Games You Own But Haven't Beat Yet

Bokishi

Nowadays on (yeah, I'm looking at you NwN) it's like "w00t, my uber l33t Monk 11/Fighter 12/Invisible Blade 5/Divine Champion 2 with 18 attacks via flurry-of-blows and perfect two weapon fighting w/ dual +5 kamas w/ 15d6 elemental damage can take down the Balor in 1.26 seconds...not counting bleeding damage".

Don't blame NWN, that's one of the many reasons 3rd edition sucks $#%*$*&

Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun -- Bleh

Morrowind -- Bleh

Red Alert 2 -- Didn't hold my interest like the first one.

Myth 2: Soulblighter -- Same as Above

The Witcher -- On hold til the expanded edition is released.

Neverwinter Nights 2 + Mask of the Betrayer -- it's on the to do list

Assassin's Creed -- I'll get there someday... after the Witcher... and NWN2... and by then I'll own Mass Effect... and then likely Alpha Protocol, Aliens, Fallout 3, Storm of Zehir and Spore. Then of course I'll have to replay KotOR 2 with the TSLRP. Assassin's Creed could be on this list for a long time.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

The GTA series for PC (Never finished any of them)

Neverwinter Nights 1

Assassins Creed (A better game came along)

Medieval Total War 2, it's one of my favorite games, but I've never finished a playthrough. As Kaftan says, it gets too easy after you've gotten over your initial expansions.

ToEE I actually never played more than 20 minutes of the game in total, I liked it very much, but I got distracted at the time and never picked it up again.

The Witcher I only just started it a few weeks ago, it was so broing I decided to play through Neverwinter Nights 2 and Mask of The Betrayer instead.

Oblivion I've tried.. I really have..

Fortune favors the bald.

the above games were not finished 'cause 'pon reaching a certain point we realized that the only reason we were still playing is 'cause o' some fatalist notion 'bout completing what we had started, regardless o' the pain or boredom.

mechwarrior 3

did not finish 'cause technical issues were too distracting to allow us to continue.

HA! Good Fun!

Just curious if you can remember what the problem you had with this game was. I quite enjoyed Mechwarrior 3, certainly moreso than I did 4. Only glitch I ever ran into was the "invisible cannon" on the second level. Blowing off a mech's legs from beyond visual range with a bank of ER PPC's was great fun for me. :(

The Witcher (crap computer, too much lag)

Gothic 3 (crap computer, too much lag, and it's Gothic 3)

Bloodlines (didn't enjoy the first try, should go back to it)

I finish nearly every game I buy though, just because I'm really cautious(poor) and tenacious(a sucker).

I only buy about 3-4 a year, so I usually play through them all the way, but on the top of my pile right now is GTA. It's a huge game and it's going to take a while to beat, I know, but I really wish I was farther along in the campaign/story mode at this point.

Arcanum. Story isn't very interesting and the leveling system is kinda complicated so I'm ending up with weak builds that have trouble through the game. I'll probably play it again while getting some advice from people that have played the game about my build.

IWD2. I actually got a special edition (IWD1&2) just a year ago. I played IWD1 and then MotB came out (just when I started IWD2) and I lost the will to continue 'cause I don't really like dungeon crawlers. I'll probably continue some time now since there is a handful of months for any game I'm looking forward to.

I can't think of any other game, but there probably are a few more.

I think therefore I am?

Could be!

Or is it really someone else

Who only thinks he's me?

BG 1: Couldnt beat that %&*@$#! Sarvoc at the endgame battle.

hehe, in my uber cheat game that i just finished, minsc got a critical on him almost immediately and he dropped after only a few swings. i had the rest of my team focusing on the mage dude without even recording a scratch and suddenly "sarevok has died!" (or something similar) appeared on the screen. so then i installed BG2 to continue the saga. :lol: actually, that's one of the things i did hate about the BGs, btw: the random number generator is borked and to-hit rolls are very streaky. the difficulty of many fights is not dependent so much upon character ability, rather, it just depends upon which "streak" you get into. a 3-4-4-6-2-7 streak and it's all over... 16-17-15-18-20-20 and sarevok drops in 6 rounds. oh well.

my list:

NWN1: started it probably half a dozen times, just can't get past the boredom. i think i made it to the last fight once but i had jettisoned my henchman (the uthgart barbarian dude) and, as a mage, i couldn't even scratch the end-boss. i did finish both shadows of underwear and hordes of tiny underwear, however.

ToEE: hehe, kewl combat ain't enough to redeem this steaming pile.

arcanum: see ToEE, but without the kewl combat. maybe i just "don't get" troika's "vision?"

KOTOR1 and 2: i can't stand the mechanics for some reason. started 1 and stopped within a couple hours, never to try again.

FO1 and 2: sorry to all the fanbois, but these games simply bored me.

planescape: yeah, bored again.

PoRII: ouch. sucktitude.

Ultima 8: super mario ultima.

Ultima 9: as if things couldn't get any worse.

there are probably some others that rank so low on my list that i don't even remember having them in my stock-pile. this of course, makes it difficult to report on whether or not i finished them. there are also some C64 games i never finished, but mostly because my C64 bought the farm when my dad launched it across the basement. U7 for one, which i actually really liked (can't get into the PC version anymore) and even one of the early might and magic games (got stuck somewhere, laid off for a while, and then the flying C64 thing happened...).

taks

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

oh, crap, so boring i forgot to add:

the morrowind doesn't blow, it sucks. oh wait, it blows, too.

bored into oblivion as well. oh my was the leveling system retarded. sorry to the fanbois, but i can't get into a game that requires 3rd party mods to be interesting. i paid for the freaking game to be somewhat worthwhile standalone.

gothic 1: combat was awesome. not.

gothic 2: better combat, still couldn't bring myself to finish.

taks

mechwarrior 3 gave Gromnir's computer fits. slow down and crashes. gave up. no doubt it were a problem on Gromnir's end with config or some such, but we just didn't feel like working so hard to plays. on the bright side, mechwarrior 4 ran slick as goose poop on Gromnir's rig.

as for taks comments re gothic and gothic 2, Gromnir is embarrassed to admit that we finished gothic. it were slow death playing, but we fell into the grind and simply gritted it out until we finished. gothic 2...

some folks convinced Gromnir that problems o' gothic were fixed in gothic 2, so we bought. am no longer taking game advice from those folks.

btw, am understanding the issues with kotor and kotor 2. Gromnir has observed on more than one occasion that kotor gameplay is pretty shallow and repetitive. kotor were seemingly developed to makes combats look and sound like star wars combats... but depth o' gameplay were secondary to capturing the "feel" o' star wars. personally, we ended up liking the games, but not 'cause o' compelling gameplay.

HA! Good Fun!

ps am wishing that Gromnir hadn't finished kotor 2. as with most obsidian/bis developed games, kotor2 were almost ruined by a terrible conclusion. leave out final planet/map/whatever might be a better approach for obsidian as they got a habit o' flubbing such stuff.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Final Fantasy XII

Dragon Quest VIII

Oblivion

Neverwinter Nights

Neverwinter Nights 2

Knights of the Old Republic 2

Mass Effect

The Witcher

Lost Odyssey

Grand Theft Auto IV

It's mostly thanks to MMO's, like World of Warcraft, that I haven't finished these games.

Edited by Setzer

as for taks comments re gothic and gothic 2, Gromnir is embarrassed to admit that we finished gothic. it were slow death playing, but we fell into the grind and simply gritted it out until we finished. gothic 2...

some folks convinced Gromnir that problems o' gothic were fixed in gothic 2, so we bought. am no longer taking game advice from those folks.

hehe, i laughed out loud at this one. not sure where i heard the same about G2, so i have to be careful where i get my advice these days. i have come to the conclusion, btw, that any game requiring mad skillz on the player's part is not worth owning. for the same reason i do not play FPS games.

taks

BG 1: Couldnt beat that %&*@$#! Sarvoc at the endgame battle.

Wands of Monster Summoning make this battle a piece of cake. :p

hehe, in my uber cheat game that i just finished, minsc got a critical on him almost immediately and he dropped after only a few swings. i had the rest of my team focusing on the mage dude without even recording a scratch and suddenly "sarevok has died!" (or something similar) appeared on the screen.

Oh yeah, well you can both go to hell. :p

I tried everything I could think of on that SOB. I got really close a few times showering the three of them with Arrow's of Detonation but never dropped him.

Hmm.. Since I worked as a games reviewer, I have a ton of games I've never completed. I actually have a few I've never even tried at all (Mostly EQ2 expansions and stuff because they forgot to include an account..). But I'll list the ones that people here are most familiar with:

Baldur's Gate: Clunky, slow and the story didn't grip me at all.

Baldur's Gate 2: Everyone talks so much about this game, but I couldn't even get out of the starting dungeon before it bored me to tears.

Neverwinter Nights 2: Clunky camera, jerky engine and the combat didn't need me to be in the same room. Where's the fun in that?

The Witcher: I loved the sexual encounters (shut up), but the story totally lost me in the first town after the village.

Diablo 2: It was fun for a while, but oh so repetitive. I never felt like I needed to finish it and just gave up.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Hmmm. lot of BIS/Osidian titles here, can't say I'm that surprised

me

BG2 expansion -Throne of Bhaal (I get tired of super high level D&D, too many spells and uber items with abilities, you spend half the time trying to organize the inventory and all the different options for attack, better off playing a straight fighter, also funny when the random villager has +4 items....)

IWD2 -By the time I got to the underdark I could not remeber the plot anymore, did not know why I was playing -actually liked the forest maze though

NWN2 -Can't remember if I finished or not, stopped somewhere near the end, also getting uber-level fatigue and I hate forced NPCs in party. campaign was just too long, I did not care about the story at all after a while

NWN2 MOTB -don't understand the hype, pretty dull + uber levels

I finished KOTOR2 -but like Gromnir wish that I had not

Call of Cthulu -don't like shooters

X3 reunion -too intimidted by the complexity

Mass Effect -Just bought it but did not even install, was having way too much fun playing the Discovery Freelancer Mod online, after reading up I don't know if it is my cup of tea

One last unfinished "game" I spent many hours building mods on NWN yet never finished one of them, the best one had like 20hrs gameplay when I abandoned it, right now am trying to finish a NWN2 mod (How did Obsidian manage to make mod building at least 5x harder than in NWN1?) that I started in Febuary 2007 and abandoned in May 2007, it is ~85% done.

Hmm.. Since I worked as a games reviewer, I have a ton of games I've never completed.
So you review games you have not finished yet? Are you able to give a fair, balanced reviews without going through the whole game? Just interested, not trying to start anything. Edited by Kelverin

We're led to believe that a majority of people who buy any game won't finish it, so perhaps it is valid for reviewers to do the same (provided they declare in the review that they haven't finished it, of course).

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

i'm doing my damnedest to stay away from magazines in general. i've cut back to only the journals i get from the IEEE, and even they send me too much. i can't imagine what would happen if i signed up for any gaming mags (and i don't care to buy them in the stores). 99% of my reviews come from either in here, or from ve3d.

very naive, STB, since reviews often come out within a day or so of the reviewer getting the title. in other words, not enough time to progress all the way through the game (well, most of them at least).

taks

So you review games you have not finished yet? Are you able to give a fair, balanced reviews without going through the whole game? Just interested, not trying to start anything.

You don't need to finish a game before forming an opinion. Personally I used to play long enough for it to be unlikely that the game would surprise me anymore. A good game is easy to review because that usually shines through very fast (noone in the closed beta needed especially many hours to realize that World of Warcraft would be a gigantic success). A bad game is trickier because there are often redeeming factors if you play long enough. Crappy games are usually crappy all the way through though.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!