Music: Sharing and Listening - Where words fail, music speaks

ShadySands

@Agiel is a blessing to know what you like. shouldn't be complicated. is.

rip

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On 11/30/2023 at 12:02 AM, Agiel said:

Evidently I only have one gear: 

I had a bit more variety

Screenshot_20231201-183758_Spotify.thumb.jpg.54ef46b5fbf31dc056ffbd4a86a21449.jpgScreenshot_20231201-183416_Spotify.thumb.jpg.fabf4b5fde79a5ed3f78adc77b9282fd.jpg

The best part was that I got a recommendation from Spotify for where I should move to find people with similar tastes as me. I need to move to Jyväskylä in Finland. 😄

That said, I didn't need to know that I had listened to Sabaton Attack of the Dead Men 171 times, or that I'm in the top 0.5% of Beast in Black listeners 🥹

Edited by Azdeus
  • Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Son was singing the chorus for a solid 90 minutes while playing this morning. Then we listened to it but once later on in the day and that was followed by Blinding Lights and Take On Me. 

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Got no spotify account, so no helpful algorithm telling me what I like 😢

I suspect I do like 80's music though...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I have Tidal and it only gives simple statistics without judging my genre variety or suggesting I should  move somewhere. The only thing I was able to glean from it was that I disproportionally love soundtracks, so here's a piece from Altered Carbon (wished this lady played Takeshi Kovacs throughout all of season 2 instead of that dour humorless dude who did)

• Like 1

I think I mainly listen to game soundtracks these days.   I've never used any music streaming service, I guess Youtube counts though.  I still have my mp3 player for that

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I have Spotify but I'm a weirdo in that I only want to hear the one song I want to hear. If I want a playlist then I'll put on a playlist for that and if I want a random mix of similar then that's what I'll put on. 

To complain further, I used to like my Amazon Alexa because when I'd ask it to play Booty Butt Cheeks pt 2 the classical remix on Spotify then it would just play that song and stop unless I told it to repeat. Now it's just as trash as my Google whatever non-helpful devices.

297.png?w=640

Free games updated 3/4/21

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

This apparently popular video popped up in my feed. I like bass singers, so why not. I was only half-paying attention, glancing at video but mostly just listening, and it went like this:

"Oh, there's four of them?  ... they sound pretty good ... nice costumes ... are they a family of brothers or cousins or something? ... "
Took me half the video to realize it was just one guy doing the video/sound mixing stuff. I lol'd at myself.  😄  Guy's got great range tho.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

growing up in the dakotas and doing ranch hand/cowboy work for much o' our youth and even some college, meant we heard lots o' country music... and bob seger. wish we were kidding about bob seger. got sick o' bob seger 'cause o' cowboy fascination with his work. the wild mustang roundup work we did for blm was hard, but needing hear bob seger +10 hours a day was excruciating. 

anyways, while am most assured not thinking o' our self as a country fan, our indoctrination resulted in us developing appreciation for a few artists such as linda ronstadt, lyle lovett and emmylou harris. ms. harris' hot band included such luminaries as ricky skaggs, dolly parton and albert lee, who looked like he should be part o' queen or the who more than a country band... does the guitar solo from the following chuck berry cover.

edit: additional albert lee ownage

Spoiler

one from lyle lovett at the white house

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Maybe I should learn to play one of these as a new hobby. Not that I actually will. But I should. The sound is lovely.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Some of the more oddball-sounding stringed instruments from around the world are not used nearly enough in popular music.

Edited by Bartimaeus

7 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Some of the more oddball-sounding stringed instruments from around the world are not used nearly enough in popular music.

highly recommend the following:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC122061BDC373B4B

not all in the playlist is win, but is fantastic production at work and the pop song covers which typical leave us flaccid is intriguing to us precise 'cause o' masterful contributions o' artists whose instruments and voices go largely unheard by Gromnir in his everyday music selections.... and 'cause is so many cameo contributions from giants o' music.

HA! Good Fun! 

• Like 1

Just some old Poms

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

6 hours ago, Gorth said:

Just some old Poms

This is one of my most loved Pink Floyd songs, but because I now despise Roger Waters I am not able to like Pink Floyd's music the way I used to. 😬

2 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

What did he do this time

Pro-Russia statements regarding the war, I assume - https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-64580688

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I sort of want a twin, now.  ;)

• Like 2

Since the singer of Rednex, Anders Sandberg, died yesterday

Edited by Azdeus
  • Sad 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

• Like 1

• Like 3