What You've Done Today - Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life

Hurlshort

6 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Much the same thing over here, minus the wage standard, but I managed to luck out and find a catastrophically advertised apartment (the owners did want to post pictures on the internet), so I got it relatively cheap.

Yeah, I think it's similar in most cities in every country that housing has increased substantially than wages. I'm not sure of the specifics though, for instance I've read that Tokyo apartments are more affordable than their comparisons in NYC or London. At any rate, it's a rough deal to be working and renting these days.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I used to have a property in Jacksonville FL that I rented out for 4-5 years and it was awesome. The last tenants asked to buy it out and I made some nice coin. Of course, I hired a realtor to do everything (they got 10% of the rent) so I never had any problems whatsoever. Id never do it solo though.

Even within California you have towns/cities where they are sorta cursing the "Bay Area ppl" coming up and buying stuff in their town. >.>
Can't say I blame them really ... although at the same time I understand because most ppl really can't afford to stay in the Bay Area for long either. Or at least to buy there while working there. Hence 2 hr  commute and/or remote. A lot of companies - that aren't Fortune 500 or whatever types - have a hard time paying wages that attract people enough who *live in area* to boot.

It'd be a lot easier to just sell the Bay Area house to be honest but also tbh it's the house you don't want to sell until you're absolutely ready to, because in the long term it's worth so much more, and weathers economic ups and downs so much more (the 2009 crash barely touched it at the time) that it'd be foolish to sell it if we don't "have to" yet.

We also have the factor that we still aren't 100% sure if hubby's remote work is going to be something he wants to live with long term. There's a lot of factors re: that and it could be in a year or two he won't be able to stand it and want to move back - or maybe that would be the house/area we'd rather "die" in -  meaning we don't want to sell it, because once sold, there is no way in heck we'd be able to really "buy back" into the area again.  Pffft.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

16 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Don't get me started.

850ff03095c99048708074cb1b3a3615.gif

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

...guess we need Elon Musk to save us.

...course, still need the foundation, utility hookups, and ... the land. I would also wonder how durable (and/or expensive) they are in terms of repairs needed over decades and decades. And ofc, most of them are a little small.  Edit: ones priced more like 50k are more roomy but yeah...still small.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

8 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Google tells me that you young bucks can earn "up to $1,500.00/month" for sperm and "up to $700.00/month" for plasma. BOOM, $2,200.00 in your pockets every month! Problem solved, you can thank me in cash. Now go on git and buy you a starter home. :lol:

What about selling an organ, you can get up to $20k in some countries. Yes its illegal but you still do it to raise capital for a loan  :p

https://www.findlaw.com/healthcare/patient-rights/can-i-sell-an-organ.html

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

^ Only need one kidney, or so I've heard. :shifty:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BruceVC said:

What about selling an organ, you can get up to $20k in some countries. Yes its illegal but you still do it to raise capital for a loan  :p

https://www.findlaw.com/healthcare/patient-rights/can-i-sell-an-organ.html

^That plan is unsustainable as you will quickly run out of organs. My plan offers unlimited access to free money every month for years on end. Why leave all that money on the table? With the potential to earn $26,400/year, you could outright own the finest Muskpod in under 2 years!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

^That plan is unsustainable as you will quickly run out of organs. My plan offers unlimited access to free money every month for years on end. Why leave all that money on the table? With the potential to earn $26,400/year, you could outright own the finest Muskpod in under 2 years!

You can always harvest other people's.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"potential" is key word for payments for donating genetic material. 

first, most people is rejected as donors. am recalling is less than 5% acceptance, which makes it tougher to be a donor than is getting into cal tech. second, near half money possible for donations is paid once your offering is actual utilized. am suspecting if you is a 6'4" white guy with mensa credentials you could possible make $26k per year. maybe. third, you is asked to abstain from sex three days prior to a donation, which for a young man 'tween 18 and 35 who is amongst that 5% group, abstaining is kinda tougher than it sounds. if your counts decrease, your donation is rejected and you do not get paid, so the three day guideline is functional a requirement.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

17 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

...guess we need Elon Musk to save us.

He's had to recall like a quarter of all the cars Tesla ever made and mutilated some monkeys to test out a brain chip that doesn't work. There is no way in hell I'm going to sleep in anything made by a Musk company.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

He's had to recall like a quarter of all the cars Tesla ever made and mutilated some monkeys to test out a brain chip that doesn't work. There is no way in hell I'm going to sleep in anything made by a Musk company.

You are never going to get the opportunity to die on Mars with that kind of attitude.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

You are never going to get the opportunity to die on Mars with that kind of attitude.

I guess I'll miss the opportunity then, somehow I think I'll survive.

In other news, my ac is out.

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

I think two things prevented me from ever seriously consider buying my own home. When I was younger, I never expected to live to grow old and when I completely failed at that and got older, I just never could stay put in one place. Longest I ever lived in a place (since moving out of my parents place) was 5 years. Typically living 1-3 years in a place before moving state/country/continent/whatever 🤔

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Been stuck at a desk for 2 weeks now and my shoulder is worse than when I'm working as a yard-jockey. My immensly ergonomic workstation might be the reason why...

Edit; Really cba to connect my phone to the laptop here at work, so I'll upload the image back home instead

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

This morning my wife and I ran into a couple olympic athletes when we were getting out of the pool. They had a camera crew with them for GTN, the Global Triathlon Network, and they were getting ready to take over our swim lanes. We geeked out a bit. We got a selfie with the host of the show, Heather Fell, but I totally flailed socially with Sarah True. She asked me a question about swimming in a local reservoir and I awkwardly talked about the pollution levels. >_<

Still it was fun to see some celebrities sharing our local community pool. They were in town to work with Specialized.

• Like 1

Been doing some of the last tweaks to my Mando armour designs.  A few bits here and there, then I'll be submitting the designs to the Mando Mercs Q&A team for approval, then I can start to gird myself for the printing.  And the priming. And the sanding. And the priming. And the sanding...

nKryxO8.png

g1OqaJ1.png

H0hYHpw.png

ORFnW5w.png

Also been getting into the basics of leatherworking.  Getting to grips with some of the basic cutting, embossing, dying elements of it all.  Trying to keep it to the basic toolset before blowing even more budget...

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'm going on a cruise on Monday to Alaska.

If I never post again, check the news for reports about drunken man falling off a boat.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

2 hours ago, Tale said:

If I never post again, check the news for reports about drunken man falling off a boat.

Nice, post some significant photos. I would like to see the scenery

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Tale said:

Don’t jinx it, don’t order anything “on the rocks” 😝

Ice belongs in the arctics, it’s the natural habitat for it, not in colourful drinks 🍹 

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1017419841_muchcomfrotable.jpg.d80c74aa359b1c7e23aa22cd48454122.jpg

As promised. Taken at eyeheight with the chait in a comfortable height setting, slightly angled downwards. The top of the screen is at about shoulder height for me and the keyboard is about an inch from the edge of the workbench, so if I sit in such a way as to hold my shoulder back I can't see the screen...

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

16 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

1017419841_muchcomfrotable.jpg.d80c74aa359b1c7e23aa22cd48454122.jpg

As promised. Taken at eyeheight with the chait in a comfortable height setting, slightly angled downwards. The top of the screen is at about shoulder height for me and the keyboard is about an inch from the edge of the workbench, so if I sit in such a way as to hold my shoulder back I can't see the screen...

So at my previous job, the company bought kid desks...no joke... We bought wooden boards and made monitor risers, it also frees up space below the monitor (depending on the wood you may need a third leg in the middle but you can flip it to go along the back of the desk so it doesn't take space). It's a very cheap solution. A free solution is to put books or boxes underneath your monitors (I recommend Java for beginners, it provides the optimal height).

Edit: fear my paint skill, for it is fearsome.

desk.png

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

It's not a bad idéa, but my coworkers would be severely disappointed since they are quite literally the size of said children, and it fits them >_<

25 minutes ago, Sarex said:

(I recommend Java for beginners, it provides the optimal height).

C++ also works, that's what I used to use privately XD

• Haha 1