ranDom vIdeO game news

majestic

2 hours ago, kanisatha said:

https://www.aroged.com/2022/03/06/fallout-new-vegas-2-development-entrusted-to-obsidian-or-inxile-the-latest-from-jeff-grubb/

What do you guys think? Assuming there's some truth to the rumors, will those of you diehard fans of F:NV who've been hoping for a sequel be okay with that sequel coming from inXile rather than Obsidian?

What an interesting question for such an iconic sequel, I have played and loved games from both studios but I would prefer Obsidian because F:NV 1 was developed by them and it was an excellent game so why rock the boat ?

In fact its in list of top 5 RPG of all time  

• Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yeah, on the one hand, that Obsidian has so much on its plate right now with the games it's currently working on bodes well for Obsidian and for us Obsidian fans. But on the other hand, if it means a prospective F:NV2 gets farmed out to another Xbox studio, I don't know if I like the sound of that. It especially bothers me that this may effectively kill the idea of a PoE3, at least for many years to come.

• Thanks 1

At this point I suspect Avowed might have to be regarded as the closest to a PoE3 we're going to get any time soon.

On the face of it InXile would look more likely for a fill in Fallout between Bethesda titles as they have a lot less on their plate as Obsidian has Outer Worlds 2 and Avowed already, and both must be in full production mode. I wouldn't know about InXile doing a New Vegas title though, their Wasteland games would suggest they should do a squad based RPG rather than a fps/ 3ps. So more Fallout Tactics 2 with a lot greater emphasis on talkie RPG aspects.

If I were Microsoft I'd probably want to have a lot better spacing time wise between Fallout titles, something like 2-3 years, and keep the named series to the studios they're associated with, ie Obs and Beth. And while the more 'tactics' type of games aren't generally top dollar money spinners they can be very useful if you want people on gamepass and the like, since they'll attract a different audience and are long enough that most will take multiple billing cycles to complete them. So have InXile make Fallout: Arizona. They could just about reskin Wasteland 2 to do that anyway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kanisatha said:

https://www.aroged.com/2022/03/06/fallout-new-vegas-2-development-entrusted-to-obsidian-or-inxile-the-latest-from-jeff-grubb/

What do you guys think? Assuming there's some truth to the rumors, will those of you diehard fans of F:NV who've been hoping for a sequel be okay with that sequel coming from inXile rather than Obsidian?

Matty discussed the leak with JG himself. From what I remember: No, F:NV2 isn't happening yet, but it's being discussed, so even if it happens it's a long time before it is made. Also F:NV2 means another game like NV, not necessarily a direct sequel to NV.

Edited by Wormerine

Truth told, I really don't want inXile to make a Fallout game.

That said, Fallout "New Vegas 2" from anyone else but Obsidian would just be a crappy attempt to cash in on the hype around it. Either Obsidian makes a new Fallout game, or they can just **** off with that idea for all I care.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

5 hours ago, Lexx said:

Truth told, I really don't want inXile to make a Fallout game.

That said, Fallout "New Vegas 2" from anyone else but Obsidian would just be a crappy attempt to cash in on the hype around it. Either Obsidian makes a new Fallout game, or they can just **** off with that idea for all I care.

As much as I would love to see the next Fallout game from Obsidian, I can understand MS's reasoning. The longer nothing happens, the more the public "gets out of touch" with a franchise. Keep the hype up so to speak and Obsidian is still a medium size studio at best, with limited capacity.

Edit: With the potential of nukes getting involved in the war in Ukraine, you never know, the next Fallout game may be more relevant in a central European setting

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yes, but then they should not call it "New Vegas 2" in public, as that is just misleading.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

8 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

At this point I suspect Avowed might have to be regarded as the closest to a PoE3 we're going to get any time soon.

On the face of it InXile would look more likely for a fill in Fallout between Bethesda titles as they have a lot less on their plate as Obsidian has Outer Worlds 2 and Avowed already, and both must be in full production mode. I wouldn't know about InXile doing a New Vegas title though, their Wasteland games would suggest they should do a squad based RPG rather than a fps/ 3ps. So more Fallout Tactics 2 with a lot greater emphasis on talkie RPG aspects.

If I were Microsoft I'd probably want to have a lot better spacing time wise between Fallout titles, something like 2-3 years, and keep the named series to the studios they're associated with, ie Obs and Beth. And while the more 'tactics' type of games aren't generally top dollar money spinners they can be very useful if you want people on gamepass and the like, since they'll attract a different audience and are long enough that most will take multiple billing cycles to complete them. So have InXile make Fallout: Arizona. They could just about reskin Wasteland 2 to do that anyway.

I tend to agree that InXile should be tasked to develop games that they have  a proven track record on like BT4 and Wasteland 

So if Obsidian has their hands full then Bethesda should be the Microsoft's  choice for F:NV 2 but they busy with the Elder Scroll 6 which will keep them very busy?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

9 minutes ago, melkathi said:

Battle Toads 4?

Help me out here

Yes Bards Tale 4, I played it before I played any of the older BT games and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I enjoy the "grid based combat " design and how you  can be very strategic in combat with skills and abilities

But some of  the puzzles were  incredibly difficult,  the hardest puzzles I have ever experienced. I probably spent about 6 hours just using walk-throughs and taking photos with my phone around these blood flow puzzles and then trying to replicate the images in the game :grin:

You have an option to play a song and "cheat " and bypass most puzzles but I only used that once on the final door 

John Milton 

I'd have no problem with inXile trying their hand at a single-character RPG, for the chief reason in that there'd be double the number of my preferred type of RPG being developed simultaneously. If that vehicle is Fallout instead of one of their homegrown properties, then so be it, it's potentially interesting regardless of whether it be set in the Wasteland, Fallout, or hell, the Age of Empires or Midtown Madness setting.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

8 hours ago, Lexx said:

Yes, but then they should not call it "New Vegas 2" in public, as that is just misleading.

No one called anything just yet. Those are leaks of internal talks. How about Fallout-New-Vegas2-like?

The thing that puzzles me is that Brian Fargo himself has confirmed that inXile is already working on two AAA RPGs using the UE5 engine, the more far along of these being Project Cobalt (open world steampunk FPS RPG). And they are much smaller than Obsidian. So how would it be possible for them to pick up a potential F:NV2?

I don't buy the rumor. InXile already has a post apocalyptic series that seems to do fine. Bethesda is big enough to develop the next Fallout whenever they want. New Vegas wasn't a big enough hit for Microsoft to be desperate to get a sequel out. None of it adds up.

• Hmmm 1

The rumour makes a lot more sense than most though, simply from a return on investment proposition. It's been 11 years since the last SP TES game and 6 since the last SP Fallout. Potentially you'd have nothing but Fallout 76 for... maybe 13-14 years before a Bethesda developed F5. It's also a setting with a lot of potential for non FPS RPG approaches. Get Arkane to make a stealth orientated Prey/ Dishonoured type thing, do a more tactics/ squad game, a strategy game. Plenty of options, and they can be done at a smaller scale to fill in the release schedule.

The problem with Bethesda just deciding to do it is you have to ask yourself why they didn't think of that themselves years ago. Answer being, that they must have thought of it since it's so obvious, but decided against it. Presumably for good reason, since an accelerated TES/ Fallout schedule --> more money.

Personally, I'd be surprised if Bethesda wasn't making a Fallout 6 already, but it's a long time away and behind two other titles in queue. That suggests maybe 5-6 years still to wait. Microsoft paid a lot of money for the studios and the IP, I'm sure they'd like to see some return/ use on the 2nd most important of those before 2027.

[goddamit man, proofread your posts]

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Personally, I'd be surprised if Bethesda wasn't making a Fallout 6 already, but it's a long time away and behind two other titles in queue. That suggests maybe 5-6 years still to wait.

Starfield still isn’t out yet. More like 3-5 years till Elder Scrolls6 and then Fallout5. It also might be wise for 76 to not be the last Fallout thing released. With Fallout being one of the valuable IP that Microsoft has acquired it wouldn’t be shocking for them to want to do something with it in near future. I wouldn’t get too excited with a prospect of major Obsidian lead Fallout game but something might happen. The question I keep asking myself is: what engine would such theoretical fallout game use - Starfields? Elder Scroll6? Avowed/OuterWorld2? Have no modding and it is less of a modern fallout game. Building full Fallout game would be a far bigger undertaking then following F3 release with NV. I mean, I wouldn’t say no to top-down fallout 😊

I assume they'd be accelerating the timetable somewhat now from the seemingly lethargic last decade- and to be fair the last few years have had some notable outlier factors, not least the company being sold which probably put a damper on major decisions being made. ESO and FO76 are also now 'complete' and self funding/ resourcing (presumably) rather than in full development and directly competing for development resources/ money/ attention with the SP suite of games, and that ought to help things along too.

But yeah, 5-6 years would be shortest practical wait for F5. It would be very surprising if it were quicker and not at all surprising if it took even years longer. Either way, plenty of time for a smaller scale game to slot in, and plenty of motivation for MS to use the IP.

On 5/10/2022 at 11:49 PM, Zoraptor said:

This made me sort of laugh. I'm not pining for a PoE3, especially, but damn I'm a limited guy: I can only get enthusiastic about a certain brand of cRPGs, and there just aren't that many around. It's a shame. It's also completely my fault, I know. But I mean, BG2, PoE, PoE2, P:K, P:WotR and that's about it. I'd like to have a few more good ones...

(I do have Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness installed, but I haven't tried it yet. P:WotR is getting less and less interesting all the time, the writing is just not very good.)

• Like 2

Wait, you just noticed?

I was sharing links about this and wondering how come you weren't excited. I mean the game has you as the main target audience. It's from Spider after all :p

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).