KOTOR 1 OR 2

Think Kotor 2, despite there some signs of to yearly release, the story is very well cordinated despite a few condecending mistakes, 2 also have more options to impact story and change alot of things for better or worse.

Kotor 1 is very single linied in its storylinie its good but very narrow in your options to impact world you can make some changes on civilations or planets but not far as much as you can in Kotor 2, also Kotor 2 uses influence system which allows you to turn other characters to your alignment, kotor 1 alignment was solid and at one turning point only allow certain characters for end sceneria.

So to make it short if you like single linie story and less options its Kotor 1, is you like more options and impact on story direction its say its kotor 2.

But my favorite is kotor 2 despite influence with characters never reached its full potential but its still quite nice feature :D

A sequel rarely out-shines the original.

Games like System Shock II and Max Payne II are exceptions.

If Obsidian ever unlocks all the unused content then KotOR II could also be one of those exceptions.

Even though KotOR I was a masterpiece. :lol:

IF you think you have the time to play through both games (which is probably 60-100 hours of gametime) then I would definitely get KOTOR 1 and play through it first.

If not, I really loved KOTOR 2 more. KOTOR 1 was better polished (fewer bugs, more 'complete', has a much better ending), and was more difficult. BUT KOTOR 2 had a MUCH better story, notwithstanding the poor ending. I finished KOTOR 1 and never picked it up again; now I'm halfway through my second KOTOR 2 playthrough.

Do not hesitate, just buy KotOR I. :(

Which part is better? Hard to say, but... in some moments KotOR I had a better atmosphere, for example on Tatooine. KotOR II has a better ending (opened, anything can happen in part III)... Both are woth buying.

...BUT KOTOR 2 had a MUCH better story, notwithstanding the poor ending.

In what way do you think KotOR II's story was so much better?

[some KotOR I spoilers follow]

Did you complete the Genoharadan sub quests?

Did you receive, open and escape from the Mysterious Box?

Did you save the Yavin station inventor from thugs and get access to his reserve items?

Did you manage to get romantically involved with Bastila or Carth and Juhani (yes, Juhani)?

Did you redeem Yuthura Ban from Korriban and meet up with her afterwards at the Dantooine academy? (Perhaps the most touching moment I've ever experienced in gaming.)

Did you meet Juhani's ex-boyfriend and partially sort out a reconcilliation?

Did you resolve each personal side quest for Carth (son), Mission (Griff), Bastila (mother), Canderous (Jagi), Juhani (slaver) and Jolee (Sundry)?

Did you tell the Manaan court about the video evidence while still managing to free Sundry AND have trade sanctions imposed against the Sith?

Did you blow up the Hrakert harvester, get banned from Manaan, but then sell all your med packs for a HUGE profit because the price of kolto has skyrocketted? (very DS!!)

My point is that KotOR I was packed full of story elements that could have easily been missed by anyone playing it only once. And if you did encounter most of these then there must be a lot in KotOR II that I've missed for it to have a "MUCH better story."

I love both games, and love Kotor 2 more. It's a more subtle story, but I like that. I do miss the companion side-quests, but all in all found 2 to be more engrossing and more enjoyable.

Everyone talks about the "huge" plot twist in 1, but it wasn't that huge, to me. Even if it had been, it wouldn't make a story all on it's own.

I miss the companion side quests because of what they added to the companions' characters, but the characters were defined quite well in 2 without those quests.

(And yes, I did everything in the blocked out section. LOL)

I love both games, for different reasons. K1 for its dynamic story, its humor, and for the character of Revan, who has become immortal to me. For Carth, and Canderous, and Jolee Bindo.

K2 because of its masterful subtlety of character and plot, without getting bogged down. For its real-life-like hero, and for providing exciting speculation about what I'd like to see happen in K3...

Both are shining examples of gaming at its best.

I also have to say that both are good games and it's hard for me to really compare the two.

Both have their own strengths and weaknesses.

If you've already played K2 wihtout playing K1 first, then you may be dissapointed with the limited ability to upgrade your weapons and fewer feats and force powers.

The overall story is less ambiguous in K1. It's easier to figure out where the characters stand, less deception.

I have rather mixed feelings about the influence system in K2. It's cool that you can affect your companions LS/DS status, but at the same time, it can be quite frustrating trying to figure out what gets you influence and what loses influence. Especially with Kreia.

And who can forget the romance with Bastila. Far better than any of the interactions with the female characters in K2! I loved the way her nose wrinkled up like a kinrath pup when she was mad at me! LOL.

The ending of K1 is definately more satisfying than K2, regardless of whether you're LS/DS.

Both games have excellent replay value, IMO, cause you can only take two characters with you at a time. in K1, different character combos could trigger a little cutscene of banter between your companions. So far I've not seen this in K2 as much. A few cutscenes on the ship, which I think are probably tied to your influence level, but I'm not sure.

There's tons of stuff in K1 that I find supperior and many things in K1 that I find inferrior whe trying to compare it to K2. Either way, both games have been a lot of fun to play IMO.

KOTOR was a real time machine for me. I'd start playing and suddenly it would be monday morning and time to go to work. I'm also a real powergamer and RPGs scratch some weird psychological itch I have. KOTORII does that just as well or maybe (dare I say it aloud?) better than the original. I love the design changes such as influence, components, chemicals, stances, prestige classes, etc. I also think that Obsidian doesn't get nearly enough credit for some of their great planets (Nar Shaddaa!!!) that may not match up to the unknown world in KOTOR for sexiness, but are gobs of fun to play through.

Ummm... Spoilers, BTW...

Anyway, the two games are different and no two people will agree on what makes one better than the other. All I can say is, buy them both and play them both in as many ways as you can, then learn how to use a hex editor and play them both some more. For your entertainment dollar, both games (even at fifty bucks apiece) are well worth it. Obsidian did a great job on KOTORII considering the tight budget and timeline and the absolutely unreachable expectations of the rabid KOTOR fanbase. KOTOR was amazing and KOTORII is a worthy sequel, which is very hard to do.

Hope this helps... I'm drunk...

If you eventually plan to get both, but only have money for one right now, go for KOTOR 1. The simple reason is it obviously comes first chronologically, and thus will make the series flow better.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

[some KotOR I spoilers follow]

Did you complete the Genoharadan sub quests?

Did you receive, open and escape from the Mysterious Box?

Did you save the Yavin station inventor from thugs and get access to his reserve items?

Did you manage to get romantically involved with Bastila or Carth and Juhani (yes, Juhani)?

Did you redeem Yuthura Ban from Korriban and meet up with her afterwards at the Dantooine academy?  (Perhaps the most touching moment I've ever experienced in gaming.)

Did you meet Juhani's ex-boyfriend and partially sort out a reconcilliation?

Did you resolve each personal side quest for Carth (son), Mission (Griff), Bastila (mother), Canderous (Jagi), Juhani (slaver) and Jolee (Sundry)?

Did you tell the Manaan court about the video evidence while still managing to free Sundry AND have trade sanctions imposed against the Sith?

Did you blow up the Hrakert harvester, get banned from Manaan, but then sell all your med packs for a HUGE profit because the price of kolto has skyrocketted?  (very DS!!)

I think I can answer yes to all of the above and still like the story, mood and journey in the second one better.

When I think of K1, I often mentally compare it to an episode of Teletubbies. That isn't meant as a negative thing, just observing, that sometimes there is beauty in simplicity and K1 had that. Cardboard heroes and villains with appropriately villaineous motives and laughter. Besides, it managed to make me play through it more than 6 complete times, so it definitely has some kind of addiction effect.

Still, the "look and feel" (not to mention the much improved interface on the PC version) of the second one appeals more to me for some reason, that I can't point my finger at.

To the original poster, you are missing out on a great game if you miss the first one, once you've done that, come back for the second :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein