warhammer 40k: rogue trader

Hmm, my crime lord who beat the local void pirates (basically by selling them out) got one conversation with Ryzza (the pirate npc on Footfall), which theoretically resulted in a 10% friends and family discount 

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

2 hours ago, melkathi said:

I am a bit miffed that I am locked out of Yriel's companion quests due to a bug.

The journal is glitched for her companion quest, but it kept going along for me through Act 4.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'm getting a bug where there's a tech priest I'm supposed to talk to but they are nowhere to be found when my game loads the bridge after the book sequence.

Also, every patch I have to uninstall and reinstall just to get it working.

e: I ended up installing Toybox and manually firing off the cutscene. Seems to have worked as my quest and journal are updated.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

4 hours ago, HoonDing said:

Does anything in the game work as intended

Most things up until mid act 4 tend to work as intended. It's just Act 4 onwards it gets messy.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

50 hours in and I'm still on chapter 2. Did the food planet and now I'm exploring and doing the small missions on planets. Argenta is by far and away the most dps out of any companions. Just needs a little buffing to get her started and then she is mowing down enemies. Snipers seem to be bad, at least on the lower levels. Melee is ok, good for tanking and going assassin gets the damage up there. Probably the same amount of dps or close enough to Argenta, but it needs movement where as the solider is good to go from the start. I need to reroll Pasqal as currently he is just my tech/logic skill mule.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Argenta on her advanced class just keeps firing non-stop.

Then you get a passive on her to get buffed when someone activates them outside her turn, and suddenly your navigator/officer and her can clear all fights.

Snipers are ok to take out far away targets and save you the time of running across the map. They can do some massive crits. The important point is that any to hit bonus above 95% goes to crit chance instead. So all those +to hit abilities are still worth it, even though you have already the max chance of hitting.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

3 hours ago, MrBrown said:

So, reading about these buffs you have to apply during combat, it sounds like Owlcat wanted to bring all that buffing from WotR to this one too. Or is this based on some GW rulesset?

The ruleset is their own butchering from the Fantasy Flight tabletop roleplaying games. D100 based, but the similarity ends after that and the attributes.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Only tangentially related, but once upon a time, I tried The Witcher and was talking to the friend who talked me into playing it...or, actually, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure they even straight up gifted it to me on Steam...and I was a bit confused as to why the combat seemed to be such a slow, kind of damage-spongey slog. They told me that I really needed to start crafting and using potions and weapon oils in order to make battles be less painful. I was like oh yeah, suppose that makes sense, the game really seems to want me to do that...but though I didn't consciously make the decision at that exact moment, I literally never played the game ever again, and nor did I try any of the sequels even though I heard the combat was very different in those games.

Seems a petty reason to flat-out stop playing and completely write off an award-winning games series, but I guess that's me for you. I just didn't feel like all the bother was worth it...and really, I wasn't having much of a good time even outside that anyways, so the fact that the game wanted me to do this silly song and dance with the crafting system and buffing up with stuff was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back. Anyways, I mention all that because the game forcing you to habitually buff in order to make combat not miserable is...I guess not my favorite, especially if you can't speed it up.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I didn't like the combat in the Witcher either and never finished any game in that series. Still haven't even bothered installing the 3rd game. I don't spend much, if any, time buffing, but I also don't play on harder difficultly levels if I'm not having fun with them. I have no problem turning down the difficulty or just cheating if I have more fun that way.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

On 12/22/2023 at 3:55 PM, ShadySands said:

My sword welding Pyromancer, after being weak for the first two and a half chapters, can now clear most encounters by himself with Cassia and Jae giving him extra turns. Argenta mostly carried the team until then.

That is more or less my Heinrix build. Uses an extra turn from Cassia to light himself on fire and then goes to town. Stacks Arch-Militant's Versatility up the wazoo too.

7 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Anyways, I mention all that because the game forcing you to habitually buff in order to make combat not miserable is...I guess not my favorite, especially if you can't speed it up.

Well, buffing is a little different in Rogue Trader insofar as that it is simply part of the combat mechanics. Some classes (erm, archetypes) are just there to buff others or give others extra turns. That does not take any longer than shooting or using an offensive power, so it is fine. Certainly night and day compared to the ludicrous pre-buffing orgies of their Pathfinder games, but no less necessary, enemies are just going to trounce you without good buff management.

The game also has the typical and very hilarious difficulty spikes Owlcat games are known for. You all but faceroll through the prologue and chapter one just to face a 400 HP Chaos Marine with a heavy bolter at the end of chapter one. Fairly hilarious if you're underprepared to enemies that on a lucky roll can reduce your frontliners to a pile of goo in one round. :p

Had to reload twice for the achievement of the fight. Pfff.

grafik.png

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

3 minutes ago, majestic said:

Had to reload twice for the achievement of the fight. Pfff.

I did wonder if there was an achievement for that. Were you able to do all rescue options afterwards?

4 minutes ago, majestic said:

underprepared to enemies that on a lucky roll can reduce your frontliners to a pile of goo in one round.

That happened to me on the first try too...

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

13 minutes ago, Sarex said:

I did wonder if there was an achievement for that. Were you able to do all rescue options afterwards?

No. I mean...

Spoiler

They mentioned something about having more shuttles for the rescue missions, but Heinrix was right. What are a few saved lives next to denying the Archenemy of Humanity a foothold? I destroyed the planet purified the world by fire. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Gasp! 1

I thought Aurora always destroys one shuttle, as that seems scripted to when he loses a third of his health. Even engaged in melee, he just walks out without triggering opportunity attacks and shoots the shuttle.

But if you get him before he destroys a second shuttle, you can pick two options.

Edited by melkathi

1 minute ago, melkathi said:

Aurora always destroys one shuttle, as that seems scripted to when he loses a third of his health. Even engaged in melee, he just walks out without triggering opportunity attacks and shoots the shuttle.

But if you get him before he destroys a second shuttle, you can pick two options.

Kill Aurora quickly enough and you can save all the shuttles except the one destroyed right at the beginning in the cutscene. It takes some doing, but it is possible.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1