The All Things Political Topic - Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation

Gromnir

https://www.businesslive.co.za/bloomberg/news/2022-11-07-elon-musk-rehires-twitter-workers-after-some-were-laid-off-by-mistake/

Musk is rehiring dozens of staff that were fired on Friday because of their skills and significance to the business. It was a stupid thing to do to just fire staff without understanding their contribution

Not a very prudent start, lets hope he does better as time goes on 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The latest Honest Government Ads... this one is really only of domestic, Australian interest as it's a broadside fired at the West Australia government

Edit: More domestic Australian stuff... now that we got the right wing government under Morrison (where everything, including parts of Australia were sale) ousted and have a new leftie government, it's time to boost the size of the Australian military and maybe rattle a few sables at geopolitical threats 😝

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

The latest Honest Government Ads... this one is really only of domestic, Australian interest as it's a broadside fired at the West Australia government

Edit: More domestic Australian stuff... now that we got the right wing government under Morrison (where everything, including parts of Australia were sale) ousted and have a new leftie government, it's time to boost the size of the Australian military and maybe rattle a few sables at geopolitical threats 😝

Juice media video hilarious and convincing as usual 💞

But I have mixed views on the second one and I was vacillating between is it a supportive message of the Oz recruitment drive or is making a mockery of this prudent initiative? I did laugh at the " can I push this button" 

Its only a good thing for a country like Australia to increase the size of its military, you face real potential risks as mentioned like Chinese hegemony and the Russian militancy  in Ukraine. Of course Im not suggesting Oz should go to war with China but along with other Western allies you need an effective local army because we dont know what the future holds

Anyway was the second video suppose to  be supportive or  critical,  I think it was supportive?

But Gorthfuscious I was very impressed when they mentioned even people with skills in their 40's and 50's can join the military. Once you have your citizenship you should  join, with your our software knowledge you would be a huge asset IMO. I wonder if the Oz army uses your Microsoft ERP system?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Anyway was the second video suppose to  be supportive or  critical,  I think it was supportive?

I think it was supposed to be neither. Just a bit informative. A current affair is the kind of tv show that just tells about lesser known stuff happening in society if I understood it correctly (since I very rarely watch TV)

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Poor early results for Democrats so far, with the House almost definitely going to the Republicans already, and bad early numbers in key Ohio, Georgia, and North Carolina senatorial races.

(e): A reminder for those who were tricked by the overwhelmingly pro-Republican early results and thought Donald Trump won on election night last election: where the votes are coming from matters a lot more than any raw vote count. Having a Democrat up 100,000-5,000 is all well and good...until you realize that there are hundreds of thousands of outstanding ballots left in the biggest red areas of the state and that it's likely going to flip over the next few hours.

(e): Maybe not quite so bad as it initially looked. It's looking like Republicans will win the House with a slight lean, while the Senate is still too close to call.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Very exciting and close Senate races in Pennsylvania and  Georgia. Kemp wins governor race in Georgia which is a good thing because he is not a Trump sycophant 

House will definitely go to the GOP but Senate too early to call 8)

John Milton 

Wow, things have been tumultuous and unexpected . Fetterman has won in Pennsylvania and Trump endorsed candidates have not done well which is a good thing like Lake in Arizona. Election denialism has ostensibly cost candidates 

Kemp has won in Georgia which is good news, senate race too early to call   

Watching numbers  change in real time is great :thumbsup:

John Milton 

If R wins and there will be a nation wide abortion ban and stuff in the future, I'm going to laugh very hard at all the americans for not taking this serious. :)

/Edit: lol, Greg Abbott has won in Texas. Hilarious.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

36 minutes ago, Lexx said:

If R wins and there will be a nation wide abortion ban and stuff in the future, I'm going to laugh very hard at all the americans for not taking this serious. :)

In order to pass bills through Congress, one must have the following:
1. A simple majority (50% + 1) of votes in the House of Representatives vote aye on the bill.
2a. A filibuster-proof majority (60/100) in the Senate vote aye on the bill, or...
2b. The controlling party eliminate the filibuster or at least agree to carve out an exception so that the vote is exempt from the filibuster, and have a simple majority (51 or 50 + Vice President) vote aye.
3a. A president that signs the bill into law, or...
3b. A president that vetoes the bill that is then overridden with 2/3rds of both the Senate and the House voting aye on the bill.

In other words, with a split Congress or even with a Congress where both chambers are controlled by the opposition, you can therefore expect Congress to do what it's best at in terms of legislation: nothing. Now, I know that American elections are overblown on the world stage, and that's nobody's fault but our own, but let's not get crazy here, okay?

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I'm not saying it will happen next week. But so far it looks like not much has changed from the last election. Americans like to say "the majority isn't with this!!1" but then you see the voting results and it is almost 50:50 .. again. IMO it's just a matter of time till the scale tips back to R. Hell, I'd say there is even a chance of Trump winning again next time. 😄 And if it's not Trump, then someone else in his shoes. To me this just feels hopeless, since the votes clearly say that americans want this. What's the worst in this is that america has such a big influence on the rest of the world.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

2 hours ago, Lexx said:

I'm not saying it will happen next week. But so far it looks like not much has changed from the last election. Americans like to say "the majority isn't with this!!1" but then you see the voting results and it is almost 50:50 .. again. IMO it's just a matter of time till the scale tips back to R. Hell, I'd say there is even a chance of Trump winning again next time. 😄 And if it's not Trump, then someone else in his shoes. To me this just feels hopeless, since the votes clearly say that americans want this. What's the worst in this is that america has such a big influence on the rest of the world.

The U.S. has a lot of cyclical features to its elections that have been studied and talked about ad nauseum. One of them is that the president's party always loses the midterms, and right now, these results are being looked at as a bit of a defeat of Republicans because of how weak they are for them. No, it's not the resounding triumph over the fascist/conspiracy/hate-spreading elements that most of us would like, but it's certainly not all bad either. More generally, the U.S. is fully in the throes of social, politic, cultural, and economic divides that are currently cleaving our nation in two...or maybe more like three or four. There's not going to be an instant fix for all of it, and in fact, I'd say it's a lot more likely to get worse before it gets better because none of the actual problems can or will be fixed by a collection of mostly ineffectual, time-biding, focusing-on-the-wrong-things politicians, which is just going to drive further and further extreme division as everything continues to get worse. But...time does have a way of working these things out. For example, global warming may well cause Florida to collapse straight down into the seabed within the next generation or two, and what an uplifting effect that would have on the U.S. and the world in general, :yes:.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

The U.S. has a lot of cyclical features to its elections that have been studied and talked about ad nauseum. One of them is that the president's party always loses the midterms, and right now, these results are being looked at as a bit of a defeat of Republicans because of how weak they are for them. No, it's not the resounding triumph over the fascist/conspiracy/hate-spreading elements that most of us would like, but it's certainly not all bad either. More generally, the U.S. is fully in the throes of social, politic, cultural, and economic divides that are currently cleaving our nation in two...or maybe more like three or four. There's not going to be an instant fix for all of it, and in fact, I'd say it's a lot more likely to get worse before it gets better because none of the actual problems can or will be fixed by a collection of mostly ineffectual, time-biding, focusing-on-the-wrong-things politicians, which is just going to drive further and further extreme division as everything continues to get worse. But...time does have a way of working these things out. For example, global warming may well cause Florida to collapse straight down into the seabed within the next generation or two, and what an uplifting effect that would have on the U.S. and the world in general, :yes:.

Well at least you not a  fascist or hate-spreader, you just want to wipe out an entire state. Nice Barti :thumbsup:

John Milton 

a shocking % of americans don't understand how the US fed system works, so is hardly a surprise when euros and kanadians get confused.

'course for four years, many o' us who know how the fed system is designed to work would lament that trump and/or barr couldn't do _________. they did anyway. past Presidents, with the exception o' a few infamous examples, voluntarily adhered to customs o' behavior and avoided illegal and unConstitutional actions. the previous administration showed us obvious flaws in the system, and those flaws remain as the gop has been largely resistant to closing loopholes. 

that being said, Congress is designed to need overcome procedural gridlock to achieve meaningful results. the founders were afeared o' tyrants only a smidge more than they were o' athenian democracy. 

nevertheless, predictions o' paradigm shifts 'cause o' republicans retaking the House is curious given that for the last two years democrats had a majority in the House and an effective majority in Senate as well as a President o' the same party. considering all the legislation democrats has not been able to successful make law these past two years, predictions o' a republican authored fed abortion ban is... curious. democrats has for decades been unable to advance national abortion protections in spite o' frequent majorities in Congress as well as a friendly chief executive. a belief this midterm election somehow heralds a major political upheaval is bordering on the obtuse. 

however, assuming gop retakes the house, there will be an unending flood o' investigations into all kinda stoopid which will make for at least a couple years o' gruesome tv and radio as various media outlets cover such "news" with their unique spin. fox will portray far different than msnbc. can't imagine how americans is becoming increasing polarized, eh?  

HA! Good Fun!

ps am almost certain republicans take nothing o' value from their failure to achieve a red wave. in spite o' historic inflation and traditional mid-term realignment, gop is looking to make minimal and underwhelming gains. in a normal cycle, the gop would reflect o' success and failures o' the midterms to reassess their platform which admitted is non existent save as a list o' grievances. instead am anticipating a reflexive double-down. 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

39 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

however, assuming gop retakes the house, there will be an unending flood o' investigations into all kinda stoopid which will make for at least a couple years o' gruesome tv and radio as various media outlets cover such "news" with their unique spin. fox will portray far different than msnbc. can't imagine how americans is becoming increasing polarized, eh?  

Polarized and desensitized at the same time. The new normal is being constantly pushed past its limits...

39 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

a shocking % of americans don't understand how the US fed system works, so is hardly a surprise when euros and kanadians get confused.

'course for four years, many o' us who know how the fed system is designed to work would lament that trump and/or barr couldn't do _________. they did anyway. past Presidents, with the exception o' a few infamous examples, voluntarily adhered to customs o' behavior and avoided illegal and unConstitutional actions. the previous administration showed us obvious flaws in the system, and those flaws remain as the gop has been largely resistant to closing loopholes. 

that being said, Congress is designed to need overcome procedural gridlock to achieve meaningful results. the founders were afeared o' tyrants only a smidge more than they were o' athenian democracy. 

nevertheless, predictions o' paradigm shifts 'cause o' republicans retaking the House is curious given that for the last two years democrats had a majority in the House and an effective majority in Senate as well as a President o' the same party. considering all the legislation democrats has not been able to successful make law these past two years, predictions o' a republican authored fed abortion ban is... curious. democrats has for decades been unable to advance national abortion protections in spite o' frequent majorities in Congress as well as a friendly chief executive. a belief this midterm election somehow heralds a major political upheaval is bordering on the obtuse. 

Yeah, I don't know the first thing about Canadian or German elections, their parties, their lawmaking processes, or really much anything else...but that kind of takes care of itself, because I also wouldn't try to comment on them in any substantive way. But if Lexx meant long-term, that makes a lot more sense and it's a lot more difficult for me to say "no, that for sure won't happen".

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

But if Lexx meant long-term, that makes a lot more sense and it's a lot more difficult for me to say "no, that for sure won't happen".

if it were genuine an indefinite long-term prediction, then immediate republican wins is irrelevant so...

the reframing effort were kinda a cheap dodge regardless as you can always pushback the timeline for change w/o ever needing be wrong, yes? didn't mean this year, or even this decade, but eventual? prove it can't happen eventual?

*snort*

HA! Good Fun!

• Gasp! 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah, I don't know the first thing about Canadian or German elections, their parties, their lawmaking processes, or really much anything else

Typical American...

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

For example, global warming may well cause Florida to collapse straight down into the seabed within the next generation or two, and what an uplifting effect that would have on the U.S. and the world in general

Problem is though, it'll be so gradual that Florida Man will just spread.  A single, decisive and devastating strike is needed.

Edited by Malcador
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

29 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I'm pleasantly surprised with the results so far

Im not but its the will of the people and I accept the outcomes. I guess things like R vs W were more important than we thought?

But the GOP should still take the House, the Senate is the really interesting one and if there is a runoff in Georgia that will only be decided in December?

I am interested when these midterms are over to see the analysis of why people voted for various parties, what were there main reasons 

John Milton 

7 hours ago, Lexx said:

lol, Greg Abbott has won in Texas. Hilarious.

Disappointing but not surprising. I'm sure Beto will give it another go after losing the senate race in 2024.

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

For example, global warming may well cause Florida to collapse straight down into the seabed within the next generation or two, and what an uplifting effect that would have on the U.S. and the world in general, :yes:.

Peter Theil will do gene editing to make Florida residents amphibious, like the various aquatic humanoids in fiction but (more) fascist. We will never be free of Florida.

6 hours ago, Lexx said:

Let's be real, not much has changed. Despite a disappointing night for Republicans they still hold a lot of political power in state governments, federal legislature, and the judiciary (nb4 someone says it isn't aktuaucallly political). Moreover, the majority of people don't need to be with it, because the US political system is bonkers and Republicans don't care about the majority opinion anyways.

So yeah, nice to see Republicans fall on their face this time, but it isn't a resounding defeat of Republicans generally and Trump specifically. If anything they will double down and reach new lows in time for the next election, which Trump has a relatively good chance of winning even if he can't get the popular vote.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

20 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

I am interested when these midterms are over to see the analysis of why people voted for various parties, what were there main reasons 

It's a conundrum.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

31 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

It's a conundrum.

Not really, it will be one of several reasons that was the most important. For example election deniers haven't done well which is a good thing. So some people would have voted for anyone against  an election denier. But for other people it would be R vs W as the main reason  

John Milton 

Despite the conservative narrative, things have been going fairly well for the state of California, so I was happy to vote for most of the same leadership that led the state through the pandemic and has helped us have a budget surplus. I typically try and balance it out a bit with some decent Republican, 3rd party, and Independent candidates, but those didn't exist on the ballot this year. I mean, there is literally no Republican leadership in this state right now. The red party seems to be dominated by election deniers and anti-vaxxers, so that made it pretty easy to choose candidates. 

I was more active about the local elections this year. The school board in my area got a bit crazy with an extremist candidate almost running unopposed, but it looks like he is going to be dealt a resounding loss.

Gavin Newsom is an interesting Governor. I like is Anti-Desantis tact of late. He was strong during the pandemic and strong on reproductive rights. I want more resources for mental health care and homelessness, so those are the big failings. But as I said, there wasn't any competition, so it was an easy choice.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

Despite the conservative narrative, things have been going fairly well for the state of California, so I was happy to vote for most of the same leadership that led the state through the pandemic and has helped us have a budget surplus. I typically try and balance it out a bit with some decent Republican, 3rd party, and Independent candidates, but those didn't exist on the ballot this year. I mean, there is literally no Republican leadership in this state right now. The red party seems to be dominated by election deniers and anti-vaxxers, so that made it pretty easy to choose candidates. 

I was more active about the local elections this year. The school board in my area got a bit crazy with an extremist candidate almost running unopposed, but it looks like he is going to be dealt a resounding loss.

Gavin Newsom is an interesting Governor. I like is Anti-Desantis tact of late. He was strong during the pandemic and strong on reproductive rights. I want more resources for mental health care and homelessness, so those are the big failings. But as I said, there wasn't any competition, so it was an easy choice.

I've never been to California, so I can't comment on what California is really like. But I can tell you that the conservative narrative on California has always been comically insane and shouldn't be taken seriously. That said, we've had a bunch of right-wing Californians roll in and gouge housing prices, so can yall take them back? I don't make enough to make LA rent.

• Hmmm 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

4 hours ago, Gromnir said:

if it were genuine an indefinite long-term prediction, then immediate republican wins is irrelevant so...

Immediate R win would be irrelevant if they wouldn't instantly start working towards f-ing up everything even more.