The Cinema and Movie Thread

Amentep

13 hours ago, bugarup said:

What do you mean? That was such a Guy Ritchie film trailer it could be its own parody. 

There's apparently been some sort of full-circle that started with Guy Ritchie making films with Jason Statham and ended with Guy Ritchie making "Jason Statham" films.

Did Transporter stop returning his calls?

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

Has anyone here besides me seen the first one? Please tell me I'm not alone in this cold, uncaring universe...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

4 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Has anyone here besides me seen the first one? Please tell me I'm not alone in this cold, uncaring universe...

I have only one question: Why?

Did you at least get a nice t-shirt out of it?

Like this one:

3092335_0.jpg

Just with, uhm, forced to watch Sonic the Hedgehog? :p

Spoiler

Not much of a spoiler I guess, but The Game was pretty good.

• Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

20 minutes ago, majestic said:

Believe it or not, it's...not completely terrible. It's not GOOD, of course, but once you deal with the fact that it's obviously primarily made for children, it's...it's mediocre for the most part, with some actually decent parts and only a few groan-worthy parts. I've unfortunately watched way worse actual literal children's entertainment...but I've also watched plenty better, too.

20 minutes ago, majestic said:

The Game

Year? I don't know what "The Game" is...or if I do, I can't think of what, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Yeah, for a movie aimed at kids it's still quite enjoyable. I wouldn't hype on it as much as the internet did back then, but I didn't fell asleep while watching, so that means something I guess.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

11 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Believe it or not, it's...not completely terrible. It's not GOOD, of course, but once you deal with the fact that it's obviously primarily made for children, it's...it's mediocre for the most part, with some actually decent parts and only a few groan-worthy parts. I've unfortunately watched way worse actual literal children's entertainment...but I've also watched plenty better, too.

I was kidding, mostly, I actually wanted to catch that in the theater with a friend of mine because it looked like really entertaining trash, but then things just shut down forever and ever. Doesn't sound like it was entertaining trash, though. :p

12 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Year? I don't know what "The Game" is...or if I do, I can't think of what, :p.

The Game (1997): Michael Douglas plays an **** investment banker, which is a role he's pretty good at. Read the blurb, if that sounds at all interesting stop, because it's a bit like The Usual Suspects and relies heavily on not knowing what's going on. Any spoilers would be really detrimental for a first experience. David Fincher knows how to make movies, even if Alien³ turned out to be a little on the weaker side. Came out after Se7en.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, majestic said:

I was happy to see Jim Carey get work.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

12 hours ago, majestic said:

I was kidding, mostly, I actually wanted to catch that in the theater with a friend of mine because it looked like really entertaining trash, but then things just shut down forever and ever. Doesn't sound like it was entertaining trash, though.

I think "family" movies are pretty much the definition of cinematic trash - throwing in a literal cartoon character does nothing to change that, :p. It was totally trash, it just...wasn't particularly offensive or aggravating trash! :no:

11 hours ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

I was happy to see Jim Carey get work.

The last interview I ever saw with him was when he was at some awards show some years back and was completely off the walls out of his mind and insisting that nothing or nobody actually existed and everyone was simply characters in his mind or something. Anyone know if he's, uh, doing better?

• Gasp! 1

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

The last interview I ever saw with him was when he was at some awards show some years back and was completely off the walls out of his mind and insisting that nothing or nobody actually existed and everyone was simply characters in his mind or something. Anyone know if he's, uh, doing better?

Maybe he was just wasted? I imagine a fair number of those attending the embarrassing circle jerks called award shows are getting plastered.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

15 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Maybe he was just wasted? I imagine a fair number of those attending the embarrassing circle jerks called award shows are getting plastered.

Dunno, he also claimed there's mercury in vaccinations (I always get a good laugh out of people claiming that organic mercury compounds like Thiomersal are dangerous BECAUSE MERCURY OH MA GAWD!), so at the very least he's been treading dangerously close to the abyss a while ago. Would not be surprised if he jumped off the deep end at some point.

Yeah, fun thing that stuff with compounds, huh. Sodium is corrosive and highly flammable, and chlorine is pretty dangerous stuff when it's not used as miracle cure against every illness on the planet, and yet, ever tried living without sodium chloride? No? Yeah, thought so too. *sigh*

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I think "family" movies are pretty much the definition of cinematic trash - throwing in a literal cartoon character does nothing to change that, :p. It was totally trash, it just...wasn't particularly offensive or aggravating trash! :no:

'ccording to a university film class we took an admitted long time in the past, family movies offer studios the most predictable positive roi. go figure.

also, having met a few actors and actresses, our personal experience suggests more is like jim carey than you might want to believe, but they does a better job o' hiding their eccentricities than mr. carey... 'cause they are actors. high functioning l00ns. 

complete aside, for many students, particular at large public universities employing chronic overworked counselors, is frequent the case there is one bs class you need take to fill an inexcusably unexpected requirement to graduate on-time, and the film class were our desperation class. turned out being kinda fun and we don't regret enrolling, but we threw a rather immature and thankful private fit when we discovered we needed the extra class to graduate.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I think Jim Carrey was playing a chr. named Jim Carrey since teenage years, to cope with a lot of "stuff" and it all came to a head a period of a time ago. eg, depression and stress-pressure coping tactics. It gave us a (sometimes) very funny man but ... sometimes such comes to bite you in the butt eventually, even if temporarily.

Of course, that's all my personal conjecture and I could be full of it. Not like I know the man.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Lola Rennt aka Run Lola Run (1998). This is a German movie I had heard about many times before but never got around to watching until just now. I'm glad I finally watched it. The ticking clock is a device used it media of all types to create tension and never is it on display more prominently than here. It's the same sequence of a woman running, the titular Lola, played out 3 times, but with small differences each time that result in very different outcomes, not only for Lola and her boyfriend Manni, but also for several other people they encounter along the way.

I thoroughly enjoyed Run Lola Run. It's a very fast-paced movie that only slows down briefly a few times. The running time is 80 minutes but it felt more like 60, and I mean that in the best way possible. It's amazing how much more tension and excitement a creative filmmaker on a shoestring budget can create than an office building full of CGI artists and actors in front of a green screen.

• Thanks 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I kinda fear that the 2nd movie will be somewhat meh again, because now they know there is big hype, and imo it usually won't end well.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

7 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Reminds me I need to watch JCVD

Yes, you really need to if you haven't already. That stuff's worth standing ovations. Think of what you will of Jean Claude van Damme, at least he can laugh about himself, unlike some of his, uhm, brethren in terrible movie making.

• Like 3