Random video game news... may the dice be with you!

Gorth

5 hours ago, Malcador said:

https://www.pcgamer.com/return-to-monkey-island-arrives-on-international-talk-like-a-pirate-day/

Horse armor joke. Guess we'll see a fresh joke like AYBABTU as well.

I'm completely on board with giving players a completely useless item as a pre-order bonus.

In other news, here's some gameplay from the upcoming AEW game:

Graphics are definitely not on par with the latest WWE game, but I doubt anyone expected them to be.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

WW1 western front strategy game: you turtle for 3 months while your opponent zerg rushes you, then you swap roles and try zerg rushing him while he turtles- wash and  repeat for everything except the first two and last four months of the war. I have a great idea for DLC too, Italian campaign selling each battle of the Isonzo (and run out of money/ motivation before getting to the 12th/ Caporetto where something actually happened).

Really, pretty much anywhere else would be better than the western front. Let's start with Paul Von Lettow-Vorbeck in Tanzania...

• Haha 1

The naval battles of wwi were way more interesting than the land battles imnsho

What was the Serbian contribution to wwi? A single bullet to the head of an Austrian? Got to hand it to him though, he got a lot of consequences out of that assassination (I don’t remember the details anymore, a long time since I read up on the events in Sarajevo, could’ve been more than one bullet)

• Hmmm 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

11 minutes ago, Gorth said:

What was the Serbian contribution to wwi? A single bullet to the head of an Austrian? Got to hand it to him though, he got a lot of consequences out of that assassination (I don’t remember the details anymore, a long time since I read up on the events in Sarajevo, could’ve been more than one bullet)

First 2 allied victories in the war, against a vastly superior opponent.

• Thanks 2
  • Hmmm 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

30 minutes ago, Gorth said:

The naval battles of wwi were way more interesting than the land battles imnsho

No way Gorthfuscious. Battles like Verdun, the Somme offensives and Ypres will make for much more exciting battles than the WW1 naval ones 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

20 minutes ago, Sarex said:

First 2 allied victories in the war, against a vastly superior opponent.

Yes Serbia played a significant  role in the beginning of WW1 but not  in main trench warfare battles which the game will be based on 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

No way Gorthfuscious. Battles like Verdun, the Somme offensives and Ypres will make for much more exciting battles than the WW1 naval ones 

I hope that was a joke?

Send wave after wave after wave of young men through no-mans land, mowing those down who didn't get taken out by barbed wire and artillery fire, with machine guns in entrenched positions. The only thing Ypres, Somme and Verdun accomplished, tactically and strategically was... nothing. Sure, it killed and maimed hundreds of thousands, but that just made it a war of attrition. Which side would first run out of a generation to sacrifice in battles like that.

So, take my 500.000 man, tell them to take objective. Enemy player takes his 500.000 man and digs in on objective. After both sides have lost 250.000 man each and six months have passed, lets call it a draw. WWI in a nutshell. No, I don't really find the land battles particularly interesting, because nothing was shown when it comes to things like strategic brilliance or tactical nous. Even the introduction of radical new forms of warfare, like airplanes, chemical warfare and tanks had little to no effect, because the generals were trying to outdo each other in cluelessness on how to break the stalemate. it's as bad as the old "battle line" doctrine for naval warfare, where captains and admirals were prohibited on the pain of being court marshalled from showing any initiative and breaking with conventions and existing doctrines. The latter lasted until Nelson decided to break all the rules and got away with it, because a) he won and b) he died before he made any slip ups. The same can not be said for land warfare until Guderian decided that WWI sucked and all out tank warfare with airplane support was a better idea than killing off another generation in the trenches. I know, he didn't invent it, but he made "Blitzkrieg" famous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

34 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I hope that was a joke?

Send wave after wave after wave of young men through no-mans land, mowing those down who didn't get taken out by barbed wire and artillery fire, with machine guns in entrenched positions. The only thing Ypres, Somme and Verdun accomplished, tactically and strategically was... nothing. Sure, it killed and maimed hundreds of thousands, but that just made it a war of attrition. Which side would first run out of a generation to sacrifice in battles like that.

So, take my 500.000 man, tell them to take objective. Enemy player takes his 500.000 man and digs in on objective. After both sides have lost 250.000 man each and six months have passed, lets call it a draw. WWI in a nutshell. No, I don't really find the land battles particularly interesting, because nothing was shown when it comes to things like strategic brilliance or tactical nous. Even the introduction of radical new forms of warfare, like airplanes, chemical warfare and tanks had little to no effect, because the generals were trying to outdo each other in cluelessness on how to break the stalemate. it's as bad as the old "battle line" doctrine for naval warfare, where captains and admirals were prohibited on the pain of being court marshalled from showing any initiative and breaking with conventions and existing doctrines. The latter lasted until Nelson decided to break all the rules and got away with it, because a) he won and b) he died before he made any slip ups. The same can not be said for land warfare until Guderian decided that WWI sucked and all out tank warfare with airplane support was a better idea than killing off another generation in the trenches. I know, he didn't invent it, but he made "Blitzkrieg" famous.

No it wasnt a joke, I mentioned before WW1 is one of events in history I have studied and collect books on. One of my  SA great grandfathers  died during the Somme offensive and 2 of my UK great grandfathers died, one in battle and one from disease

The famous battles like Verdun and The Somme took place over months and there were several clashes  that each one consisted of where sometimes different sides had success and then were overrun later. And sometimes  individual battles took 1-3 days like Delville Wood, part of the Somme offensive,  where thousands of South Africans died 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Verdun

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Somme

So the various campaigns on the Western Front of WW1  were not just about people charging across no-mans land and getting annihilated by machine guns. That was just the result in some battles in the beginning of some campaigns 

Land battles in WW1 will be much more strategic and interesting than naval battles IMO ...much more interesting 

WW1 is still for me the most significant and momentous war of all time 

• Like 1

John Milton 

Honestly didn't know much of what Serbia did in the war, sort of funny that's a total blank spot for me.

Game sounds potentially interesting, play both theater and field commander.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

22 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Honestly didn't know much of what Serbia did in the war, sort of funny that's a total blank spot for me.

It's a tragic story really. We won the battles of Cer and Kolubara, but then the rest of our neighbors decided to help by gifting us a knife in the back (which was nothing new), so the army went on the great retreat through Albania. A lot of people died from Typhus and the cold, also the Albanian tribes that were picking off any stragglers. Our great western allies waited for us in ships on the shore of Albania (under the threat of Russian empire that if they don't show up to transfer us to Greece they would retreat from the war). From there we were transferred to the island of Corfu where a lot more people died. After they recovered they went back to help the allies.

Percentage wise Serbia had the largest losses in WW1.

• Gasp! 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

2 minutes ago, Sarex said:

It's a tragic story really. We won the battles of Cer and Kolubara, but then the rest of our neighbors decided to help by gifting us a knife in the back (which was nothing new),

Its terrible how you Serbs are always getting betrayed, just like Kosovo and Bosnia :p

John Milton 

As many commentators noted this may join the ranks of several impressive vertical slices made by Chinese developers that wind up in limbo. If it manages to come out I hope to see some character customisation so I can play as Golden Swallow and Xiao Long Nü.

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

2 hours ago, Agiel said:

As many commentators noted this may join the ranks of several impressive vertical slices made by Chinese developers that wind up in limbo. If it manages to come out I hope to see some character customisation so I can play as Golden Swallow and Xiao Long Nü.

56 minutes ago, HoonDing said:

Can you play a fat martial artist like Steven Seagal in Attrition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD5UjovA87s

If there is character customization I'm playing as Bak Mei aka Pai Mei aka White Brows.

tumblr_payepnNjbN1u3vseto1_1280.jpg

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

8 hours ago, HoonDing said:

Can you play a fat martial artist like Steven Seagal in Attrition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD5UjovA87s

Samo Hung > Zteven Zgal.

• Like 3

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Hmm, they have the money and Android Wilson wanted to sell. Although, I doubt, that this will up the quality in their production in any way… 

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

11 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Supposedly Amazon is trying to buy EA. Just a rumor, I think.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/26/amazon-not-expected-to-bid-for-electronic-arts.html

Nothing concrete refuting it.  Probably all from some guy in r/wallstreetbets, I'm guessing. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Supposedly Amazon is trying to buy EA. Just a rumor, I think.

Hopefully true, its good to have large, global and  established corporations resourcing  gaming. Look at  Microsoft and there prudent acquisitions 

We will still have indie developers and smaller companies  but Amazon is a solid company and there cloud networking works well 

John Milton 

And still out before Star Citizen.

• Haha 6