The All Things Political Topic - Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex

Gromnir

Edited by Chilloutman
  • Like 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

8 hours ago, Chilloutman said:

Im confused by this Tweet, what examples are they talking about when they say " Czech is involved in destructive foreign policy decision" ?

What decisions do they mean?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

5 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Im confused by this Tweet, what examples are they talking about when they say " Czech is involved in destructive foreign policy decision" ?

What decisions do they mean?

I guess you have to click on their report but from my interpretations its because we are one of the most proponent supporters of Ukraine

• Thanks 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

4 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

I guess you have to click on their report but from my interpretations its because we are one of the most proponent supporters of Ukraine

Yes, that whats I thought. But it makes no sense. The invasion would still have happened and still be ongoing irrespective if Czech supported Ukraine or not 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Biden's dog, Commander, has been biting Secret Service agents

not cool. not the dog's fault but am having little patience for those who is irresponsible pet owners.

'course we have never met a person who thinks o' themself as an irresponsible pet owner. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• Sad 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Agh, I meant to quote this post amd ended up reporting it. Sorry, my fingers are stupid when using my phone.

Anyways, the story sounds like some sort of dystopian fiction that is banned in libraries that used to exist.

• Haha 1

"Former library spaces at some schools will be converted into rooms where students who misbehave will be relocated to watch lessons virtually, work alone, or in groups with differentiated lessons. Books will remain on shelves and students will still be able to borrow books on a honor code system."

*chuckle*

how long before that approach is deemed a complete failure?

however, we couldn't help but reflexive set the wayback machine to 1985 when we saw libraries will be used for dealing with students who misbehave. pretty much describes the setting o' the breakfast club

dystopian miss by a year. is not orwellian 1984 but hughes' 1985?

aside: at the time we couldn't help but be impressed by the shermer high library aesthetic and size. were disappointed when we discovered it weren't a real high school library but rather a converted school gymnasium at a defunct high school.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

2 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

Agh, I meant to quote this post amd ended up reporting it. Sorry, my fingers are stupid when using my phone.

Anyways, the story sounds like some sort of dystopian fiction that is banned in libraries that used to exist.

The vast majority of typos I make are from posting on mobile. I leave them because I think they're funny.

It's pretty bleak and dystopian. We can debate whether this is part of the Texas Republicans trying to take over Houston by force, if it's part of (some) Texas Republicans wanting to burn down public education to float vouchers, or if it's just plain old greed and incompetence like the inability to maintain our infrastructure. But whatever the case this looks like it's going to be very bad for kids in HISD.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

51 minutes ago, Sarex said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-66320895

There goes uranium for France.

They can always invade, as per the rules based international order.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

They can always invade, as per the rules based international order.

No concern for the people of Niger and its future?  Military coups in Africa dont lead to anything remotely positive, they will be suspended from the AU, poverty and immigration will increase and its already a poor and impoverished country

John Milton 

God damn forum.

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

No concern for the people of Niger and its future?  Military coups in Africa dont lead to anything remotely positive, they will be suspended from the AU, poverty and immigration will increase and its already a poor and impoverished country

Yep, I mean if France or whoever decided to go on a training exercise that would be the reasoning given. Not sure it'll come to that, though, is a far off conflict

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

edit:

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.flsd.648652/gov.uscourts.flsd.648652.85.0_2.pdf

pp 27-31 is worth your time.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

3 hours ago, Gromnir said:

Not what I normally associate with "bush walking" 😁

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

https://www.africanews.com/2023/07/31/ecowas-leaders-give-niger-one-week-ultimatum-to-restore-president//

ECOWAS has given the generals in Niger 1 week to restore Democratic rule or risk military intervention'

This may work, it worked in The Gambia and they did nothing in Mali or Burkina Faso, except for suspension from the AU, and the military coups are still in place 

John Milton 

Stupid coup plotters, should have arranged for the French to pull another Aristide

"taco tuesday" still trademarked in new jersey... and trump was indicted... again. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/live-blog/trump-live-updates-grand-jury-2020-election-probe-arrives-courthouse-rcna96825

Trump has been charged by the Department of Justice with the following four counts:

A conspiracy to defraud the United States "by using dishonesty, fraud and deceit to obstruct the nation’s process of collecting, counting, and certifying the results of the presidential election," according to the special counsel's office.

A conspiracy to impede the Jan. 6 congressional proceeding at which the collected results of the presidential election are counted and certified.

A conspiracy against the right to vote and to have that vote counted.

Obstruction of, and attempt to obstruct and impede, the certification of the electoral vote.

curious, am not seeing any news as to co-conspirators. conspiracy by definition requires more than one conspirator. (edit: six unnamed co-conspirators-- four attorneys, one doj official and one political consultant.)

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

Interesting game of chicken in west Africa, with Mali and Burkina Faso pledging to support Niger if they were invaded. Guess it mostly depends on how much France values their cheap uranium. Doubt ECOWAS itself can do anything, more than a quarter of its members are suspended at this point and Nigeria, by far its largest member, can't even deal with Boko Haram properly. Can't see them having any stomach to go beyond political posturing.

At least life can't get much worse for the average Nigerien, they could only drop five places on the HDI. Guess that shows how much all that uranium benefits the average person.

7 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Interesting game of chicken in west Africa, with Mali and Burkina Faso pledging to support Niger if they were invaded. Guess it mostly depends on how much France values their cheap uranium. Doubt ECOWAS itself can do anything, more than a quarter of its members are suspended at this point and Nigeria, by far its largest member, can't even deal with Boko Haram properly. Can't see them having any stomach to go beyond political posturing.

At least life can't get much worse for the average Nigerien, they could only drop five places on the HDI. Guess that shows how much all that uranium benefits the average person.

So the coup has nothing to do with France or Uranium but its expected we will blame them. The AU will suspend Niger like Mali and Burkina Faso but the end result will be same as other coups, things will just get worse for the citizens as Western aid will be cut and disinvestment will start if the coup continues 

ECOWAS may act this time militarily because by  not acting they  are setting a precedent 

John Milton 

Ah yes, the wonderful western aid that, hmm, had Chad 2nd from bottom, Niger 3rd from bottom (2022, don't think the 6th is from this year since it's ongoing, so position is actually dropping), CAR 4th from bottom, Mali 6th from bottom, Burkina Faso 8th and Guinea 10th on the Human Development Index. Not sure the west has been showing all that much care, eh.

(Technically of course CAR and Chad aren't ECOWAS members but they were french colonies. Indeed, Chad is still french aligned, for all the benefits it's got them. About the only actual one of which was Toyotas for the Toyota War)