The All Things Political Topic - Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation

Gromnir

24 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

Is Desantis really different than Trump?

Slightly more competent. More dangerous in a different way because of it. 

• Thanks 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Different but not necessarily better, he willing embraced Trumpism and hyped the various GOP fears to get ahead. He's not as spineless as Reek, I mean Ted Cruz, but maybe he just hasn't had the chance to show his ass yet.. or it hasn't been as publicized.

Free games updated 3/4/21

2 hours ago, Make a contract with KP said:

Nothing can stick on Trump, his wealth and sycophants will protect him from any legal consequences he may find thrown at him. Trump is more at risk from his fast food heavy diet than he is from prosecution.

Trump is a manchild with no spine, who buckles at the smallest bit of pressure. Even if the risk is low he gets scared ****less over it, anyway. 

Heja Sverige!!

57 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

Is Desantis really different than Trump?

In the ways that matter? Not really. DeSantis has been in the tank for every bad Trumpismo that most of us here seem to dislike. He's diet Trump.

2 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

Trump is a manchild with no spine, who buckles at the smallest bit of pressure. Even if the risk is low he gets scared ****less over it, anyway. 

Trump had classified documents on him for two years, in violation of a law that he signed, and still had judges cut him leeway. He doesn't have to have a spine if he knows the court system isn't going to do anything to him. If he wasn't a rich **** with a cult of the stupidest people on earth following him then his ass would have been thrown in prison years ago.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

On 11/14/2022 at 1:27 PM, Gromnir said:

the final tragedy o' the nixon ouster is rare taught in schools, but am suspecting mitch mcconnell and others were much aware o' how the story ended for Congressional republicans who did the right thing. 

I should note that I had posted this video with the intention of the clip of emphasis being the second portion from the <<The West Wing>> episode appropriately titled <<The Midterms>>. The quote by Bradley Whitford was always the one that stuck with me from the show, even if the past half decade or so may or may not be a testament to this (and the rest of the show) being an over-idealised picture of American democracy.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

In other news, protests in Iran are still going on. People are still being killed, and it doesn't look like this is ending anytime soon. Kinda weird how little is in the media about it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

4 hours ago, Lexx said:

In other news, protests in Iran are still going on. People are still being killed, and it doesn't look like this is ending anytime soon. Kinda weird how little is in the media about it.

Hard to get reporters in there, I guess. It's not on the news here all that much, cursory mention.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just now, Gfted1 said:

Does Iran block their ISP's in times like these?

They've been doing that.  Starlink terminals were smuggled in, supposedly, haven't heard much (granted have not looked closely)

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 hours ago, Lexx said:

I am guessing this varies from one country to the next. There's plenty of it in the media over here, for instance. Probably not as much as it should, but still plenty.

It's an awful situation, without any doubt. And it feels even more awful when you consider the unbelievable culturo-historical richness of the country.

Nancy Pelosi officially announced that she's stepping down from being Democrats' leader of the House. She was the first woman House Minority Whip, House Minority Leader, and Speaker of the House, and held the Minority/Speaker position for Democrats for the last 20 years.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

17 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

She was the first woman House Minority Whip, House Minority Leader, and Speaker of the House

yeah, but keep in mind that all happened in 1890.

scoff if you will, but isn't the pizzagate and seth rich folks dedicated to the notion powerful democrats, with the help o' george soros, is draining the blood o' children to achieve immortality and become the kwisatz haderach... or something like that? have never quite been able to figure out all that q and seth rich silliness, but those beliefs is a decent litmus test for stoopid and/or those easily manipulated. 

regardless, if you is a part o' the not insignificant % o' critical thinking challenged persons who has been voting republican o' late, then chances are you believe nancy pelosi is an american elizabeth báthory, so don't pretend as if our 1890 quip is beyond the pale.

however, am gonna concede 2022 nancy does look a bit like ida lowry.

is nothing wrong with being or looking old, though women do suffer from an unfortunate cultural double-standard. am not a woman, so...

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

33 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

american elizabeth báthory

Do we know what Ms. Bathory's beliefs regarding democracy and free elections were? I have to weigh my options between her and Republicans here...

• Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

57 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Do we know what Ms. Bathory's beliefs regarding democracy and free elections were? I have to weigh my options between her and Republicans here...

She was convicted of murder once she stopped being happy with killing peasants and moved on to lesser gentry (or, alternatively, she was the victim of a conspiracy by people who wanted her wealth and/or were not happy with a woman being this influencial in the 16th century). Being one of the wealthiest artistocrats of her time, with extensive holdings and the kingdom deeply in her debt, we can speculate what her opinion on letting peasants decide anything would have been, but it is reasonably to assume it would have been a hearty laugh, and whoever came up with the idea would have been named court jester. :p 

She also inherited most of her wealth. Take all that the way you want, but:

Spoiler

she'd probably would have been a registered Republican. :p Clearly a top player and key figure in the economy and in need of a tax break.

Edited by majestic
  • Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

2 minutes ago, majestic said:

we can speculate what her opinion on letting peasants decide anything would have been, but it is reasonably to assume it would have been a hearty laugh, and whoever came up with the idea would have been named court jester. :p 

Well, I can't complain, court jester's not that bad of a job...as long as you keep all of your blood, that is. Get a year of valuable experience, move on to better pastures - I hear Henry VIII will need a new one by then... Hm, maybe I won't suggest this particular idea to Ms. Bathory after all...

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, majestic said:

She was convicted of murder once she stopped being happy with killing peasants and moved on to lesser gentry (or, alternatively, she was the victim of a conspiracy by people who wanted her wealth and/or were not happy with a woman being this influencial in the 16th century). Being one of the wealthiest artistocrats of her time, with extensive holdings and the kingdom deeply in her debt, we can speculate what her opinion on letting peasants decide anything would have been, but it is reasonably to assume it would have been a hearty laugh, and whoever came up with the idea would have been named court jester. :p 

She also inherited most of her wealth. Take all that the way you want, but:

Reveal hidden contents

she'd probably would have been a registered Republican. :p Clearly a top player and key figure in the economy and in need of a tax break.

Sounds like a Libertarian to me.

• Hmmm 1

nowadays is ez to see them (democrats, libertarians, republican, progressives, etc.) as not just people with whom you disagree, but as monsters. the kinda dehumanization you expect but likely condemn during wars is happening based on political divisions, which is not normal in US politics. 

if republicans are evil, then it is a mistake to resolve differences with them as 'posed to eliminating the threat they represent. 'course the problem we personal see is that all too many people is willing to fight to get at them. speech and religion, which were kinda reflexive deemed off-limits by americans until recent, is not protected by libs nor conservatives same way as when we were younger. we need safe places from bad speech? converse, 'cause wokeism is so bad we need do something legislative 'bout those companies which make movies or champion causes which might turn our children into gays or some other nonsense. and yeah, too many "republicans" appear to be willing to literal and figurative burn down american institutions if their guys don't get elected, so is not a both sides situation and is why am effective a one issue voter for the nonce.

*sigh*

also 'cause it should need not be said but still is, vandalizing an empty court house in portland as a form o' protest, while excessive and deserving legal prosecution o' offenders, is so not same as attempting to prevent the peaceful transfer of power 'tween a republican Presidential administration and one which is led by a democrat, attacking the Capitol while Congressmen is still present and huddling for safety in locked rooms and hiding under desks. the fact we still feel the need to repeat what should be axiomatic is kinda horrific.

the thing is, if you are genuine convinced nancy pelosi or climate change deniers is indeed evil, then what actions is unwarranted to remove the threat they pose? sit around and take no action is the real injustice if you is convinced they is evil, right? 

brave new world.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I don't think I'd say that Republicans are evil. It's a lot more complicated than that and there are a lot of different forces at work here, some of them genuinely kind of evil but more just mostly borne out of a combination of different values, ignorance, intolerance, lack of empathy, tribalism, various kinds of frustrations and feelings of being transgressed against over a long period of time, and so on...and all of which apply to at least some degree to the other side as well. Being too strongly polarized for too long understandably tends to create feelings of animosity when it keeps resulting in each side pushing and transgressing more and more against the other. In real life, for my part, I almost universally pretend that I don't know the first thing about politics so that I mostly avoid hearing anything about it from anyone else, because frequently desiring to decapitate all the loud-mouthed morons in your life that just can't help but incessantly assert their stupidity, intolerance, and ignorance because it's apparently an incredibly critical part of their personality and identity to do so is just not a very good place to be if you can instead avoid it. Wanting to decapitate internet morons, on the other hand, now that's where you want to be. Bring out the virtual guillotine, folks!

No, but really, I don't know where we go from here, because for as long as each side feels like the other is infringing upon them in whatever area that is sacred to (both of) them, the level of anger exhibited is only going to continue to rise. Predictably, it results in some degree of hatred, violence, and death...but how much in totality, where do we end up as a nation and society on the other side of it, and how does the overton window shift? I don't see any of this magically fixing itself, but maybe if we can wait out the baby boomer generation running its natural course without all hell breaking loose before then, then perhaps the worst of it can be avoided...maybe. I guess we'll find out in due time, won't we?

• Like 1

well, that's not subtle at all, is it?

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

16 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

HA! Good Fun!

"A fablius human being"

• Haha 2

Heja Sverige!!

28 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

HA! Good Fun!

I don't think anyone's ever called me subtle before, that's not really my thing. What's your specific issue with what I said?

5 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I don't think anyone's ever called me subtle before, that's not really my thing. What's your specific issue with what I said?

?

warnock's advert is not subtle. is saying a vote for walker is a vote for trump and is obvious warnock believes invoking trump harms walker's chances. 

*shrug*

your name didn't come up once in our uncharacteristically brief post.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1