What do you look for in an RPG?

All these battles we've recently had over ME vs KOTOR in the wrong threads got me thinking. Most people don't seem to react to games the same way as myself. I think a few years ago I was pretty well aligned with the mainstream, but not any more. What do you look for in an RPG? I look for interesting quest design, and more generally I find my favorite games have story told through gameplay. Specific game mechanics don't matter so much, so long as they are at least somewhat entertaining.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

This is extremely hard ot narrow down but:

Combat: Must be of a tactically oriented kind where there is little filler and preferably good mechanics. But those mechanics shouldn't overshadow the design and crafting of each encounter to make it fun.

Story: Preferably well written for motivation. Should preferably be somewhat personal for the "hero" as the whole save x stuff gets old.

World: The world should preferably be interesting so that I can care for what happens in it and to it. The world shouldn't just be expanded through conversation but also through books and similar devices.

Characters: Should in a sense mirror what is going on and give context, comments and in general respond to how the "hero" affects the world. I also like party RPGs because the presence of an actual party means increased tactical considerations.

Choices and consequences doesn't an RPG make but if used correctly (ME bug queen was a weak example of using it well) it can make the whole thing more engaging and loads more fun.

It should preferably contain fun.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Yes, an RPG can be built around global choices and consequences (which is Iron Tower's approach) but I don't consider that essential for all types of RPG's. I do think that even a relatively linear story driven RPG must provide at least localized choices for the player, else I don't really see where roleplaying comes in.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I've decided what I look for in an RPG, basically, is a point-and-click adventure game.

That's one of the things I look for, too. Interesting characters, storylines, some good dramatic moments (comedy is always nice, too). Gabriel Knight with stats. :)

Another is a sense of scale, of embarking on a lengthy journey. 'Epicness', if you like.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Characters*. Story**.

Stats***.

Gameplay****.

*: I want figures to show a personality

**: Compelling, drawing me in, not necessarily of grand scale

***: I like number crunching, complex tech-trees etc.

****: It should be good.

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

1) I want a fun factor. There can be lots of flaws, but if the game is fun, I'll forgive it. If it's technically flawless but dull, then I'm not going to play it. This is still something I do for entertainment...not an academic exercise.

2) Strong story, where PC choices affect the world believably. I don't want a world where everything happens regardless of what the PC does. Or where nothing seemed to change at the end of the adventure. I want a real sense that the PC is interacting with the world. And don't have "oh, your PC is going to be railroaded now so we'll have the PC act with complete stupidity" moments. SoU with the Medusa, HotU with the chest with your gear. NWN2 with Bishop and Qara/Sand, things the PC KNOWS are going to go wrong, and no matter what, the Player has to play dumb and accept them. That's weak writing, to me. I don't mind an overwhelming odds or being trapped. Just make it a situation where the trap really isn't so obvious I can't see it from half the story away, or something that only an utter moron would do.

3) Combat? Don't make it so painful I have to be a grognard or an action-game junkie to like it. But make it believably efficient, and every combat should be winnable without gimmick tactics. Note, I'm not saying an end boss shouldn't be impressive and powerful. I just mean I shouldn't need to munchkin the game to win (like most strategies to beat Sarevok at the end of BG1 revolved around, for instance). The actual engine means diddly to me. Just so it's efficient, fun, and not terribly twitchy.

4) Characters, I want intriguing core NPCs with meaningful interactions with the PC and the world. The closer they are to the PC, the more I want them to have depth and impact the story. Do I want a romance from one? If it's believable, yes. If it enhances the depth of the story or the interaction of the PCs, yes. Not having one to have one. Aliana in the Lord's of Darkness mod for NWN1 was very good. Robin in tdon's Sanctum of the Archmage is also good. Safira in MotB wasn't bad...but it was sudden. Many I've felt were simply there to fill out a checklist, including Casimir and Elanee...which was infuriating because I 'liked' what I saw of both of those NPCs. But there wasn't enough.

5) Finally, I want a world that's believable, has a strong sense of history and lore, and I want to be able to spend time learning that in-game. I don't want a setting like the Forgotten Realms, which is a little of everything til nothing is unique about it. Make a world I would WANT to be involved in. Whether that's saving it, saving myself, or both.

Edited by RangerSG

Choices and consequences are the only things that really essential in an RPG, to me. Of course, all aspects of an RPG should be interesting and well designed for it to be a good game, but if the choices and consequences aren't there than isn't much of an RPG.

Also, the consequences should be central to the narrative, and should really affect the world and people around you.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The by far most important thing is that I want to care about the character(s) I play.

Secondary concerns are story (although this has a large impact on #1) and good gameplay (in a isometric IE game that means good tactical combat, in a game like ME that means good shooter parts).

*edit* I do agree that choices and concequences need to be at the heart of the game for it to be able to be classified as an RPG. Otherwise it is an adventure game.

Edited by mrmud

Good story, with lots of attention to detail, and many deep and interesting NPCs.

Easy to learn character creation, with good customization options, but not so it's bloated with them.

Fun combat.

Some non-linearity... say linear at times to advance the plot.

Complex quests and sidequests.

I don't care whether I'm the Chosen One or not, or whether I'm out to Save The World or not.... just make the trek from beginning to end fun to do.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

the most important thing in a CRPG is booty.

preferably lots and lots of hot female sorcerer booty, although hot girl elf or tiefling booty is also acceptable.

also, plenty of phat l00t.

and dragons.

dumber than a bag of hammers

^ What newc said goes without saying.

Also -

* Good character generation and development, as customizable as possible and with a tangible effect on the environment (i.e. my decisions are acknowledged)

* Exploration / scale of game for replayability

* Good NPCs

* Humour, nothing worse than a game taking itself too seriously

* Crunchy, challenging tactical combat

* Nice to look at - that's not meant to mean rig-grinding eye candy but well designed, good GUI etc (Fallout's PIPboy springs to mind, so do the IE game "character sheets" as well as the BG series overland maps.

* Mod-able, overlooked but additional content always floats my boat

Not asking too much am I?

Ideal RPG - The tactics / mission interface of Jagged Alliance 2, the NPC ethos of BG2, the scale of the BG series, the tactical combat of TOEE and the general tone / attitude of the BIS IWD/ NWN2 games. Oh, and as easy to mod as NWN with old-fashioned shoebox size packaging and a cloth map.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

i think good voice overs is a must,

if it wasn't for the talented woman who did Aribeth's vocie NWN would've been unplayable

also, the guy who read the epilogue in NWN2 was amazing, he truly put a golden finish to that game

Lois: Honey, what do you say we uh...christen these new sheets, huh?

Peter: Why Lois Griffin, you naughty girl.

Lois: Hehehe...that's me.

Peter: You dirty hustler.

Lois: Hehehehe...

Peter: You filthy, stinky prostitute.

Lois: Aha, ok I get it...

Peter: You foul, venereal disease carrying, street walking whore.

Lois: Alright, that's enough!

In an rpg I look for a good story, great characters, coherent world that is somewhat meaningfull. I also look for fun combat and for graphics and visuals that enhance the gameplay. I also want an intuitive and user friendly interface. Fun combat is of course somewhat subjective, but for me it is somewhat easily accessible, but not necessarily easy combat. I like it when combat is done with a strategic thinking i.e. I have to plan out what I'm doing.

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

I've come to realize that what I enjoy most are games that are a mix of genres, mostly FPS and RPG. I've become a hybrid player. I want twitch combat, governed by RPG stats. I want character development, quests and dialogue from a RPG and a strong story that drives me on. If vehicles can somehow be incorporated into the game, great. If there's racing involved, even better! Basically the good parts from every good game ever released rolled into one!

But I guess the most important factor must be the story. Some games seemingly have all the necessary ingredients to entertain me, yet somehow fails to pull me in and keep my interest.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

if it wasn't for the talented woman who did Aribeth's vocie NWN would've been unplayable

also, the guy who read the epilogue in NWN2 was amazing, he truly put a golden finish to that game

You mean the NWN2 OC? The slideshow? oh dear. That was a painfully uninspired ending. It seemed to scream, "Sorry, we're out of money." The battle slideshow before with Nasher was painful too. Why not cutscenes? I know people here tsk tsk Bio for using them too often. But if there's ever times story-wise for a cutscene over a monologue, it's to heighten the dramatic tension of the plot right before the end-game and to provide closure to the story at it's conclusion. If we could have a cutscene before the duel in Act2, why couldn't we have had them there, where they made much more sense? The slideshows gave off a terribly familiar feeling (for those of us who played TSL) of 'lack of finish' to the NWN2 OC.

You mean the NWN2 OC? The slideshow? oh dear. That was a painfully uninspired ending. It seemed to scream, "Sorry, we're out of money." The battle slideshow before with Nasher was painful too. Why not cutscenes? I know people here tsk tsk Bio for using them too often. But if there's ever times story-wise for a cutscene over a monologue, it's to heighten the dramatic tension of the plot right before the end-game and to provide closure to the story at it's conclusion. If we could have a cutscene before the duel in Act2, why couldn't we have had them there, where they made much more sense? The slideshows gave off a terribly familiar feeling (for those of us who played TSL) of 'lack of finish' to the NWN2 OC.

Slideshow at end to show consequences of your actions is ancient BIS/OE trademark that has been present since Fallout. poolofpoo was being clearly sarcastic though because narrating was horrible.

And Nasher clip wasn't cutscene for obvious reason; GAME COULDN'T HAVE HANDLED IT

Remember resource hogness of NWN2's engine

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

poolofpoo was being clearly sarcastic though because narrating was horrible.

i think he was in deadly earenst. after all, the voice acting for Aribeth in the original NWN was the stuff of legend.

i hope she got more work after that.

Edited by newc0253

dumber than a bag of hammers

What do I demand in an RPG?

FUN!!!

An engaging, well written story, that captures MY imagination and immerses MY character in a world that has a rich history, which is revealed slowly to the player character in different ways, not all at once as the game progresses. A colorful world setting, that feels and is unique. Also choice's are a good thing and should be of utmost importance in RPG storytelling.

Custom character creation, I like many options. I do not want my character to be the same as everyone else who plays the same game, make me feel as if it's MY journey.

NPC's that come alive and have their own motivations, and lets keep character interactions RTRP (Right Time Right Place). Romance? Don't really care as long as its done well and RTRP. Dialog with NPC's check KoToR2 conversations between PC and Kreia, Atris for examples excellent work!!!

Forced companions, plot specific companions are a no-no.

Rewarding, memorable, challenging, non-repetitive combat, with many different ways to solve conflicts. Including avoiding conflict entirely. (If its D&D, how about making up some new monster, spells that the player is unfamiliar with, cant believe this has not been done yet)

Risk reward should be equal, wouldnt mind higher risk and little to no reward either.

Excellent voice acting and music that sets the mood is a must.

FUN!!!

Edited by Kelverin

Good story.

Good well written npcs.

Character development at start up, looks, stats, class. Skin color, hair type, hair color, facial features and other body alterations at character creation.

Good voice overs.

Excellent music.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Slideshow at end to show consequences of your actions is ancient BIS/OE trademark that has been present since Fallout. poolofpoo was being clearly sarcastic though because narrating was horrible.

And Nasher clip wasn't cutscene for obvious reason; GAME COULDN'T HAVE HANDLED IT

Remember resource hogness of NWN2's engine

Yeah, NWN2 especially at the beginning was not terribly optimized. Neither was NWN1 to be honest.

And I do think that the previous was being serious, because most people do think Aribeth's voice work was good, even if they hate her character. And to be fair, she's memorable, the only thing memorable in that OC. What HotU did with her character was poor, the HotU story would've been better if they'd not tried to tie together the OC into it. No fake Sharwyn, and no mention of Aribeth.

I want the ability to play a female character, for roleplaying purposes. Don't make me an ugly scarred ugly man, thanks.

Urg, men. I hate men. FREAKING MEN. I'LL KILL THEM ALL.

Don't ever force me to play a man. I hate them so much. What a useless waste of breathing space.

Now, roleplaying a woman - now we're talking, especially if you get to romance other female characters in the game. I want roleplaying options like that. :lol::-:brows:

I also want:

Good story.

Good well written npcs.

Character development at start up, looks, stats, class. Skin color, hair type, hair color, facial features and other body alterations at character creation.

Good voice overs.

Excellent music.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)