Ukraine Conflict - Es ist nichts schrecklicher als eine tätige Unwissenheit

Darkpriest

9 minutes ago, Malcador said:

So some men will take advantage of the situation and try to get lucky but lets not suggest this is the majority of people helping the Ukrainian refugees

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Feels weird seeing the whole world hating on Germany again. Personally I believe collapsing our economy / industry will help Russia more than Ukraine, but maybe I'm just biased.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

10 hours ago, Mamoulian War said:
Speaking about the breakthrough operation, it looks like it was successful. Not sure how many other units have tried to join them, but few hundreds of them are allegedly now with Azov.
"In Mariupol, a unit of the 36th Independent Marine Brigade - Rear Admiral Belinsky, managed to get out of the enemy's siege and unite with the Azov Regiment. Several hundred Marines managed to get out, including the wounded." UA Insider

Looks like there were two different attempted break outs from the Ilych industrial plant, which may be why that tweet is worded a bit oddly (joining Azov isn't getting out of the siege, it's going to a another pocket* in the siege; breaking out to the north would be escaping the siege if they got far enough).

DPR filmed a breakout to the north via drone, which pretty conclusively failed and resulted in prisoners (~50 filmed; probably a few hundred involved in the breakout overall, some may have made it back to the start). There was also a breakout to the south towards Azovstal, which at least partially succeeded since at least one Marine commander got through and was photographed with an Azov guy who is definitely there. Very unlikely anyone significantly wounded got through though. One of the guys in the DPR video says there were at least 4 battalions there, which is a sizable force even if depleted.

*guess it's also tacit admission that the Russian maps with the pocket split in three (as was) were accurate. From that and other information it seems very likely that it's down to just Azovstal now, with a few unsupported holdouts around the port and Ilych.

Oh yeah, there have been some claims that Ukraine has hit Russia's Black Sea flagship with a cruise missile. Only video evidence so far is... not very credible though.

40 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Feels weird seeing the whole world hating on Germany again. Personally I believe collapsing our economy / industry will help Russia more than Ukraine, but maybe I'm just biased.

Remarkable how simplistic people view it really.  Although it's mostly people from NA going on that no price to great to pay for Ukraine, heh.

Ukraine apparently struck the Moskva with some cruise missiles, not sure if she's lost though.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

12 minutes ago, Lexx said:

There are other nations in the EU which get almost all of their gas from Russia too, just not in the overall volume that Germany does, so I guess... they're probably happily not the center of attention. :p

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

The New York Times reports that 50,000 to 70,000 tech workers have now departed Russia with an additional 70,000 to 100,000 to follow. That's a pretty significant brain drain for the Russian economy.

• Like 4

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

5 hours ago, Lexx said:

I don't think you should go overboard with this. I.e. it's not "the whole world", and it's not "hating".

But the fact is that Germany bought itself a noose from Russia because it was cheap, and now it's hanging from it. There is absolutely no one else to blame. Germany's naivety and gullibility is beyond description. It deserves flack. But it's not "the whole world hating" Germany.

I do agree there's plenty of thinking along the lines of, "Germany being the shame of Western Europe, now when have we seen that before?"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rjshae said:

The New York Times reports that 50,000 to 70,000 tech workers have now departed Russia with an additional 70,000 to 100,000 to follow. That's a pretty significant brain drain for the Russian economy.

This is a significant step in the North-Koreanization of Russia, which is terrible. Another equally significant step are the new educational measures being taken inside Russia. So it's looking extremely bleak right now.

But hey, there's at least one person in Russia who couldn't care less!

The part about not allowing war crimes and genocide was pretty funny with all the idealism there.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, xzar_monty said:

I don't think you should go overboard with this. I.e. it's not "the whole world", and it's not "hating".

But the fact is that Germany bought itself a noose from Russia because it was cheap, and now it's hanging from it. There is absolutely no one else to blame. Germany's naivety and gullibility is beyond description. It deserves flack. But it's not "the whole world hating" Germany.

I do agree there's plenty of thinking along the lines of, "Germany being the shame of Western Europe, now when have we seen that before?"

Dunno, after reading on reddit for a while it sure seems a lot like it. :p Of course there is the occasional defender, but they seem more like germans to me, which imo doesn't really help it.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

7 hours ago, Malcador said:

Ukraine apparently struck the Moskva with some cruise missiles, not sure if she's lost though.

I've read that it sunk. And not from a source given to spread pro-UA propaganda either.

edit: unconfirmed, though

Whatever the case, massive blow to Russian pride and morale.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

7 hours ago, Lexx said:

Im not sure why you feel the whole world is hating on Germany, you shouldnt use reddit or SM as s gauge to determine real sentiment

Germany cant just cut all energy ties to Russia, this takes time and this was well known 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

John Milton 

29 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Germany cant just cut all energy ties to Russia, this takes time and this was well known 

But the whole energy dependence on Russia was a clever ploy that Germany swallowed hook, line and sinker. As I said, Germany bought a noose because it was cheap, and now it's hanging from it. Russia's aim has surely been well known for quite some time.

Germany is not the only one to blame, of course, but in this energy situation it is the main culprit. England is equally culpable in the sense that it most certainly welcomed Russian money, although it was well known how dark it was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, 213374U said:

Whatever the case, massive blow to Russian pride and morale.

Would be great to be able to say whether this represents brilliance from Ukraine, a massive blunder from Russians, or both, or neither. But my knowledge of military strategy is not good at all, so I cannot say.

It does appear that Ukraine has managed some pretty impressive things, and it's undeniable that Russia has been downright idiotic in many of its actions and choices. But as for this one, I have no idea.

• Like 1

I don't mind germany buying cheap from russia. Everybody did it. I hate that they are still so stubborn that they just refuse to go nuclear for their stupid 'green' ideology and rest of Europe is paying for it. Also previous prime minister being defacto employed by russia is quite red flag to me xD

• Like 3

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

1 hour ago, Lexx said:

Dunno, after reading on reddit for a while it sure seems a lot like it. :p Of course there is the occasional defender, but they seem more like germans to me, which imo doesn't really help it.

Many EU countries are working against escalation but you have to admit that Germany uniquely has sent some mixed messages.
I think there is a running gag with German arms industry offering weaponry only for Scholtz to shoot them down. 
Might be a culture shock after Merkel who was very consistent in communication.

11 hours ago, Sarex said:

So why don't they take care of the Ukrainian refugees for a start?

We do care. Only in Vysegrad Countries and Romania are more than 4.5 millions of them. Even my incompetent government is pumping a lot of money to volunteers and companies who help the refugees with accommodation and work.

• Like 3

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

More news on Moskva, keep in mind, part of it is unconfirmed: Cost of the ship in todays money vould be 1-2billions USD. It is said, it was loaded with S300s to support occupied territories with AA defense. Ergo, if this is true, depending of number of S300s loaded, Ukraine just sunk minimum of 3 billions USD with two rockets...

• Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

I don't mind germany buying cheap from russia. Everybody did it.

But this is an awful argument. Surely it's clear that commerce with out-and-out criminals doesn't become more justified if more people are doing it. Also, not everybody did it.

It is interesting, by the way, how the Baltic countries are among the few to have taken a notably harsher stance towards Russia, and earlier than most. They knew. They knew so well.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, pmp10 said:

Many EU countries are working against escalation but you have to admit that Germany uniquely has sent some mixed messages.

It was noteworthy to see that when several European leaders visited Ukraine just the other day, a visitor from Germany was NOT welcomed into the country. So he didn't go.

That was not a mixed message from Ukraine.

3 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

It was noteworthy to see that when several European leaders visited Ukraine just the other day, a visitor from Germany was NOT welcomed into the country. So he didn't go.

That was not a mixed message from Ukraine.

I have already seen, that the Zelensky's adviser has already said, that the Bild/CNN was not correct about that statement.

All I have found so far is this though:

• Thanks 1

Also, sorry for another multipost, but only now, I have found another funny news 😄

A day after Russian settled again at Kherson airport.

There is a report that the Kherson Airport is again on fire 😄 (In all seriousness, if I count correctly, it is 12th attack of Ukrainian army on the same airport, after the Russians had settled there and got annihilated over and over and over 😄 Even few high ranked commanders were eliminated during these counterattacks 😄

It's a biggest military meme in the last 100 years 😄

Edited by Mamoulian War
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1