The Cinema and Movie Thread

Amentep

8 hours ago, Keyrock said:

What is the best Drew Struzan movie poster? I nominate The Goonies:

Goonies-Reg-WEB_2048x.png?v=1601669854

Is Drew Struzan the guy responsible for making all the "let's just throw all the characters into a giant hot mess a la Star Wars" posters? ...Yes, yes he is.

Spoiler

Attack_of_the_Clones.jpg?337

special_harry_potter_and_the_philosopher

Indiana_Jones_and_the_temple_of_doom.jpg

Ugh. Okay, so I'm going to look real quick for some where he DIDN'T do that.

The_Thing.jpg?337

It turns out, there weren't very many where he didn't do that, and most of them where he didn't were ultra cheesy in some other way, so this ended up being a very easy choice: The Thing. In retrospect, it's probably not necessarily his fault all his posters look the same, but more likely a function of the types of movies he's being hired to make posters for (i.e. big action/adventure movies that want a poster that "looks the same" as other successful action/adventure movies' posters in order to help sell it) and being "type-casted" into doing the same kind of poster over and over. I guess at least his posters are actual posters, unlike what we get today.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

am not sure if we got a favorite drew struzan poster, but for some reason we insta thought o' the russian star wars movie poster, though not 'cause it was great or anything

Spoiler

8b50b6763697ccf19026c557cb58ed99.jpg

we do recall a few fantastic polish offerings. am thinking the polish saving private ryan might be top three for us. polish blade runner, apocalypse now and the birds are also kinda kewl.

Spoiler

19772622_master.jpg?width=768

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The Polish, uh, don't pull many punches with their posters, do they?

4938-saving-private-ryan-spielberg-polis

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

The Polish, uh, don't pull many punches with their posters, do they?

gotta admit, our first reaction were, "wtf?"

then we kinda reflected and thought 'bout saving private ryan and we realized no other poster came anywhere near to capturing what am believing spielberg were trying to say. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well, at least in the beach sequence.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Little Shop of Horrors (1986). Uh, what? :p Final sequence with

Spoiler

the plants just eating the entire world was pretty wild.

They didn't need to have that, but I (think I) am glad they did. Not one hundred percent sure it was needed from a plot standpoint, but it sure was fun to see the practical effects in action.

Edited by Bartimaeus

It's the original ending of the Broadway play.

Interestingly, that isn't the original ending of the film. The Broadway end tested badly with film audiences so they shot a happier, slightly ambiguous end for the original theatrical release.

The original 60s film the Broadway play is based on has its own sorta downbeat ending.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

11 hours ago, Amentep said:

It's the original ending of the Broadway play.

Interestingly, that isn't the original ending of the film. The Broadway end tested badly with film audiences so they shot a happier, slightly ambiguous end for the original theatrical release.

The original 60s film the Broadway play is based on has its own sorta downbeat ending.

Yeah, I read after that I apparently watched the "Director's Cut" version of the film. The "happier" theatrical cut ending seems almost seems even more subversive, because the "hero" gets away with several murders and lives happily ever after. Doesn't really strike me as right for obvious reasons, but in a horror black comedy musical, I could see it working as being an arguably even more screwed up way to resolve the story. Most likely, that wasn't what the film audience intended, though - dumb film audience gonna dumb film audience, I guess.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

Dune (2021). I watched in on a TV and I'm a little disappointed that it didn't detonate. Motor boat in a bath tub my ass.

The movie itself was boring. Drab color palate, generic sci-fi special effects, and some great actors playing centimeter deep characters in what basically amounts to a 2.5 hour trailer for Dune part 2. Oh, and big worm was a let down.

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I watched the following movies on Disney+ over the weekend:

Shang-Chi and the Ten Rings or whatever - really liked this one but to be fair I'm a card carrying MCU superfan and intend to still be watching the latest Marvel film on my deathbed. Funny, likeable characters, I like that all the main characters got decent screen time.

Jungle Cruise - really liked this one, probs helps that Emily Blunt can do no wrong, and also I just like swashbuckly tales. This was a good time.

Home Sweet Home Alone - So here's the thing. In Home Alone and Home Alone 2, it's fun to watch acts of over the top violence happen because the people it's happening to are jerks who in number one are trying to rob a house and then kidnap a child or whatever, I dunno it's been a while but the point is they sucked and it's fun to watch evil Joe Pesci get all kinds of violent comeuppance. In this latest one the people trying to break into the house are actually more sympathetic than the child and I didn't enjoy seeing violence happen to them at all so I guess overall I didn't care for the film. There were a couple moments that made me chuckle I guess but overall my recommendation is don't bother, which is a conclusion I'm sure most of you already came to by yourself.

On 11/14/2021 at 12:20 AM, KP Cross Split Attack said:

Dune (2021). I watched in on a TV and I'm a little disappointed that it didn't detonate. Motor boat in a bath tub my ass.

The movie itself was boring. Drab color palate, generic sci-fi special effects, and some great actors playing centimeter deep characters in what basically amounts to a 2.5 hour trailer for Dune part 2. Oh, and big worm was a let down.

Dune (2021) is totally absolutely big cinema screen movie. I'm sure you would have liked the worm if you saw him on the big screen. :yes:

I can never decide if I should post in this or the streaming thread. Anywho, I watch The Legend of the 10 Rings on Disney+ and it was really good. Like, I only expected to be half interested (because I know nothing about the character) and it really surprised me how much I liked it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Amentep said:

first, am thinking more villains is usual a bad choice for a sooperhero movie, especial as dr. strange correct identifies the new spiderman protagonists as scoobies. the new spider-man movie is a big budget cinematic action spectacle, so character development opportunities is gonna necessarily suffer. peter and the scoobies, as well as dr. strange and a large % o' the rogue's gallery needs get their screen time while making certain this movie is more EPIC than previous spiderman films? am not doubting a few villains show up as little more than screen filler, but such a result is also gonna be cause for valid criticism. 

based on how doc oc's story concluded in spidey 2, am kinda conflicted 'bout him returning as a villain even if is multiverse shenanigans. to a lesser degree am similar concerned 'bout sandman. 

is not as if am assuming the movie is gonna be bad, but the setup is creating unnecessary storytelling obstacles. am fully aware is much easier to sell spectacle to studios and sequels is frequent indulging the perceived need to be bigger than previous titles, but such realities don't make us less dubious 'bout the direction am seeing from the new spidey film.

HA! Good Fun!