The All Things Political Topic - Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex

Gromnir

I always hate views like this, because it assumes that the person in power is not an idiot, but we know how easy it is for an idiot to get into a position of power.

/Edit: Or not just an idiot. It could simply be a terrible person who will only look out for their own gain. There's more than enough examples for that.

Edited by Lexx
  • Thanks 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

8 minutes ago, Lexx said:

I always hate views like this, because it assumes that the person in power is not an idiot, but we know how easy it is for an idiot to get into a position of power.

/Edit: Or not just an idiot. It could simply be a terrible person who will only look out for their own gain. There's more than enough examples for that.

I agree, I can name plenty of failed or failing states that are not Democracies so by his argument that must mean autocrats or non-Democratic states are retarded 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I’ll rephrase his position a bit… in a democratic system you get the government you deserve

• Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

well, it took a bit o' time, but the "retarded" people o' the US did eventual deport osho's con man arse, so score one for the developmental challenged, eh?  

furthermore, pretty much nobody says retarded anymore and even if they did the actual issue is ignorance as 'posed to some kinda endemic learning disability.

however, the guys who invented modern representative democracy were quite aware o' the importance o' an educated electorate.

"if a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." -- thomas jefferson, from one o' his innumerable letters to... somebody. 

is ez to find similar insights from madison, franklin and others.

'course for jefferson and other founders, their recognition of education as an essential prerequisite for protecting liberty were another reason why they were okie dokie with only having landed and educated white men enjoy the franchise.

2023 is a also bit different than 1787. the internet allows many millions o' undereducated americans to convince selves they is aware of and informed 'bout relevant issues 'cause they did online research regarding covid, climate change and january 6.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2023/09/07/republican-voters-january-6-trump-enten-ac360-vpx.cnn

thanks to the internet, never has so many dangerously ignorant people been so unshakably certain in their stoopid held beliefs.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Y'all know that I posted that Osho clip as a joke, right? It's almost certainly taken out of context, I have no clue what the whole speech was about and given...

How slowly...

Osho...

Talked...

I wasn't about to...

Watch the whole thing. 

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

5 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Y'all know that I posted that Osho clip as a joke, right? It's almost certainly taken out of context, I have no clue what the whole speech was about and given...

How slowly...

Osho...

Talked...

I wasn't about to...

Watch the whole thing. 

I saw the longer clip a while back. It was interesting. Regardless whether you agree with it or not, interesting 

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I have a feeling Biden isn't going to be the nominee for the Democrats Authoritarians. He already wasn't popular before the Lahaina wildfire and his administration's response to the deadliest wildfire in US history, or lack there of, hasn't done him any favors. He can't stop lying, even when there's no reason whatsoever to lie, nothing to gain. He lied on the anniversary of 9/11 for ****s sake. Why would he do that? Joe, we have the internet, we can fact check your bull$#!+, quite quickly too. And there's of course the age conundrum. If reelected he would be 86 at the end of his term. He's already at the point where he has trouble clearly expressing himself, needs a cheat sheet to answer softball questions lobbed to him by a sympathetic legacy media, and needs to be interrupted and taken off stage by his staff when he flubs his words and calls the entire southern hemisphere 3rd world countries. His cognitive functions ain't gonna get better in 5 years. I think the DNC is formulating some bull$#!+ about why he can't run as I type this and will quietly usher him out the back door. The traditional next in line (The DNC has rigged the primaries to the degree that they can run whoever they choose in the general election, voters be damned. See also: 2016, 2020) would be the VP and I'm sure Kamala believes she should be next in line, but I doubt the DNC is stupid enough to run a candidate as weak as her in the general election. I think it's going to wind up being Gavin Newsom, he seems to be the next Chosen One.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I don't see it. Biden is the democratic candidate until he decides not to run, or his time runs out. Neither Newsom or Harris are challenging that.

Barring an actual legal success, he'll be facing Trump, which means we get two old guys with questionable cognitive skills. What a time to be alive.

Suffice to say, 2028 should be a lot more interesting than 2024 in terms of potential presidential candidates.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Newsom would be smart to steer clear of this $#!+storm and concentrate on gearing up for 2028. The thought of having to choose between Biden and Trump again... Yeesh! It's like getting to choose between having someone kick you in the schlong as hard as they can or having them drop a cinder block on your bare foot. At that point I'd either have to write someone in or just not vote because I've never voted for The Donald and I have no intention of changing that and I wouldn't vote for Biden even at gun point.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

deserves a place right up there with...

so... megyn kelly and bret baier interviews will probable be admitted as evidence in trump's retention o' documents case... and is a whole lotta additional opportunities for undignified efforts at seppuku by trump 'tween now and the current may trial date. 

am baffled that anybody would wanna be trump's attorney... and am reminded o' a classic fauci moment.

Fauci on Trump coronavirus comments: ‘I can’t jump in front of the microphone and push him down’

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I think Biden is just losing his mind, which I think is probably worse than lying on purpose. He's been like that for a while and it's not getting better. I'm not defending him and I don't even like him. I'd prefer almost any other Democrat and even quite a few Republicans, just none that are currently running. I remember what I was like hell no, not Mittens Romney. Now I'm like what about that Romney guy.

It's like nuTrek being so bad that I'm like let's watch Enterprise.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

as o' today (things will change) am thinking pretty much any moderate democrat ticket could beat trump. democrats need independent voters, so progressives are problematic unless they are overwhelming popular. even so, democrats, most independents and quite a few educated conservatives (particularly suburban women,) will not vote for trump in 2024.

converse, biden has little chance o' beating most possible republican candidates... with the exception o' trump. 

is an insane game o' chicken, but trump and biden ain't strapped into their respective vehicles aimed at each other so much as they is pedal to the metal and bearing down on their own parties, daring 'em to chose somebody else.

to have any chance in 2024, republicans need the trump base to vote for the gop candidate. the gop understandable believes trump will burn down the republican party before he voluntarily supports any other candidate for President than himself.

democrats understandably believe they have the upper hand in a biden v. trump rematch, so the safe bet is to stick with biden in spite o' his numerous documented flaws? the safe bet seems mighty risky from our pov.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

I wonder how important the choice of a vice president candidate is for the voters? Odds are increasing every day, that neither main candidate will last a full term.

On 9/10/2023 at 3:30 AM, Gorth said:

I saw the longer clip a while back. It was interesting. Regardless whether you agree with it or not, interesting 

Osho is thought-provoking enough to merit some minor delving into. Also highly duplicitous and so on, but worth some attention. Like Ayn Rand, who is also quite poor, is worth some attention.

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

I wonder how important the choice of a vice president candidate is for the voters? Odds are increasing every day, that neither main candidate will last a full term.

am gonna guess trump believes he would still be President if his vice president were other than mike pence. the thing is, pence supported just about every trump excess, no matter how extreme, save for on january 6. pence were ok with pu$$y grab and muslim ban before trump were elected and pence stood by trump through the mueller report, a couple impeachments, a government shut down, maga cronies and their get rich quick schemes related to the wall boondoggle, sending armed federal troops to states where state governors express rejected federal "help," which amounted to kidnapping protesters and whisking them away in white paneled vans, not to mention the mishandling o' covid which 'ccording to multiple persons on trump's covid team resulted in hundreds of thousands of excess american deaths. also recall that pre january 6, pence were like some kinda bobble-head doll whenever trump mentioned the rigged election, reflexive and mechanical agreeing with conspiracy theories in spite o' zero meaningful supporting evidence. trump started with the rigged election nonsense six months before the election and continued from november when he lost until today.

KRHBK7LKZZAZPJ4TMPP6ZVY5ZU.gif

trump needs somebody more servile than pence? good luck.

am thinking 'cause o' how poor trump does with educated women conservatives, he will likely choose a vp who polls well with that demographic. nikki haley has said the wrong things about trump, so her potential as vp appears diminished. perhaps kristi noem? trump's vp choice doesn't need be a woman, but am honest not sure who is polling best with conservative soccer moms other than nikki. regardless, am not seeing a whole lotta great possibilities and almost none which genuine is gonna help trump with the demographics he needs.

reports are that kamala harris had a historic dysfunctional presidential campaign, and once she became veep, there were considerable turmoil w/i her office. worse, the stories about kamala's interpersonal and management problems were not coming from fox news. say what you will about the biden administration, but is noteworthy how the white house rumors and leaks diminished to a mere trickle after trump left the building. is kamala harris staff who were portraying the veep as a less huggable joan crawford.

am thinking democrats is gonna downplay as much as possible the fact that if biden is reelected, kamala harris could be the next President, and not 'cause o' a 2028 election win.

am suspecting the 2024 vp choices to be as uninspired as the candidates.

rfk jr? our dark horse choices is stella immanuel, douglas maccregor or harvey. all is win, but am pulling for stella immanuel.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gorth said:

Odds are increasing every day, that neither main candidate will last a full term.

Off topic, by the way, but this statement is always true.

And yes, I know what you meant and it was a perfectly good point, one that I agree with, but your formulation is still something that is always true.

😃

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I remember what I was like hell no, not Mittens Romney. Now I'm like what about that Romney guy.

the atlantic article on romney is an amusing read. is multiple instances wherein a spokesmen for mitch mcconnell observes the senator from ky does not recall conversations as does romney. mitt's observations about a few other senators is a hoot. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2023/11/mitt-romney-retiring-senate-trump-mcconnell/675306/

is no way we buy the book, but am s'posing we might give it a looksee once am able to get it from the public library. unlikely, but maybe.

HA! Good Fun!

5 hours ago, Gromnir said:

is no way we buy the book, but am s'posing we might give it a looksee once am able to get it from the public library. unlikely, but maybe.

Yeah, but then you'd be supporting the public library having licensed it. A reminder that stealing things is always an option, and sometimes the only option that's actually ethical.

11 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I think Biden is just losing his mind, which I think is probably worse than lying on purpose. He's been like that for a while and it's not getting better. I'm not defending him and I don't even like him. I'd prefer almost any other Democrat and even quite a few Republicans, just none that are currently running. I remember what I was like hell no, not Mittens Romney. Now I'm like what about that Romney guy.

It's like nuTrek being so bad that I'm like let's watch Enterprise.

Biden really is at his worst when he's publicly speaking. Once in a while he gets something that's hilarious and pretty poignant off the cuff, but he's many times more likely to do the opposite instead. It's not nearly as bad as Trump's constant word salad, of course, but...Biden is definitely not the most inspiring speaker or character, to say the least.

• Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

unnecessarily serious response:

ethical? am admitted stretching our imagination to the limits to excuse theft of a book.

moral? 'cause is a book, is similar difficult but at least more plausible. an alien invasion is occurring and you need something to wedge a door closed so the xenomorphs can't get reach you and a group of defenseless children hiding in the last bookstore in galveston, texas, so you grab for a copy o' romney's bloated and insufferable book o' apologies and critiques with no intention of paying for it but hopeful the use o' romney's words will hold off the acid-blooded insectoids better than they did his gop colleagues. theft is the moral choice in such a situation.

the obvious moral and ethical response to a ultra wealthy person further enriching themselves with book sales is not theft but rather protest and a refusal to personal purchase said book... although the grift, particular for a wealthy guy such as romney, is ordinary focused on ego as 'posed to monetary gain. no doubt bartimaeus is aware o' folks such as ted cruz and donald trump jr using skeevy methods to inflate their book sales so as to attain some desired position on the nytimes bestseller's list, yes? romney did something similar with his previous book, making the mass purchase o' his book a prerequisite for his attendance at speaking engagements. in romney's defense, am recollecting he waived such requirements at public universities and the like, but the compelled book purchases were nevertheless a naked effort at self-aggrandizement.  

personally we want books we do not like to be in libraries, 'cause am knowing people not named Gromnir tend to dislike books we would want to read and to grace the shelves o' libraries. if only books popular with the masses is on the shelves o' a public library, am thinking we all lose. regardless o' how much we dislike an author, the situations in which we would feel compelled to protest the presence o' a book in a public library is real but extreme limited, and short o' alien invasions or similar, am unlikely to come up with a compelling moral reason for theft o' a book.

thus ends our unnecessary and not wholly serious response... but yeah, theft o' books and other ip is bad.

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1

on second thought, @ShadySands should probably avoid the atlantic article we linked. the author o' the piece describes romney's bachelor existence in dc and it ain't pretty.

warning: the following is not for the faint of heart.

Spoiler

lisa murkowski, the senator from alaska, gifted romney with a considerable quantity o' salmon. unfortunate, romney is not a fan o' salmon. nevertheless, mitt frequent chokes down a salmon sandwich made palatable just so long as it is slathered in ketchup.

is no way to unsee or unhear such tragedy/travesty. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Gasp! 4