. Writing is competent, character likeness above average, art is mostly nice, voice acting average, facial expressions are horrible, and overall nice quests and motivating story. It's not the second coming for RPG standards, but nonetheless a very competent one.

Do you mean Rise of the Argonauts? is that even out yet?

Fortune favors the bald.

I started doing the Chinatown quests in Bloodlines and gave up, it's like a completely different game. I don't know what they were thinking, or what the writers were drinking.

So, a backlog of Hitman:Blood Money, Sins of a Solar Empire, CivIV:Beyond the Sword and Stalker: Clear Sky. All unopened. Gah, I wish I had like a million free weekends...

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

So, a backlog of Hitman:Blood Money, Sins of a Solar Empire, CivIV:Beyond the Sword and Stalker: Clear Sky. All unopened. Gah, I wish I had like a million free weekends...

My manager at gamestop has shelves and shelves of games, most of them unopened because he's been working so much.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

PoP, Fallout, maybe some Mass Effect.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Been playing through Lost Planet. I love these monster designs. The game needs more features, the story and dialogue suck, but the graphics are amazing and the combat really fun.

I should really get my hands on PoP though.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I started doing the Chinatown quests in Bloodlines and gave up, it's like a completely different game. I don't know what they were thinking, or what the writers were drinking.

The pull of Civilization is strong. I read this post this morning and all day I've had this urge to play Civ4. :lol:

Already? Is it really short or are you a gamer addict?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I just finished Rise of the Argonauts. It was a fun ride.

Good to hear. I suppose I'm mostly interested because the setting is a bit different, and I quite like Greek mythology, but does the game have much to offer someone who doesn't really like fighting/action/combos and all that?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

The pull of Civilization is strong. I read this post this morning and all day I've had this urge to play Civ4. :lol:

Ha! I didn't read that post this morning, but I did decide to jump into a game of CivIV (BTS, with the latest BUG Mod, which doesn't change gameplay at all, adds a lot of more informative feedback). It's been a few months, so I stepped my usual difficulty down to Prince.

Ha! I didn't read that post this morning, but I did decide to jump into a game of CivIV (BTS, with the latest BUG Mod, which doesn't change gameplay at all, adds a lot of more informative feedback). It's been a few months, so I stepped my usual difficulty down to Prince.

I just discovered that my second BTS CD is screwed up. It's got what looks like some sort residue all over the back ot it that won't wipe off and it won't install. I don't want to play just Warlords, I want BTS damnit! :lol:

.. it doesn't come out for two more days.

Also, the characters in the game are a bit odd. Pan as an old, wise healer type? This is a god best known for having goat legs and trying to sleep with anything that moved. If the PC asks Pan for medicine, he should give you hallucinogenic mushrooms. After watching the pretty lights, the PC should pass out and wake with a burning soreness in his rectum. *That's* how you modernize Greek gods.

I just discovered that my second BTS CD is screwed up. It's got what looks like some sort residue all over the back ot it that won't wipe off and it won't install. I don't want to play just Warlords, I want BTS damnit! ;)

Is it possible to get *too* excited over playing a computer game?

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Good to hear. I suppose I'm mostly interested because the setting is a bit different, and I quite like Greek mythology, but does the game have much to offer someone who doesn't really like fighting/action/combos and all that?

Not really. The game is quite linear, so exploration and looting and sidequests are practically non-existant (there's a quest though where you have to find mead, but you basically just stumble over it). I'm also not very familiar with the Argonauts tale, so you shouldn't expect a true re-imagination of the Greek classic.

In some way, it reminds me of Jade Empire, though the Chinese premise is replaced with a Greek-Warcraftish one. Dialogs are always linked with the gods alignment in mind, so there's no way you can play let's say a bastard (although in one case I could distribute a nasty punch-into-face). You always chose our line to favor a god, but that's okay I guess. After all, you play King Jason, not some me-wanna-be-a-Jedi-Rogue-rowdy or something. Overall writing is quite competent, although the voice actors aren't on par with say Mass Effect. Pan always gives you insides about some of the background knowledge, for example when activating s shrine.

The strength of the game is that it tells a motivating story from start to finish, and albeit it follows the Bioware-design-school, it sometimes comes up with quite a few nice suprises on it's own. There're also some mini-games involved that are tight into the quests. Like you have to argue with a philosopher, and try to convince the crowd with your arguments (a ripp-off from Jade Empire). The arena is also a ripp-off of Kotor, but in this case it's actually fun. Combat is always very visceral and sharp, you basically only have four weapons, but these actually feel different and make a differnce. You also get a new armor after you found a descendent of a god (the main quests), and you can always replace these on the Argo, the ship equivalent to the Normandy of ME. Your four followers are Atalanta (bow and arrow, tree hugger), Pan (philisopher, mage), Hercules (wrestler, not very subtle) and that fourth guy (spear's man, braggart). You can take two along with you, and they always contemplate their thoughst within conversations, or give some general thoughts about the current situation. Pan is probably my most favorite one, as he's quite chatty. In addition, you also meet some other characters you can take along with the Argo, though they're basically irrelevant to the gameplay, as you can only chat with them a bit. The levels are also quite huge, especially the georgous Tarantara (?), sort of a greenish hell, which was really amazing. Upgrading works with deeds, some of the through dialogs, some through kinda like achievements (kill 20 Ionian soldiers, you get a deed). You spend these until you get a "level" up, and then you spend these on god powers and passive feats. If you put alot points into Hermes, you probably will be a master with a sword, Athena with the spear, Ares with the mace, Apollo with the shield, among other things like quicker dodging, more health and so on. Overall, I liked this system more than the 20 or so skills you spend in Mass Effect that didn't seem to have a noticable impact.

So, if you like "RPG lite", a good story, fast and brutal combat , then you'll like RotA. If you seek something like Baldur's Gate or Torment, then you'll be disappointed.

Edited by Morgoth

.. it doesn't come out for two more days.

Also, the characters in the game are a bit odd. Pan as an old, wise healer type? This is a god best known for having goat legs and trying to sleep with anything that moved. If the PC asks Pan for medicine, he should give you hallucinogenic mushrooms. After watching the pretty lights, the PC should pass out and wake with a burning soreness in his rectum. *That's* how you modernize Greek gods.

Pan is a Satyr, a talking one. And no, he's not a healer. More like a mix of philosopher and mage. He also distributes quite some punches with his walking stick.

Edited by Morgoth

^^ I'm waiting on my copy to arrive!

Astro Boy: Omega Factor on bus rides. It's really awesome, but quite hard.. I keep one easy, one normal and one hard file, playing whichever fits my mood. Great fast portable fun.

Tried to play Lock's Quest on bus rides which doesn't really work. Can't skip cutscenes ;) And the waves of enemies can get so tiring, hopefully the difficulty picks up because right now it's just droning.

Skipping on with the last case of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. The bitch admits to the crime and expects me to get her out of her mess. Oh well, that's what I love about the game <3

Exploring the demos of EVE Online and Mount & Blade.............

Edited by Nikolas

I just discovered that my second BTS CD is screwed up. It's got what looks like some sort residue all over the back ot it that won't wipe off and it won't install. I don't want to play just Warlords, I want BTS damnit! >_<

Is it possible to get *too* excited over playing a computer game?

:lol:

It looks like there was a piece of tape stuck to the bottom of the CD at one point and when it was removed it left some of the adhesive behind. :p

Not really. The game is quite linear, so exploration and looting and sidequests are practically non-existant (there's a quest though where you have to find mead, but you basically just stumble over it). I'm also not very familiar with the Argonauts tale, so you shouldn't expect a true re-imagination of the Greek classic.

In some way, it reminds me of Jade Empire, though the Chinese premise is replaced with a Greek-Warcraftish one. Dialogs are always linked with the gods alignment in mind, so there's no way you can play let's say a bastard (although in one case I could distribute a nasty punch-into-face). You always chose our line to favor a god, but that's okay I guess. After all, you play King Jason, not some me-wanna-be-a-Jedi-Rogue-rowdy or something. Overall writing is quite competent, although the voice actors aren't on par with say Mass Effect. Pan always gives you insides about some of the background knowledge, for example when activating s shrine.

The strength of the game is that it tells a motivating story from start to finish, and albeit it follows the Bioware-design-school, it sometimes comes up with quite a few nice suprises on it's own. There're also some mini-games involved that are tight into the quests. Like you have to argue with a philosopher, and try to convince the crowd with your arguments (a ripp-off from Jade Empire). The arena is also a ripp-off of Kotor, but in this case it's actually fun. Combat is always very visceral and sharp, you basically only have four weapons, but these actually feel different and make a differnce. You also get a new armor after you found a descendent of a god (the main quests), and you can always replace these on the Argo, the ship equivalent to the Normandy of ME. Your four followers are Atalanta (bow and arrow, tree hugger), Pan (philisopher, mage), Hercules (wrestler, not very subtle) and that fourth guy (spear's man, braggart). You can take two along with you, and they always contemplate their thoughst within conversations, or give some general thoughts about the current situation. Pan is probably my most favorite one, as he's quite chatty. In addition, you also meet some other characters you can take along with the Argo, though they're basically irrelevant to the gameplay, as you can only chat with them a bit. The levels are also quite huge, especially the georgous Tarantara (?), sort of a greenish hell, which was really amazing. Upgrading works with deeds, some of the through dialogs, some through kinda like achievements (kill 20 Ionian soldiers, you get a deed). You spend these until you get a "level" up, and then you spend these on god powers and passive feats. If you put alot points into Hermes, you probably will be a master with a sword, Athena with the spear, Ares with the mace, Apollo with the shield, among other things like quicker dodging, more health and so on. Overall, I liked this system more than the 20 or so skills you spend in Mass Effect that didn't seem to have a noticable impact.

So, if you like "RPG lite", a good story, fast and brutal combat , then you'll like RotA. If you seek something like Baldur's Gate or Torment, then you'll be disappointed.

That actually sounds like something intriguing. I take it that it is on PC, is the performance ok-ish? bugs and so on?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Dead Space.

I picked this, Ratchet & Clank Future, and Resistance 2 in a buy two get one free deal at work.

While I'm not the type to jump at this style (M Night Shamalans good stuff? yeah I freak out) but to me this isn't so much scary as "Holy CRAP, I can't believe I survived that!" Unlike Yahtzee I don't prefer the Ripper, my baby is the plasma cutter (but I've been pumping more upgrades into my suit as I can). I haven't tried the other two but I'm gonna push to finish Dead Space and try to pick up a Call of Duty:World at War. Or somthing else good used once I finish dead space (I intend to do it within a week so I can return it within the limit)

I'm on chapter 4

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.