Youtube recommendations, let's beat the algorithm

Sarex

is not strict speaking youtube, but two o' our all-time favorite pbs series is available via youtube and other sources... if you look hard enough.

at least the first four episodes o' james buke connections is youtbe accessible

is ten total and we find six thru ten via various internet archives.

also, ethics in america (1989.)

https://www.learner.org/series/ethics-in-america/do-unto-others/

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 4 weeks later...

I recently discovered MISTER MANTICORE

This fella makes short... I guess, horror (?), supernatural videos. They're in this series called The Monument Mythos and it's alternate history America with extra-dimensional beings, possibly eldritch horrors, weird stuff. It's presented like documentary films. It's got a very SCP vibe. Totally my jam.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I absolutely love Tasting History, and I've been looking forward to see him make true garum after he did quick garum a long time ago.

• Like 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

At an hour, I did "background" it off and on, but overall and the concept, I thought it was pretty neat. Liked the scrolling animation - the music varied, some of it I liked, some I didn't. While it is limited and brief, I almost wish there had been no narration at all, just a visual/music thing. Must've taken a while to finish.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I have no idea where to post some stuff these days, too many mega-threads. 😛

Anyway, they were table-topping and a discussion came up (they show it briefly at beginning) and hence this parody song was made. Their skits are great, but I missed their songs (they said ages ago that they just didn't get the views), nice to see one again. Good stuff.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2023 at 7:56 AM, Azdeus said:

I absolutely love Tasting History, and I've been looking forward to see him make true garum after he did quick garum a long time ago.

Not garrum, but I do love adding a spoonful or two of fish sauce when I make curries 🤤

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

5 hours ago, Sarex said:

I remember reading that a while ago. It's sad that the series ended because there have been a lot of recent films that would be great to see someone analyze.

Anyways....I've been cooking more so now my YouTube algorithm recs are movie/series clips, music, vidya game clips, and recipes with the occasional technical video. Not a bad slice tbh.

• Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

9 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

I remember reading that a while ago. It's sad that the series ended because there have been a lot of recent films that would be great to see someone analyze.

I watched this one when I discover the post. It's not on the level of EFaP, but it was still interesting.

The reddit thread itself is also good

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

• 1 month later...

Finally, my perfect nature documentarian/narrator. :shifty:
"True facts is not appropriate for children, nor for adults who don't act like children."

Oops. I'm in the dancing rooms of YT again.
Irish dance routines to modern music, loved it. Also, double-checked - they're actual older/younger brother, not greenscreened. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still waiting for them to send me one of those "you can't watch any more videos until you disable your adblock" notices that people apparently started getting a few months back. They're sure taking their sweet time. Anyways, no, no stuttering. Also, public service announcement: if you're using any adblock that isn't uBlock Origin, you're doing it wrong.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

9 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I'm still waiting for them to send me one of those "you can't watch any more videos until you disable your adblock" notices that people apparently started getting a few months back. They're sure taking their sweet time. Anyways, no, no stuttering. Also, public service announcement: if you're using any adblock that isn't uBlock Origin, you're doing it wrong.

I used Origin and had gotten that message. Although I had a bunch of custom rules and filters.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

In my case, I can't log in if adblockers are enabled. And if I disable them, I need to close the browser and open again. First time this happened I thought they had excluded my account.

The ads are terrible. Most are of no interest to me (70% of the time it's the mobile game Hero Wars) and there is even a case of a product I already bought and don't need to buy again. Worse, when some adds finish, the video won't resume, which is particularly bad to me since I just leave them playing while I do something else and listen to them.

sign.jpg

If YT gives you any trouble with your ad blocker, you can just install Ad SpeedUp. It works without a hitch and has (probably?) the advantage that the creators still get a cut of the ad revenue. Not sure, but I guess the companies running the ads through YouTube might be a tad unhappy about it. :p

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

It lets me skip the ads after 5 seconds, so I don't really care. They have to make money somehow.

Of course I also don't watch anything longer than 5-10 minutes on YT, so I probably don't use it like some of you.

Yeah, well, I get 30 seconds of unskippable ads on YouTube because they want me to subscribe.

It is understandable. I mean, look at Alphabet only raking in 17 billion net profit per quarter. They're basically bankrupt, so trying to force people to pay for an ad free YouTube is fair. :yes:

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

On 1/20/2024 at 1:52 AM, Hurlshort said:

It lets me skip the ads after 5 seconds, so I don't really care. They have to make money somehow.

Of course I also don't watch anything longer than 5-10 minutes on YT, so I probably don't use it like some of you.

I'd mind it less if all the ads I get weren't for gambling sites and similar ilk.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

While Drachinifels is my goto internet historian for all things naval warfare (iirc, his native language is Portuguese, so I guess he's either Portuguese or Brazilian), my second goto channel would be Ryan Szimanski (sp?) and Battleship New Jersey

https://www.youtube.com/@BattleshipNewJersey

For all things civilian shipping, designs, history, disasters, famous people etc. my goto channel would be Oceanliner Designs

https://www.youtube.com/@OceanlinerDesigns

It sort of sprang to mind, I've been subscribed there for a while and a recent video told a story I remember hearing many years ago about "Miss Unsinkable", a nurse that survived all three sisterships, Titanic, Olympic and Britannic

edit: Not sure I would board a ship if I saw her boarding it 😂

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein