The Cinema and Movie Thread

Amentep

7 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Multiverse-hopping Michelle Yeoh? Sign me up!

another argument for not going to theatres to watch movies, 'cause am suspecting a large % o' people going to see this flick is gonna be baked to some degree and that is the kinda thing one should be doing in the privacy o' their own home.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

15 hours ago, majestic said:

Yes, you really need to if you haven't already. That stuff's worth standing ovations. Think of what you will of Jean Claude van Damme, at least he can laugh about himself, unlike some of his, uhm, brethren in terrible movie making.

Seagal is like the total mirror of him, hah.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 12/15/2021 at 10:12 AM, Gromnir said:

another argument for not going to theatres to watch movies, 'cause am suspecting a large % o' people going to see this flick is gonna be baked to some degree and that is the kinda thing one should be doing in the privacy o' their own home.

HA! Good Fun!

eh?

On 12/14/2021 at 4:41 PM, Keyrock said:

Multiverse-hopping Michelle Yeoh? Sign me up!

Short Round! Hah!

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

6 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Hot damn. Skarsgard gots all the abs.

Ok, on one hand Eggers is a must watch for me and this trailer really drives that home. On the other, with the rona looking to make another comeback I'm worried that theaters around me won't be safe. I guess that will mean I have to wait a few months after release.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

The Matrix 4 or Resurrections...

I mean if it had to happen I guess I'm glad it happened like this. The movie is ok, kind of like the epilogue to the LotR where the Hobits come home and there is one more adventure waiting for them, or at least that is the feeling I had.

Minor spoiler

Spoiler

If what they said in the movie is true and WB was going to make this sequel no matter what, then I'm glad at least one of the original creators was involved.

The movie is not going to be a box office hit like the previous movies, I'm almost completely certain, but I don't think people will hate it. The only thing I think they could have done a little less of, are the

Spoiler

flashbacks

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

^ I'm always at least a bit curious about a Cumberbatch movie. Then I saw Sam Raimi was directing. Curious immediately went to "interested". At least a little bit.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

24 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

^ I'm always at least a bit curious about a Cumberbatch movie. Then I saw Sam Raimi was directing. Curious immediately went to "interested". At least a little bit.

a rami directed and lovecraft-inspired marvel movie with cumberbatch as dr. strange woulda' sounded like the punchline to a joke if uttered back in 2000. next we will be told tim burton is doing an awesome andy film with forest whitaker in the starring role. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps (edit) curious link fail

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

I'm completely burned out on superhero movies. The fact that Sam Rami is directing this is the only reason I have any interest in it at all. My biggest concern is how much was he allowed to make a Sam Rami movie (yay!) and how much was he forced to make a Marvel movie (*snore*).

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm interested in the newest Spiderman movie, it's been getting great reviews. I guess you can't make a good Spiderman movie without Tobey Maguire...go figure...

• Gasp! 1

I honestly can't think of anything that Tobey Maguire did after Spider-Man.

Anyways I'm burned out on superheroes so I'll watch a heart warming family movie called Candyman (2021) tonight. 

• Gasp! 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I remember him in The Great Gatsby, but that was a minor role and apparently he was in Tropic Thunder. Guess he has **** you money after Spiderman and no desire to prove himself.

first time we saw, we thought it were a parody trailer, and the thing is, the miniseries is indeed a parody, but is six +20-minute episodes o' parody.  you kinda get the joke in the first ten minutes, so...

the thing is, we did watch all six episodes and am typical not able to enjoy will ferrell in anything but small doses.

HA! Good Fun!

5 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

am typical not able to enjoy will ferrell in anything but small doses.

Did you see Stranger Than Fiction? It would be unfair to call it anything other than an odd movie, but it is a departure from his usual shtick

Think Jim Carrey vs Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and you get the idea.

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Since the year is almost over, what's everybody's favorite movie of 2021? 

Mine is Malignant. I wrote about it at length before, but this was one of my favorite horror comedies since Army of Darkness (though I'm still not sure if it was intentionally a horror comedy). There are 2 acts of mediocre and somewhat boring horror to get through before the movie goes off the rails in the best way possible in the glorious and absolutely bat**** insane 3rd act.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I watched only three movies released in 2021, and they are Censor, Pig, and the Summer of Soul. Guess I have to give it to Nicholas Cage's Pig, which was a genuinely fairly good anti-revenge film.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

6 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Not 100% sure, but I can't remember watching any 2021 film. Huh.

if 2020 films with a theatrical release in 2021 count then it's... Violet Evergarden. If not, then I got nothing. :shrugz:

As I say this I realize that I was wrong, and that there really is a 2021 movie that I watched:

Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time and that was a seizure inducing piece of trash that made me write a gigantic rant on just how terrible it is, so that certainly doesn't count as answer to the question even if it's the only one and takes "best" and "worst" film of 2021 I've seen by default.

• Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

24 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

I would first have to remember what movies I watched. 😛
...but according to Box Office Mojo's "domestic" box office list for 2021, the only films I saw that were released in 2021 were:

Tenet - VoD, but I didn't finish because I couldn't understand/hear half the dialogue
Nobody - VoD. Liked it a lot. So I guess it wins by default. 

If I saw any other movies that weren't straight-to-DVDstreaming I don't remember.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

21 minutes ago, majestic said:

Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time and that was a seizure inducing piece of trash that made me write a gigantic rant on just how terrible it is, so that certainly doesn't count as answer to the question even if it's the only one and takes "best" and "worst" film of 2021 I've seen by default.

Yeah, I saw this in my list of watched movies as well, but it didn't feel quite right to call it a movie in the first place, and never mind even remotely consider it for possible best films of 2021.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

54 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Mine is Malignant. I wrote about it at length before, but this was one of my favorite horror comedies since Army of Darkness (though I'm still not sure if it was intentionally a horror comedy). There are 2 acts of mediocre and somewhat boring horror to get through before the movie goes off the rails in the best way possible in the glorious and absolutely bat**** insane 3rd act.

The Beta Test.