ranDom vIdeO game news

majestic

Sort of old news... but worth a watch for a Warhammer 40K 30K fan

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

What type of game is this?

As @Lexx said, it's a tabletop wargame. Same universe as the Warhammer 40K tabletop wargame, but set 10000 years before, during the time of The Horus Heresy.

There was a thread in Way off topic for movies and graphics for Games Workshop games, but I try to keep that one for fan made artwork and put the commercial stuff (made by or published by GW) in the game section.

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Let's be honest, if it were a video game, it'd probably just be the same-same shlog as it usually is. 😄

• Sad 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Agreed, for all its potential and rich background, the GW universe has produced very few "quality" games. Vermintide, Mechanicus and Mordheim: City of the Damned are fun, but there are a lot I haven't touched, as the reviews were out horrendous or just not a type of game that appealed to me. Worst I ever laid my hands on (many years ago) was a Tau game obviously written for consoles. Fire Warrior (or something like that) iirc.

Frustrating when considering how much potential it has for quality great tactical combat games as well as CRPG's :(

• Sad 1

It would be so cool to have a (real) RPG where you play as an Inquisitor. I don't mean another 3rd-person shooter thingy with some character stats to increase for good measure, but a *true* RPG. Imagine ... I don't know, Disco Elysium, but in the 40k universe.

The Eisenhorn / Ravenor vs Eisenhorn books are very popular, there is no reason to believe gamers wouldn't want to play something like that.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Rather surprised they've not had one yet, as they seem to have handed the IP to any developer over the years. Maybe they'd feel the fanbase is too married to the violence to go for a game where it's not the main focus.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

There have been a billion games where you play as one legion or another of the boring space marines. Where's my Evil Sunz combat racing game? Seriously, can we get basically Twisted Metal but 40K? Obviously I'm playing Evil Sunz because the red uns go faster.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Agreed, for all its potential and rich background, the GW universe has produced very few "quality" games. Vermintide, Mechanicus and Mordheim: City of the Damned are fun, but there are a lot I haven't touched, as the reviews were out horrendous or just not a type of game that appealed to me. Worst I ever laid my hands on (many years ago) was a Tau game obviously written for consoles. Fire Warrior (or something like that) iirc.

Frustrating when considering how much potential it has for quality great tactical combat games as well as CRPG's :(

Dawn of War was (a) great (source of memes). Battlefleet Gothic Armada too. Maybe I'm biased because it seems to be a franchise that produces a lot of coop games, but I like their approach with regards to licensing. I simply ignore all the shovelware made under the brand, and go for the few good bits, heh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I liked DoW2. At the time when it came out Dow was just another RTS in a sea of other RTS game, it didn't bring anything new, gameplay wise, to the table..

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I liked the first one actually. 

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I liked the first DOW. It was a good, fast paced RTS.

I disliked the second, mostly because it might as well had a completely different name. It had nothing to do with the first other than the 40K IP, so why called it "2", other than to trick people into buying it based on their liking of the first game.

I disliked the third because it simply is a bad game.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Good old days of DoW. Played them so much, all the addons and whatever there was. Was so disappointed when the campaigns slowly transformed into the skirmish map simulator ...

I actually liked DoW2 a lot as well. Didn't even know there was a DoW3.

Edited by Lexx

I guess second one had some good ideas but we don't talk about the third one...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I think for me the games really ended once I realized that all of them will only have the skirmish-map singleplayer campaigns from now on. The plain obvious multiplayer design just took me out of it so hard.

DoW 2 had an expansion, I forget what it was called. You could play as one of 2 or 3 boring space marine legions, as per usual, but you could also play through the campaign as some of the Xenos. You could be Orks, Eldar, Tyranids... I don't remember if Tau were playable. Anyway, I played as Orks, obviously. I had a blast because Orks have the wackiest units, when you upgrade them they just slap another gun on to their gun for more dakka, and their banter was hilarious. The cherry on top was that the Ork captain just wanted the lady's hat at the end because he was into hats. Good times.

Edit: I think Chaos Marines were playable also.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Thanks 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

21 minutes ago, Sarex said:

I liked DoW2. At the time when it came out Dow was just another RTS in a sea of other RTS game, it didn't bring anything new, gameplay wise, to the table..

DoW was still enjoyable though and the campaign was fun. I liked the sync kills (albeit hard to notice most of the time), nice detail to put in

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I looked it up. It was DoW 2 Retribution. Playable were Imperial Guard, Blood Ravens Space Marines, Black Legion Chaos Marines, Ork Freebooterz, Alaitoc Eldar, and Tyranids. The campaign story wasn't as good as the base game because it needed to be generic enough to work with any faction, but getting to play as chaos or xenos more than made up for that.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

no fans of Shadow of the Horned Rat or Dark Omen? for shame

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

1 minute ago, Keyrock said:

I looked it up. It was DoW 2 Retribution. Playable were Imperial Guard, Blood Ravens Space Marines, Black Legion Chaos Marines, Ork Freebooterz, Alaitoc Eldar, and Tyranids. The campaign story wasn't as good as the base game because it needed to be generic enough to work with any faction, but getting to play as chaos or xenos more than made up for that.

Warhammer heresy Memes