Politics XXXV (Life in the Vault is about to change)

Amentep

12 minutes ago, Orogun01 said:

Was it useful? Like do you feel ready to defend your country?
Was it a lot of skying and shooting and learning how to curse in Russian?

It is mostly waiting, then learning to obey orders, then exercise, then practicing team work, then taking care of your equipment, then how to survive in wilderness, then digging trenches, then shooting and combat practices, then communication practices during time when infrastructure is down, then learning to plant mine field and explode things. No cursing in Russia practices - Finnish phrase vittu saatana kuole ryssä perkele jumalauta is seen to be enough 😇.

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

No training in sisu injection to make you into supermen ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

44 minutes ago, Elerond said:

It is mostly waiting, then learning to obey orders, then exercise, then practicing team work, then taking care of your equipment, then how to survive in wilderness, then digging trenches, then shooting and combat practices, then communication practices during time when infrastructure is down, then learning to plant mine field and explode things. No cursing in Russia practices - Finnish phrase vittu saatana kuole ryssä perkele jumalauta is seen to be enough 😇.

Elerond !!!!  Im shocked, disappointed and surprised ....I would never have thought of you as someone who uses bad language ....like cursing :ermm:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, Elerond said:

Blame the government 😋

And it is not cursing it is just https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aggressive_mood  😃

What an interesting link, I really learn new things on these forums 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I thought this was fixed 😕

Well... it's more a usability or user configuration issue than something to fix per se. The clipboard can store more than just text, and the new forum software accepts those extra data types to save you the "hassle" of having to do things like pasting links in two steps. You can even ctrl+v images directly too. The problem is that it's also pasting CSS tags which I think is something normal forum users do not want 99% of the time.

To avoid that just "paste as plain text" instead of ctrl+v'ing. I'm not sure how that works from a mobile device, though.

• Thanks 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

2 minutes ago, 213374U said:

To avoid that just "paste as plain text" instead of ctrl+v'ing. I'm not sure how that works from a mobile device, though.

On my phone I just hit backspace/delete and it does it when I delete far enough to go up to any text above it. I don't have that issue on my computer anymore. Or did I never? Man, my CRS is acting up.

Free games updated 3/4/21

18 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

See? See? Sometimes I think we LOST that war!

I believe it was the.. Whiskey Rebellion if you wanted to track down the details. ;)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

19 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

On my phone I just hit backspace/delete and it does it when I delete far enough to go up to any text above it. I don't have that issue on my computer anymore. Or did I never? Man, my CRS is acting up.

Yeah, that's because you are deleting the "hidden" opening CSS tag that is changing the formatting of your post, as if you were deleting an old bbcode tag. The forum software automatically adds any missing closing tags, including bbcode tags.

It may not happen on your desktop because the way each browser handles the copy to clipboard function is slightly different. For me, IE doesn't store style tags, but Opera does. YMMV.

Edited by 213374U
lol tags
  • Thanks 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

5 hours ago, Elerond said:

That is national secret which one should not speak about 😉

Jävlar anamma is better though.  :p

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

4 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

The problem with voting for a bad option instead of a worse one is that the only thing the people putting up the bad option care about is that enough people think the other guy is worse. You end up perpetuating the cycle which sees the two bad options in the first place. It's quite something to say that the options for US voters will be a decrepit dementia addled probable sex offender with multiple political skeletons in his closet- and the other option is Donald Trump. This discussion is probably better suited for the Politics thread rather than here though.

Yes it's the "Longest Play in American History" as a wise man once put it.  "Oh you don't like this corporate imperialist?  Well, my corporate imperialism is softer and more gentle"

There's 3rd parties on the ballot, start taking advantage of the remaining limited power voters have and vote differently for a change.

Also, I'm getting the impression that the U.S. government is hiding the actual death toll, which seems strangely low for the confirmed cases but who knows.

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Why does cocaine Mitch want states to declare bankruptcy?

There's gotta be some benefit in it for him or his party, right?

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/04/why-mitch-mcconnell-wants-states-go-bankrupt/610714/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

The problem with voting for a bad option instead of a worse one is that the only thing the people putting up the bad option care about is that enough people think the other guy is worse. You end up perpetuating the cycle which sees the two bad options in the first place. It's quite something to say that the options for US voters will be a decrepit dementia addled probable sex offender with multiple political skeletons in his closet- and the other option is Donald Trump. This discussion is probably better suited for the Politics thread rather than here though.

Yes, people have to treat the primaries seriously, which by and large we do not. I can only do what I can do to convince the people I know to bother with them. Most people are some combination of lazy, too busy (understandably so when a number of states deliberately throw in wrenches to make voting a many hour and soul-crushing experience), disenfranchised, or just plain don't bother with politics or think it's their concern. Combine that with people's lack of education and critical thinking skills, the disaster that is our media (which preys heavily on those type of people, who should know by now that most of our media is little better than entertainment and anyone can say or make up anything at this point, so choose whom you trust very carefully), and money being such a huge part of the process in making a candidate known for people to vote for to begin with, and it's no wonder our candidates pretty consistently suck and keep hitting the same beats over and over.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Yeah well forgive me for not trusting the same people who sold us the Gulf of Tonkin and Weapons of Mass destruction in Iraq on....anything!  They lie about everything.  And when I see U.S. politicians accusing China of covering up statistics and don't see China responding in kind, it only makes sense to question more.

Yes there's evidence that the local Wuhan authorities did initially try to cover up the outbreak but the central government was right there sending in an army of medical staff and soldiers to lock the area down to contain the spread so that's why China's numbers are remarkable especially when you factor in their population density.

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, ComradeMaster said:

Yeah well forgive me for not trusting the same people who sold us the Gulf of Tonkin and Weapons of Mass destruction in Iraq on....anything!  They lie about everything.  And when I see U.S. politicians accusing China of covering up statistics and don't see China responding in kind, it only makes sense to question more.

Yes there's evidence that the local Wuhan authorities did initially try to cover up the outbreak but the central government was right there sending in an army of medical staff and soldiers to lock the area down to contain the spread so that's why China's numbers are remarkable especially when you factor in their population density.

I find this argument incredibly difficult to understand from an intelligent person like yourself who has access to vast amounts of information that is unrestricted 

You seem to be suggesting that you trust the Chinese government over the USA government and the free media in the USA, yet the USA  government doesnt  control  the news story unless it  impacts on state security and laws which is normal in every country. For example no media in the  world can openly report on lets say diplomatic cables marked as " confidential " or openly post secretive military strategies in times of war 

Countries like China 

• Are not Democracies, no one votes so there is no government accountability unless the CCP authorizes it. A Chinese citizen cannot sue the CCP for example 
  • China controls its media and restricts the flow of information. Its always has and always will as they consider this necessary for the greater good of there society
  • China does not have a transparent legal system. Chinese dissidents, who are rare, can easily vanish and the families have no legal recourse to find them

The example of WMD in Iraq constantly gets brought up as an example of "how the USA lied ", yes I acknowledge we were not told correct information but Saddam Hussein did use WMD in the past and Iraq did indeed use to have them so the initial suggestion wasn't completely ludicrous. Saddam used chemical weapons against both the Kurds and Iran

https://www.thoughtco.com/top-crimes-of-saddam-hussein-1779933

https://sites.tufts.edu/wpf/use-of-chemical-weapons-against-iran/

Interestingly enough the worst misinformation we were told about the 2003 invasion  wasnt the WMD for the reasons I mentioned but rather that Saddam Hussein was part of Al-Qaeda, this was complete nonsense as he was a dictator and had no links to Islam extremism and would have been targeted by them in the same way that  Saudi Arabia and later on all ME countries were because no ME country actually supports the twisted ideological interpretation of Islam that Islamic extremists support 

But going back to China, my question is why would you believe what they say about the  true nature of the virus over your own country which has a free and independent media ....even if we accept the USA government has lied in the past this is not the same as the state controlled media of China. Surly you can recognize this, its a huge distinction and really important difference between the 2 countries ?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

5 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Why does cocaine Mitch want states to declare bankruptcy?

There's gotta be some benefit in it for him or his party, right?

This is an egregious suggestion from him and has been heavily criticized, no governor from either party should support this because of what this would mean to the actual control of the state going forward

I hope he retracts this statement and clarifies. Why do you refer to him as "cocaine " Mitch?

John Milton 

https://www.chathamhouse.org/expert/comment/avoiding-virus-induced-cold-war-china

Here is a really fair and balanced article around the future relationship with China, I agree with basically all of it :thumbsup:

John Milton 

3 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

It makes him sound like a better villain, cooler at least.

Not my nickname though

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cocaine-mitch/

What  a nickname and the link to the actual ship made me laugh :lol:

John Milton 

On 4/24/2020 at 4:46 PM, BruceVC said:

I also recognize that Fox News does have legitimate news so this is not a sweeping generalization and we also see theater and questionable news from other channels

Yeah, they are not all lies and alt right bias, sometimes they do get the weather forecast and sports results correct 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein