The TV and Streaming Thread: Series 5

Amentep

I do love me some Ancient Aliens. I find the show highly entertaining, and while I find their arguments interesting and I like to keep an open mind, I don't consider their evidence particularly conclusive.

I do agree with the show that the mainstream view on the dawn of civilization is wrong. My personal view is that civilization started MUCH earlier than we've generally been taught and that ancient man was a lot smarter than we generally give them credit for. I'm not convinced that these megalithic structures were built by and/or with the help of aliens, what I do believe is that the people that built them were a lot more advanced than we generally believe.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

And early man would've had plenty of reason and incentive to build these crazy things, because if I were living thousands of years ago I swear I would have gone mad with boredom. I mean, no computers to play videogames?! Seriously?! Well, at least give me a pyramid to build with my spare time!

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

I mean, no computers to play videogames?! Seriously?!

Avoiding wolves, tigers, scorpions, and snakes was the video games of the Neolithic Age. :shifty:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

13 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Avoiding wolves, tigers, scorpions, and snakes was the video games of the Neolithic Age. :shifty:

Artist interpretation of what Neolithic life was like:

Pitfall-Tout_A.thumb.jpg.a9a582011140833ee46caea1d69b9c87.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

On 8/11/2021 at 3:20 PM, kanisatha said:

And early man would've had plenty of reason and incentive to build these crazy things, because if I were living thousands of years ago I swear I would have gone mad with boredom. I mean, no computers to play videogames?! Seriously?! Well, at least give me a pyramid to build with my spare time!

Kanie how did ancient man play RPG....no one thinks to ask this question 💫

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Im watching several entertaining shows like Chicago PD, Med and Fire. The new Law & Order Organised Crime and a few others like Helstrom 

I am also watching again the entire True Blood series, one of the greatest shows of all time in the fantasy and supernatural genre 🧛‍♂️

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

^ I like that the outfits look very utilitarian. It's not all shimmering robes and leather corsets with so much ornamentation on the bosom.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

^ I like that the outfits look very utilitarian. It's not all shimmering robes and leather corsets with so much ornamentation on the bosom.

Yes, as it should be. They live in a small town. One is a blacksmith, another a sheepherder and the others don't do anything fancy either.

55 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

Guess at least we may still get some braid tugging.

Hopefully we can still get some sniffs and snorts.

Edit: no Warder cloaks. I guess it would be too expensive and it isn't really necessary.

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg

The White Lotus, miniseries on HBO.  One of those rare shows where I wouldn't change anything about it. Loved the music, loved the self-absorbed shallow characters.

@Wheel of Time pics. Mat's costume is the only one I like, the other ones look like they've never been used. What's with Lan's outfit? Looks like a weird comic-con costume. Sadly getting an MTV series vibe here.

@Foundation trailer. Looks good! I like the cast.

I just watched Rambo 5: Brown People Bad.

First let me say that this movie is much more entertaining than Rambo 4, which had horrible cuts, super bad pacing and was just generally really boring.

Now to Rambo 5... This movie is hilarious. It tries to be serious, but it made me laugh hard in multiple occasions. There is so much dumb **** in it.

The prologue is clearly a homage to Rambo 1, but with a twist to it. So far so good. Then it's all about mexico = bad. Of course the worst things happen right away. And then in the end Rambo is just insta-gibbing (brown) people. His ending dialogue was so cringe, it felt like a completely different movie again.

I have no idea how many he killed, but it was more than they could have realistically fit into the cartel cars. It's also hilarious how the mexicans cross the border. Only thing missing was a red carpet in their tunnel. Now that I'm thinking about it, why are they using a tunnel anyways? Rambo is just driving through a small wire fence to get back into america.

All in all, this whole movie is a jerk-off fantasy for maga doomsday preppers. Especially when considering the release date and the political crap about mexico at the time of its release... it's just hilarious.

• Haha 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

TNG - Tapestry

Picard gets killed and Q gives him a mulligan. Instead of using his years of wisdom to resolve his youngerself's problems, he instead acts like an idiot and his problem solving solutions amount to rejecting anything like his past choices as if he's a two-year old who just learned the word 'no'. His Q-reward is to become Lt. Barclay.

This episide is only entertaining because of Q-Picard. Otherwise it's mega-dumb, with Picard acting clueless, the Enterprise crew shown to be condescending jerks and an implication that if your not captain of the ship, you're a loser. If it wasn't for the fact that we can dismiss the alternate timeline Enterprise stuff as a Q-creation (Qreation?) It'd be more annoying than it is.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 hour ago, Lexx said:

I just watched Rambo 5: Brown People Bad.

First let me say that this movie is much more entertaining than Rambo 4, which had horrible cuts, super bad pacing and was just generally really boring.

Now to Rambo 5... This movie is hilarious. It tries to be serious, but it made me laugh hard in multiple occasions. There is so much dumb **** in it.

The prologue is clearly a homage to Rambo 1, but with a twist to it. So far so good. Then it's all about mexico = bad. Of course the worst things happen right away. And then in the end Rambo is just insta-gibbing (brown) people. His ending dialogue was so cringe, it felt like a completely different movie again.

I have no idea how many he killed, but it was more than they could have realistically fit into the cartel cars. It's also hilarious how the mexicans cross the border. Only thing missing was a red carpet in their tunnel. Now that I'm thinking about it, why are they using a tunnel anyways? Rambo is just driving through a small wire fence to get back into america.

All in all, this whole movie is a jerk-off fantasy for maga doomsday preppers. Especially when considering the release date and the political crap about mexico at the time of its release... it's just hilarious.

I watched it like a year ago and it really is one of those movies that's so bad it ends up being funny. The premise is pretty much some talk radio fear mongering put into a script, the effects are horrible, and the actors are pretty much asleep. If it wasn't for Sylvester Stallone I would have thought it was some money laundering scheme or some vanity project. Though I guess it could still be that lmao.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Exactly. This is just pure mexicans = evil propaganda in a hilariously bad form. It gets even worse because in order to not look racist, they gave Rambo a mexican girlfriend and daugther (see, not all mexicans are bad! Some are fleeing from the bad people into the land of the free!).

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

6 hours ago, Lexx said:

I don't know what the point of life-action adaptions is. Did anyone ever made an actually good one?

The best motivation I guess is to try and bring a good story and characters to a different audience - one who may never watch an anime series but would watch a live action SF series.  But that's really true of any adaption, whether its from animation, or a book, or a tv series.

The worst is a cynical cash-in to create new widgets with an existing IP so that fans keep buying widgets.

On 8/24/2021 at 4:36 AM, Amentep said:

The best motivation I guess is to try and bring a good story and characters to a different audience - one who may never watch an anime series but would watch a live action SF series.  But that's really true of any adaption, whether its from animation, or a book, or a tv series.

The worst is a cynical cash-in to create new widgets with an existing IP so that fans keep buying widgets.

I suspect you get both. The existing Anime audience is more likely to attend, so you get a helpful bump at the box office that can trigger others to show up through word of mouth.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Heist on Netflix - The series only has three two-part episodes but we really enjoyed them even though such things, crimey things, aren't usually our jam.

Kim's Convenience on Netflix - Finally gave it a try and found it to be pretty funny. Currently on the last episode of the first season.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Reservation Dogs. So far it's been amazing. Yuuge recommendation.

• Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands