Random-Interesting-Weird

Amentep

On 11/23/2021 at 5:58 AM, Gfted1 said:

I never had the heart to throw live crabs into a pot. Just imagine inhaling boiling water! *shudder* I mean, Ill eat the hell out of them, I just dont want to be the trigger man. :lol:

Just kill them first, that's what I did the one time I my only option was live crab. I just looked it up on YouTube then went to work.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Australia is the drunkest country in the world, survey finds

An international survey has found Australians drank to the point of drunkenness an average of 27 times a year, almost double the global average of 15. Almost a quarter of Australians reported feeling regret for becoming intoxicated.

Not Russia? Who would have guessed? The Great Boo is up.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

2 hours ago, rjshae said:

Australia is the drunkest country in the world, survey finds

Not Russia? Who would have guessed? The Great Boo is up.

Which means, three-quarter of Australians reported feeling NO regret for becoming intoxicated :sorcerer:

Edit: With a government like ours and shark infested water all around us, there are few escape methods.

• Haha 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

23 hours ago, ShadySands said:

<video>

Sort of brought back memories of both Talking Heads and B52's, can't quite decide which one it's most reminiscent of (style) 🤔

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

FF7KMraXIAgfW7A?format=png&name=small

To an extent:

Jewish-German refugee genius and movie star Hedy Lamarr was a self-taught science genius who invented and patented the frequency-hopping spread spectrum technology for missile guidance in WW2 that became the foundation of all of our wifi technology today. Happy women's history month...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

For the good vibes... (and yes, it's a composite)

FFzjM5GWYAUoDLK?format=jpg&name=900x900

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

It's a good thing they helped Rex out when he got cold, he'd never got the sweater over his head with those arms...!

• Haha 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I learned something new today. I've always heard of the "paper bag test". I thought it meant the girl was so unattractive you had to put a paper bag over her face to "do the deed". The actual meaning it turns out is uglier, meaner, and pretty racist. And suddenly it's not funny anymore. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

Well...now Im not going to Google that but I suppose you can pivot to "butterface". :lol:

I did, since I don't like teases like that, and just in case anyone else has scruples googling, here's the wikipedia entry, or part of it anyway.

The Brown Paper Bag Test is a term in African-American oral history to describe a colorist discriminatory practice within the African-American community in the 20th century, in which an individual's skin tone is compared to the color of a brown paper bag. This test can be traced back to the time of slavery where slave masters kept the lighter-skinned slaves inside. The test was allegedly used to determine what privileges an individual could have; only those with a skin color that matched or was lighter than a brown paper bag were allowed admission or membership privileges.

Wikipedia also helpfully says the factuality of this article is in question. Hence the allegedly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

My Russian is limited to cursewords, but I do have to say he nails pronouncing "Gotland"

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

On 12/8/2021 at 11:28 AM, Azdeus said:

My Russian is limited to cursewords, but I do have to say he nails pronouncing "Gotland"

I wonder what the little sign up in the right corner means... no Vodka or Balalaikas allowed on the premises?

• Hmmm 1

3 hours ago, Gorth said:

I wonder what the little sign up in the right corner means... no Vodka or Balalaikas allowed on the premises?

No gopniks?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Australia really is a land of contrasts at times...

West Australia today:

From Drought to Fire – The &#39;Knock On&#39; Effect of Major Environmental Events  - Agri Labour Australia

East Australia at the same time:

Australia floods: Western Sydney &#39;greatest concern&#39; as more rain falls -  BBC News

• Sad 1

The Catholic Church... so removed from reality, always living in a state of denial!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59626108

Italian church apologises after bishop tells children 'Santa does not exist'

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-59644494

Tl;dr; if **** hits the fan climate wise, lots of people are going to get wet feet

Scientists are warning of dramatic changes at one of the biggest glaciers in Antarctica, potentially within the next five to 10 years.

They say a floating section at the front of Thwaites Glacier that until now has been relatively stable could "shatter like a car windscreen".

US and UK researchers are currently engaged in an intense study programme at Thwaites because of its melt rate.

Already it is dumping 50 billion tonnes of ice into the ocean each year.

This is having limited impact on global sea-levels today, but there is sufficient ice held upstream in the glacier's drainage basin to raise the height of the oceans by 65cm - were it all to melt.

I.e. if it breaks off and drifts north towards warmer waters, you don't need to waste money on post apocalyptic movies in the cinema :)

• Thanks 1