The Cinema and Movie Thread

Amentep

Just watched The Power of the Dog. Bit slow in the beginning, but I guess that was necessary to establish the characters accordingly. All in all not a bad movie.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Well, I am curious to see what they'll do with it, so the trailer was a success. Hah, didn't notice the music is based off 'Wake up' by RATM.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

31 minutes ago, Amentep said:

While Keanu was in Poland working with CDPR on the ill-fated Cyberpunk 2077, I guess he learned Aard.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

2 minutes ago, bugarup said:

Not completely unrelated. Thank goodness Sergio Leone's films are way too slow for modern sensibilities and therefore safe from rebootvel lunacy. :getlost:

Coming in 2024, Vin Diesel in A Fistful of Dollars, followed in 2026 by 2 Fistfulls 2 Dollars. 

*Cut to both Sergio Leone and Akira Kurosawa spinning in their graves.*

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

11 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

While Keanu was in Poland working with CDPR on the ill-fated Cyberpunk 2077, I guess he learned Aard.

Allegedly he was in a mocap studio in Serbia. humblebrag/weirdflex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

2 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Coming in 2024, Vin Diesel in A Fistful of Dollars, followed in 2026 by 2 Fistfulls 2 Dollars. 

*Cut to both Sergio Leone and Akira Kurosawa spinning in their graves.*

Then he stars as Vito Corleone in the Godfather reboot.  It's about family, after all.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 hours ago, bugarup said:

Not completely unrelated. Thank goodness Sergio Leone's films are way too slow for modern sensibilities and therefore safe from rebootvel lunacy. :getlost:

I submit to you Fantasy Island...and Fantasy Island

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Because it's officially Christmas time I've decided, I've been actively seeking out Christmas movies again.

Disney Plus recently released a film called Christmas...Again? which combines two of my favourite movie genres, Christmas and time loop. I dunno if they're official genres but whatevs.

The basic premise is some girl whose name I forget atm is having a crummy Christmas and after meeting Santa, wishes she could have Christmas again, and because Santa is magic, it happens and she keeps repeating Christmas again and again, with varying results.

I was all right. I'm biased towards time loop movies in general, but I don't think the time loop gimmick was used quite as well as I might've hoped. Still fun tho I guess, and had a great deal of sentimentality which frankly, at this time of year, I'm all for.

16 hours ago, Lexx said:

Still not 100% sure how much I like this multiverse thing.

there has been near two dozen mcu movies. the first spiderverse movie is among our top three sooperhero films, period. 

am also not a fan o' the multiverse thing btw, and we expected to dislike the first spiderverse film in part 'cause the comicbook arc 'pon which it were based were... stoopid. a multiverse war o' totem animal/people hybrids or somesuch nonsense?

is quite possible sequel movies will be garbage in part 'cause the multiverse thing allows for all kinda opportunities for writer self-implosion. paradox is not a writer's friend no matter how many fan fic geniuses believe the contrary. am also not a fan o' the green lantern silliness many superhero titles have embraced in recent decades. earth has a dozen green lanterns and they is increasingly diverse. we need green lanterns who not just represent every ethnic background, but they collective need display the entire spectrum o' sexual preferences while overcoming physical and/or mental obstacles. *sigh* instead o' a new spiderman or green lantern to make everybody feel included, why not create a genuine new f'ing hero? etc.

am underselling how much we don't like the multiverse idea and the notion o' infinite spider-mans. regardless, no matter what happens with sequels it won't change how much we liked the first film. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

2 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

So they couldn't get Hugo Weaving to come back for the Matrix? I mean, he hasn't really aged either.

Weaving said:

Lana was very keen for me to be a part of [The Matrix 4]. I really wanted to because I’m very, very fond of all of them. I had some initial reticence about the idea of going back to revisit The Matrix, after having already done three films, but then I read the script and got an offer to my agent. I immediately responded yes to that, and then we went into negotiation. I was doing a play, at the time, but we were working out dates and things so that I could do both. And then, Lana decided that she didn’t wanna change her dates, so I couldn’t do it. In a nutshell, that’s what happened.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Some of his points have been a point for ages, but I do agree with the concept that tv streaming "killing" DVD sales - which used to be a way for films to make up costs after theater release results - could be a major factor re: budget risk taking from studios. Among other things, ofc.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Practically, overhead isn't that important since it gets defrayed over potentially thousands of products. Vendor cut (eg Walmart/ Amazon for dvds; or movie theatres) is the big factor that download distribution avoids, assuming you have your own service. The cost to do download/ streaming distribution is almost zero, fabrication and distribtion cost of a dvd is higher but still very close to zero.

The closest parallel is Spotify vs CD sales. Pretty much all the big names prefer the old model, and now make the vast majority of their money from live performance rather than sales. If you're getting in the region of 2c per track played you need a track to be played 1000 times to make the same as a $20 CD sale's gross. Maybe halve that for vendor cut (and distribution), but it's still 500 plays required. For most albums that would requires it to be played 50 times to make back the money. I've probably listened to a decent number of albums more than 50 times, but over the course of 30 years. As a corp once you've got the money from a CD (or DVD) it doesn't matter if it's never played once.

Disney would love to cut out the middleman and stream everything, but they also want to retain the premium pricing. If you're got 5 people in a family watching a PPV movie they need to charge you maybe $30* to break even compared to 5 people going to the movies- but most people would consider that unreasonable when it's multiple months worth of subscription streaming and they know they'll get it bundled if they wait 6 months.

*no idea what it costs in the US, but that would be roughly NZ pricing in USD assuming half to the theatre, half to the movie maker.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hurlsnot said:

Hah, Aubrey Plaza will be fantastic in that.

What the hell is going on with Guy Ritchie?

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."