Politics XXXV (Life in the Vault is about to change)

Amentep

1 minute ago, HoonDing said:

white privilige

Now now, there's no need for such language. Some of them might self identify as Inuits.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Can't wait to see how loose he is being this time. 

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 hours ago, Skarpen said:

I encourage you guys to watch this documentary about human impact on environment while it's on. There is already quite an incentive to take it off.

In a nutshell:  It is impossible to create an better environmentally sound society as long as we're living in a billionaire capitalist society.

Which has obvious for a very very long time.

I hope a significant portion of Americans finally start to get this, and soon.

No photo description available.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Image may contain: 1 person, possible text that says 'PETER CUSHING Killed Dracula with pair of candlesticks Blew up Alderan Fought Daleks Been to the Earth' core Killed more vampire vampi res than than Buffy Outsmarted Moriarity Verbally itch-slapped Darth Darth Vader Vader and lived beg your pardon but no, Chuck Norris cannot top that'

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Hmmmm looks like I've been posting in the wrong thread. I'll let one of the mods clean that up! Sorry about that!

Thomas Sowell

7 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Hmmmm looks like I've been posting in the wrong thread. I'll let one of the mods clean that up! Sorry about that!

Don't worry, these days there's an overlap between funny and political.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

13 hours ago, Malcador said:

Can't wait to see how loose he is being this time. 

You mean Gibbs or Moore? Because Moore doesn't seem to had much input in this one.

11 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

In a nutshell:  It is impossible to create an better environmentally sound society as long as we're living in a billionaire capitalist society.

Which has obvious for a very very long time.

I hope a significant portion of Americans finally start to get this, and soon.

I have different insights from this movie. For me it's more of don't use medicine that is worse than the disease and don't believe that solution to something bad won't be worse.

8 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

I think it's a big problem in most Western societies if a majority thinks they cannot influence the outcomes of elections.

7 hours ago, Orogun01 said:

Don't worry, these days there's an overlap between funny and political.

What do you mean by "these days"? 🙃

166215__front.jpg

On 5/2/2020 at 3:25 PM, Skarpen said:

I encourage you guys to watch this documentary about human impact on environment while it's on. There is already quite an incentive to take it off.

Except it has little to do with environment and a lot to do with environmental movement.
And as nutty as those people can be, this is just a predictable attack on technological solutions to climate change.
Something you'd find in a badly researched denialist blog. 

• Like 1

critics fear Amash's Libertarian bid may ensure a Trump win

If the election came down to just me. Trump and Biden were in a dead tie and my one vote turned the election I'd still vote for Amash. Why? Because f--k them. That's why. 

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, pmp10 said:

Except it has little to do with environment and a lot to do with environmental movement.
And as nutty as those people can be, this is just a predictable attack on technological solutions to climate change.

Except it's not posted on badly researched denialist blog, it's posted by Michael Moore who isn't denialist as far as I know. And from the look of it this wasn't predictable at all because it is self criticism from people on the same side rather then opposition.

166215__front.jpg

57 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

If the election came down to just me. Trump and Biden were in a dead tie and my one vote turned the election I'd still vote for Amash. Why? Because f--k them. That's why. 

What are his Libertarian positions, I'm still reeling from the self sabotage that are Libertarian elections.

village_idiot.gif

I'm sure all seven "never Trump" republicans will vote for Amash and ensure Trump wins this years farce.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

8 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I don't get the logic here. How is a former Republican turned Libertarian supposed to ensure Trump win? He would have to take votes away from Democrats nominee (it will not be Biden lets not kid ourselves) to do so, yes? How is Dems afraid that their base will vote Republican/Libertarian candidate?

166215__front.jpg

6 hours ago, Skarpen said:

I don't get the logic here. How is a former Republican turned Libertarian supposed to ensure Trump win? He would have to take votes away from Democrats nominee (it will not be Biden lets not kid ourselves) to do so, yes? How is Dems afraid that their base will vote Republican/Libertarian candidate?

Realistically? Probably will not. But it HAS happened. In 2000 George W Bush won Florida, and the Presidency by 512 votes. One state tipped the balance. Ralph Nader running as the Green Candidate got 97k + votes in Florida. The thinking is if just 513 of those voters had chosen Gore history changes. Probably less than most folks want to admit... but it would be a little different. 

In 1992 Ross Perot was believed to have taken votes from George HW Bush enough to have cost him 47 electoral votes. It would not have changed the outcome of the election, but it would have been close. Ditto in 2016 when Gary Johnson won almost 200k votes in Michigan and the state was decided by less than 62k votes. 

Here is the problem with this whole line of thinking. It is presuming the third party candidates are "stealing votes" that rightfully belong to the donkeys or elephants. It's assuming that third party voters are just angry democrats or republicans casting protest votes. It fails to acknowledge that the LP, Green Party, and others might have a message that actually appeals to a growing minority of the electorate. Speaking only for myself the presumption of "protest votes" is entirely untrue. Had Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump been the only names on my ballot in 2016 I still would not have voted for either of them. 

In the minds of the Democrats ( and a good many folks online like @Gromnir & @Bartimaeus ) any voter that is disgusted with Trump's BS is obligated to help defeat him by voting for a slightly less repulsive, slightly less harmful Joe Biden. I reject that notion outright. 

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

Nobody - individual or party - is owed votes. That is dictatorship talk. If you want someone's vote earn it. If Donlad Trump is so horrible it should be easy to get independents/undecided on your side. If you take at face value that all republicans are evil and stupid (which is what Dems actually believe and vice versa) it shouldn't matter. repubs are the minority.

But, hey, keep labeling people deplorables  and other awful names. That'll get them to vote for you.  I dunno about you if someone labels me evil and/opr stupid, how does that encourage me to vote for them? LMAO I would be worried that they would use their new poer to destroy me. 

I know if I had power and there was someone who I thought was pure evil, I surely wouldn't help them. LMAO

BTW, Some of those people in that article don't know the definTion of 'friendship' and 'agree on everything'. LMAO

Semiquote: "We're friends. We're brothers. We agree on everything. But, he's an idiot, selfish, and hates Amerika."

L0L0L0L0L0LLIP0P

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

23 hours ago, pmp10 said:

Why can't big tech and nature synthesize?  And it has nothing to do with "technological solutions to climate change" and everything to do with billionaires unsuccessfully getting their hands on it and botching it.

48 minutes ago, Volourn said:

Nobody - individual or party - is owed votes. That is dictatorship talk. If you want someone's vote earn it. If Donlad Trump is so horrible it should be easy to get independents/undecided on your side. If you take at face value that all republicans are evil and stupid (which is what Dems actually believe and vice versa) it shouldn't matter. repubs are the minority.

That's the goal here, I'm not sure how this is all gonna play it but it's looking like the average diehard Trump supporter and the average diehard Biden supporter are just as bad and are splitting the vote among themselves, whilst the greens come in and rolfstomp them both.

That's of course the best case scenario but at this point there's looking like no alternative to that.

Could get ugly.

9 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

In the minds of the Democrats ( and a good many folks online like @Gromnir & @Bartimaeus ) any voter that is disgusted with Trump's BS is obligated to help defeat him by voting for a slightly less repulsive, slightly less harmful Joe Biden. I reject that notion outright. 

I think this might be the wrong way to look at Gromnir's and I's positions on the matter, though I obviously can only really speak for myself. The argument that I have previously and specifically taken issue with is the overly simplistic equating of the two parties, their leaders, and where they are going right now. It would be so easy, especially as someone who doesn't like either parties or its leader, to do that - but that's intellectually and morally (I feel) lazy to me, which is why I have argued against doing that. Whether or not that leads to somebody else wanting to vote one way or another is a different matter entirely - just the fact that they're not exactly the same does not mean anyone is obligated to vote for them, and I don't think I ever made that argument. As for personally you (or anyone else), it's whatever - at least you engaged with the process (...if I remember correctly anyways, I'm pretty sure you did).

Keep in mind that I come from a younger generation than yourself, and I have grown so incredibly weary of dummies closer to my age group who will not bother with the primaries, then complain that they utterly despise Trump and also don't like Hillary/Biden very much and why should they vote for someone they don't like or feels represents them, as if the older generations are responsible for choosing a candidate that represents those who by and large didn't and don't vote. The primary, to me, is more important than the actual general, but so many - too many - people don't see it that way. I think anybody that votes in the primary pretty much already did their job, and aren't obligated to engage further if a candidate they do not find morally reprehensible didn't emerge - not in this laughably awful first-past-the-post, two-party system anyways. People who didn't bother to vote in the primary and then complain that both choices suck should have their brains violently and gruesomely dashed against the rocks for their crimes of utter cluelessness. Fortunately for them, their shortsightedness and almost certain stupidity is not actually a capital-punishment level crime.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.