What are some rare or overlooked items you love?

Hello

What are some rare, overlooked, or obscure items you really like? I am thinking about items you get for killing important NPCS!  

I recently discovered how much I love Gipon Prudesco, the unique armor you get will reaching -3 Reputation with the Principi.  In my current playthrough, I decided to 'kill everyone' just to see what unique items are out there. I was surprised to see how many good items are out there, but I do regret burning so many bridges in terms of quest rewards for other items.

https://pillarsofeternity.fandom.com/wiki/Gipon_Prudensco

I really love this armor because it allows +10 deflection and +20 reflex as its innate ability, which also stacks with active abilities, If am not mistaken! I think that certain item abilities actually stack with abilities which you activate.

What this means is my Swashbuckler can get around 150 deflection, which is very nice for Riposte!

2. I killed Queens Oneida( sp) at her palace., and she has a really good helm - +10 accuracy on being critically hit, but only for 10 seconds?. I think the Helm of the White Void would be better, but maybe some people out there have ideas. 

https://pillarsofeternity.fandom.com/wiki/Serpent_Crown

3. KIlling all of the RDC, the Hazanui has boots thats +5 ranged deflection, which is alright, but not really groundbreaking. 

https://pillarsofeternity.fandom.com/wiki/Fenan's_Finery

So, what are some other items you really like? 

• Like 1

Up to interpretation, someone's overlooked or rarely used item may be a staple of another's. But off the top of my head, some underrated items:

Contender's armor (med armor): can get upwards of -30% recovery time unconditionally, while the medium armor +35% penalty is negated down to +6% with abraham pet + fighter armored grace. Basically an even stronger version of abraham + miscreant's leather for lowering recovery time (for Eder, or fighter classes)
Bounding boots: Leap can be cast from a huge distance,. Can also leap to steal from otherwise unstealable chests.
Death's Maw (helm): Damage reduction that stacks with other sources of DR, available immediately at game start
Pallegina's armor variations (med armor), especially Desgraza Breastplate (partywide effect): another source of stacking damage reduction that improves as health decreases (similar to undying burden and nerian's ward), intuitive and hassle-free mechanism for improved survivability at low hp

Edited by Kosai
  • Like 2

One of the most underrated items is maybe The Magnificent Escape Cape imo - at least when you are a Wizard or Priest. Its Escape does +50 deflection like the original Escape. But unlick the original it stacks with everything except Escape itself. And as a Wizard/Priest you can prolong it with Wall of Draining/Salvation of Time.

It's quite fun to use it with a Streetfighter/Wizard to get to 50% health and then "Escape" + buff up like crazy and stay there at blooded status but in rel. safety.
Also nice for humans (Fightng Spirit) and Barbs (Blooded). Maybe also Death Godlikes - but I didn't try that.  

Same is true for Mask of the Weyc (stacks with everything else but Arcane Veil itself) - but that's a late-late game item so I don't consider it often.

I really like the Upright Captain's Belt because immunity to push & pull effects is so great to have for your tank if you make heavy use of Pull of Eora or other similar effects. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

54 minutes ago, Kosai said:

Contender's armor (med armor): can get upwards of -30% recovery time unconditionally, while the medium armor +35% penalty is negated down to +6% with abraham pet + fighter armored grace. Basically an even stronger version of abraham + miscreant's leather for lowering recovery time (for Eder, or fighter classes)

I second this. It's my favorite armor choice for a psyblade.

And add there the Nalvi pet equipped on Eder, for an additional party wide armor recovery time reduction... So you are really faster in armor, than would be without it.

----------

Regarding other items: it's really hard to say which are overlooked, but can say which I like a lot:

• Spoiler
    • Acina's Tricorn: first of all for the +5 Ranged Accuracy which iirc also affects ranged spells
    • Coil of Resourcefulness (from Spoils of Caed Nua): for quick-switching weapons. Think of starting the fight with: a shoot from Dragon's Dowry (from stealth, -85% recovery) -> shoot again -> switch to Xefa + Kitchen Stove -> use Thunderous Report -> shoot with blunderbusses -> switch to Spearcaster or Fleebreaker -> shoot and switch to Red Hand -> shoot again (first shoot doesn't trigger reload). 
    • Gauntlets of Swift Action (from Spoils of Caed Nua): +15% Action Speed
    • Gloves of the Dungeon Warden: cose accuracy
    • Ring of Focused Flame: cose accuracy
    • Ring of the Marksman: cose accuracy
    • Helm of the White Void: because accuracy. Usually goes to whoever is on the "Repulsive Visage" duty
    • Magistrate's Cudgel: because of Judged and +10 accuracy
    • Kapana Taga: because accuracy
    • Keeper of the Flame: because accuracy (or malus to will)
    • Skullcrusher: because of injury application
    • Shattered Vengeance: damage increase from Shards of Woedica is great to boost spell damage dealt in boss fights
    • Ngati Tusk: because of malus defense aura
    • Squid's Grasp: because of unflankable, which can be useful if you have blunderbuss with modal enabled. Also it opens possibility for some neat tactician shenanigans with vanilla Brilliant.
    • Blackened plate: because of -1 AR aura
    • Nomad's Brigandine: because of Tactical Withdraw and it's synergy with Deliberations from Magistrate's Cudgel

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Kosai said:

Bounding boots: Leap can be cast from a huge distance,. Can also leap to steal from otherwise unstealable chests.

this. i don't even use it to steal. leap is just such a good mobility effect to give to non-barbarian classes. has made me appreciate the barbarian ability more, too (but this way you don't have to spend ability points on it). use it to escape engagement, use it to debuff enemies (daze), use it to get into perfect positioning, just great.

i had a recent run with mantle of the seven bolts, and uh i'm stupified i haven't used this earlier. it would be utterly broken with the mod that turns per rest items into per encounter. for most of the game, the bolt spell is a room-clearing effect, especially indoors where you can bounce it off walls.

I also like charm of bones. +2 intellect is always nice, the vessel bonus is very relevant against some very tough enemies throughout the game (esp neriscyrlas and dorudugan), but the cherry on top are the summons you can get which are a) extremely freaking powerful [you can summon some high-level fampyrs or priest vessels with high level spells for example] and b) not limited per encounter. You are limited to ten total over its lifetime, but you can either make some early fights a lot easier, or save them up for some rough fights later (in my most recent one I used 8 charges just to drain megaboss Auranic out of all her spells). i don't see a lot of chatter for this item, but it really has lasting value and you can get it potentially really early.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, thelee said:

I also like charm of bones. +2 intellect is always nice, the vessel bonus is very relevant against some very tough enemies throughout the game (esp neriscyrlas and dorudugan), but the cherry on top are the summons you can get which are a) extremely freaking powerful [you can summon some high-level fampyrs or priest vessels with high level spells for example] and b) not limited per encounter. You are limited to ten total over its lifetime, but you can either make some early fights a lot easier, or save them up for some rough fights later (in my most recent one I used 8 charges just to drain megaboss Auranic out of all her spells). i don't see a lot of chatter for this item, but it really has lasting value and you can get it potentially really early.

I use it sometimes to cast Screaming Souls, they are very resistant!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kosai said:

Up to interpretation, someone's overlooked or rarely used item may be a staple of another's. But off the top of my head, some underrated items:

Death's Maw (helm): Damage reduction that stacks with other sources of DR, available immediately at game start
Pallegina's armor variations (med armor), especially Desgraza Breastplate (partywide effect): another source of stacking damage reduction that improves as health decreases (similar to undying burden and nerian's ward), intuitive and hassle-free mechanism for improved survivability at low hp

That is great to know. Thanks. I really like streetfighters, so I will have to try this out!

9 hours ago, Boeroer said:

One of the most underrated items is maybe The Magnificent Escape Cape imo - at least when you are a Wizard or Priest. Its Escape does +50 deflection like the original Escape. But unlick the original it stacks with everything except Escape itself. And as a Wizard/Priest you can prolong it with Wall of Draining/Salvation of Time.

It's quite fun to use it with a Streetfighter/Wizard to get to 50% health and then "Escape" + buff up like crazy and stay there at blooded status but in rel. safety.
Also nice for humans (Fightng Spirit) and Barbs (Blooded). Maybe also Death Godlikes - but I didn't try that.  

Same is true for Mask of the Weyc (stacks with everything else but Arcane Veil itself) - but that's a late-late game item so I don't consider it often.

I really like the Upright Captain's Belt because immunity to push & pull effects is so great to have for your tank if you make heavy use of Pull of Eora or other similar effects. 

9 hours ago, MaxQuest said:

I second this. It's my favorite armor choice for a psyblade.

And add there the Nalvi pet equipped on Eder, for an additional party wide armor recovery time reduction... So you are really faster in armor, than would be without it.

----------

Regarding other items: it's really hard to say which are overlooked, but can say which I like a lot:

•   Reveal hidden contents
    • Acina's Tricorn: first of all for the +5 Ranged Accuracy which iirc also affects ranged spells
    • Coil of Resourcefulness (from Spoils of Caed Nua): for quick-switching weapons. Think of starting the fight with: a shoot from Dragon's Dowry (from stealth, -85% recovery) -> shoot again -> switch to Xefa + Kitchen Stove -> use Thunderous Report -> shoot with blunderbusses -> switch to Spearcaster or Fleebreaker -> shoot and switch to Red Hand -> shoot again (first shoot doesn't trigger reload). 
    • Gauntlets of Swift Action (from Spoils of Caed Nua): +15% Action Speed
    • Gloves of the Dungeon Warden: cose accuracy
    • Ring of Focused Flame: cose accuracy
    • Ring of the Marksman: cose accuracy
    • Helm of the White Void: because accuracy. Usually goes to whoever is on the "Repulsive Visage" duty
    • Magistrate's Cudgel: because of Judged and +10 accuracy
    • Kapana Taga: because accuracy
    • Keeper of the Flame: because accuracy (or malus to will)
    • Skullcrusher: because of injury application
    • Shattered Vengeance: damage increase from Shards of Woedica is great to boost spell damage dealt in boss fights
    • Ngati Tusk: because of malus defense aura
    • Squid's Grasp: because of unflankable, which can be useful if you have blunderbuss with modal enabled. Also it opens possibility for some neat tactician shenanigans with vanilla Brilliant.
    • Blackened plate: because of -1 AR aura
    • Nomad's Brigandine: because of Tactical Withdraw and it's synergy with Deliberations from Magistrate's Cudgel

Great advice! I love having super fast attacks.  

6 hours ago, thelee said:

this. i don't even use it to steal. leap is just such a good mobility effect to give to non-barbarian classes. has made me appreciate the barbarian ability more, too (but this way you don't have to spend ability points on it). use it to escape engagement, use it to debuff enemies (daze), use it to get into perfect positioning, just great.

i had a recent run with mantle of the seven bolts, and uh i'm stupified i haven't used this earlier. it would be utterly broken with the mod that turns per rest items into per encounter. for most of the game, the bolt spell is a room-clearing effect, especially indoors where you can bounce it off walls.

Yes, the accuracy bonus is nice , right? Thank you !  I finally killed Megaboss Auranic with my swashbuckler (Streetfighter/Devoted) ugh it was really hard. I used a custom build for 6 quick slots, 10 invis potions, gouging strikes, and burst dmg. I forget about summons haha! 

• Like 1

I've never built on it, but what do you guys think about Blade of the Endless Path ?

The speed and accuracy bonus are solid, but the selling point should be this -4 Def malus on Crit for 45s and that stacks up to 5 times. All the party should benefit from such a cute effect.

This sounds very appealing against everything that isn't immune to pierce or have enormous Deflection and Resolve.

• Like 2

It is very good imo. I value the speed and ACC bonuses higher than the deflection debuff though. You can even use it on a Phantom - and stack the debuff up to 10 instances and not only 5.
But generally I thinkt that enemies that receive crits easily don't need further deflection malus that badly and enemies that would need a deflection malus are not that easy to crit in the first place - so to me it sounds better than it actually is. :)

What I didn't try: using a Debonaire with the Blade and another, high ACC party member who charms (maybe Psion/Ranger or so). The Debonaire would get 100% crit conversion vs. the charmed enemy which would mean the deflection debuff would get stacked quickly while the blade also accumulates its ACC bonus. On the other hand a lot of the toughest foes who would need that treatment are resistant or immune to INT afflictions, so... 

Anyway: very good weapon. Too bad I don't like Estocs too much (it's not rational). ;) 

BotEP_phantom.png?dl=1

Although... an Arcane Knight with Ring of Focused Flame, Eternal Devotion, Zealous Aura, Merciless Gaze... could be cool in reminiscence of my old PoE Marking Paladin days... hm... 🤔 

Edited by Boeroer

löl... I just discovered that if your phantom reached 5 stacks you can simply resummon one and open yet another stack of 5 ... and so on.

Works with Willbreaker's will debuff, too. Why didn't I think of this before? 😄 

BotEP_recast_phantom.png?dl=1

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Nemnok's Cloak: Just don't forget to take it off after it saves a life, until you've rested.

A Whale of a Wand: The charm effect has saved me from a wipe more than once.

Thundercrack Pistol: One shot will cause a delayed barrel explosion, which can be useful.

Scourge of Bezzello: 3 projectiles mean that every shot is almost guaranteed to interrupt.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

löl... I just discovered that if your phantom reached 5 stacks you can simply resummon one and open yet another stack of 5 ... and so on.

Works with Willbreaker's will debuff, too. Why didn't I think of this before? 😄 

Have you try with the Rod of the Deep Hunter (seems no limit to stack) and multiples phantoms from shroud of phantasm? As ranged, they are staying for more time ;)

• Like 1

Okay I said that Sisyfo's Stone with its enchantment Futility isn't that good. But I know combined with Blinded, Arduous Delay of Motion, Thundercrack's Charged Field and Ball and Chain's Crushing Yoke and that's significantly slowing down enemies. Good thing is that none of those have to crit to work and there's no immunity to them (except Blinded of course). 

In tandem with a phantom you can stack a lot of Chrushing Yokes and Futilities and the Charged Field has not even an attack roll (like some other auras). 

Maybe that's a concept that could be fun and make sense for the necklace. I never really used it before because the effect wasn't really noticable if it's the only source of slowdown.

7 minutes ago, Constentin Lévine said:

Have you try with the Rod of the Deep Hunter (seems no limit to stack) and multiples phantoms from shroud of phantasm? As ranged, they are staying for more time ;)

Rod of the Deep Hunter's "Crushing Depths" has a stack limit of 5. So it's only -5 deflection (and +15% recovery time) for each phantom or Living Ilusion. But it works on hit (not only crit) so that's cool.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Okay I said that Sisyfo's Stone with its enchantment Futility isn't that good. But I know combined with Blinded, Arduous Delay of Motion, Thundercrack's Charged Field and Ball and Chain's Crushing Yoke and that's significantly slowing down enemies. Good thing is that none of those have to crit to work and there's no immunity to them (except Blinded of course). 

In tandem with a phantom you can stack a lot of Chrushing Yokes and Futilities and the Charged Field has not even an attack roll (like some other auras). 

Maybe that's a concept that could be fun and make sense for the necklace. I never really used it before because the effect wasn't really noticable if it's the only source of slowdown.

Last year I madea test-build on that way, with also the Magnera armor and Finality's Claim ring , and someone to cast Blizzard. I named him Time Parasite, and because of relativity, I estimate that was like I got env. 100 dexterity :)

• Like 2

What about Tarn’s Respite? Can you stack the deflection debuffs to more than 10 with phantoms?

EDIT: Shoot. That probably won’t work, now that I think about it, because the deflection debuff is on an upgrade, and phantoms only get the base copy…

Edited by hansvedic

29 minutes ago, hansvedic said:

EDIT: Shoot. That probably won’t work, now that I think about it, because the deflection debuff is on an upgrade, and phantoms only get the base copy…

No - phantoms get exactly the stuff you have. Always a 1:1 copy with all enchantments etc.

With Tarn's Respite you can stack either the action speed malus or the deflection malus to 20 with the help of a phantom. Or even more if you recast the phantom.

Two of my favorite overlooked item are :

• Blightheart bound to Chanter. Every kill give a phrase, no matter the source... alow to chain cast lot of damaging invocation when fighting hordes.
  • lance of the midwoodstag enchanted with lord of the forest. +2 PL is universal so much better than most weapon boost for caster. Just bring a druid for being under plant effect : woodskin or delemgan aspect work very well.

1 hour ago, Boeroer said:

No - phantoms get exactly the stuff you have. Always a 1:1 copy with all enchantments etc.

With Tarn's Respite you can stack either the action speed malus or the deflection malus to 20 with the help of a phantom. Or even more if you recast the phantom.

Huh. My memory must be mixing things up again.

18 hours ago, Boeroer said:

It is very good imo. I value the speed and ACC bonuses higher than the deflection debuff though. You can even use it on a Phantom - and stack the debuff up to 10 instances and not only 5.
But generally I thinkt that enemies that receive crits easily don't need further deflection malus that badly and enemies that would need a deflection malus are not that easy to crit in the first place - so to me it sounds better than it actually is. :)

What I didn't try: using a Debonaire with the Blade and another, high ACC party member who charms (maybe Psion/Ranger or so). The Debonaire would get 100% crit conversion vs. the charmed enemy which would mean the deflection debuff would get stacked quickly while the blade also accumulates its ACC bonus. On the other hand a lot of the toughest foes who would need that treatment are resistant or immune to INT afflictions, so... 

Anyway: very good weapon. Too bad I don't like Estocs too much (it's not rational). ;) 

BotEP_phantom.png?dl=1

Although... an Arcane Knight with Ring of Focused Flame, Eternal Devotion, Zealous Aura, Merciless Gaze... could be cool in reminiscence of my old PoE Marking Paladin days... hm... 🤔 

I usually use Mowdyr to evaluate an endgame weapon. Mowdyr has a 20% lash and 20% speed (ultimately) which is about x1.40 multiplicative damages. Also comes with an utility and a fun (but midly significant) special attack. Mowdyr works for basically any build.

If a weapon is better than Mowdyr, at least for certain build, then it is a good weapon.

That's why I said 15% speed and (ultimately) +10 Accuracy (around 10-15% multiplicative in my view) is a solid basis. It is close enough from Mowdyr generalist bonuses (the damages one) to start considering deeper.

Then there is this passive, which close the gap with Mowdyr and is likely to surpass it her for the right build. A potential "+20 Accuracy vs weapons" against a specific target for the whole party is getting through the roof of expectation. 

Then BPM is going to provide Entropy a no-roll 100% Hit to Crit for base 15s in next version (upload is soon) 😜...

Beza's Toothed blade worths mentionning too. -2AR stacking with everything on Crit is beyond what any other item can offer...

Edited by Elric Galad