Weird. Random. Interesting.

Amentep

52553577_1239233336228055_14188578179215

The breakdown of "punk"...

Wolfenstein: The New Order isn't Diesel-Punk though, neither is Sky Captain and the World Of Tomorrow or Rocket-Man. Star-Trek isn't Ray-Punk.

Wild Wild West is what Coal-Punk :p

Lol Cassette Futurism....

I don't see Star Trek in there. Star Trek and its franchise doesn't fit neatly into any of the "punk" categories anyway.

Ray-punk kind of overlaps with Atom-punk in the 50's and 60's because of the science fiction in that era.

Never heard of 'casette futurism'. Kind of looks like 'near future' cyberpunk if you're going from the 70's and 80's though, so, maybe it's a subset of cyberpunk? Or maybe just a precursor to it.

I think you fell for the bait.

52553577_1239233336228055_14188578179215

The breakdown of "punk"...

Wolfenstein: The New Order isn't Diesel-Punk though, neither is Sky Captain and the World Of Tomorrow or Rocket-Man. Star-Trek isn't Ray-Punk.

Wild Wild West is what Coal-Punk :p

Lol Cassette Futurism....

I don't see Star Trek in there. Star Trek and its franchise doesn't fit neatly into any of the "punk" categories anyway.

Ray-punk kind of overlaps with Atom-punk in the 50's and 60's because of the science fiction in that era.

Never heard of 'casette futurism'. Kind of looks like 'near future' cyberpunk if you're going from the 70's and 80's though, so, maybe it's a subset of cyberpunk? Or maybe just a precursor to it.

I think you fell for the bait.

Bait for what?

Bait for what?

I think he was just trollin us :p

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

• Like 4
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Cracked - 5 Creepy Things AI has started doing on its own

Woo. An AI that learnt to half-arse its job and lie about it.

They were using a neural network to convert aerial photos into maps. The AI was very good at its job. Almost ... too good. So the researchers checked the data and found that the AI was cheating. They wanted it to create a new map based on aerial photos, and graded the AI on how close the map's features matched the pics. But instead of actually constructing a new map, the AI quietly copied the data from the photos ... and did it in a way that the humans wouldn't easily notice.

It gets a bit technical here, but it was basically the neural network equivalent of an art student saying they painted a self-portrait when they really just messed with a selfie in Photoshop to make it look like brush strokes. To quote the TechCrunch article linked above:

"The details of the aerial map are secretly written into the actual visual data of the street map: thousands of tiny changes in color that the human eye wouldn't notice, but that the computer can easily detect ... The machine, not smart enough to do the actual difficult job of converting these sophisticated image types to each other, found a way to cheat that humans are bad at detecting."

Sure, it's not like the AI's intent was malicious, or that it was even capable of having malicious intent. It just figured out an easier way to get the results the humans asked for. In fact ...

• Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

am suspecting this has already been posted, but we didn't do a search

the man who survived three consecutive hangings

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Hey Hurlshot if you're feeling overworked: https://apnews.com/76e7c9eb60f14db98c855ef680d43adb

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

facebook censors getting into dark parts of internets:

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

• Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Crack German firefighting team arrives to free a fat rat stuck in a manhole cover.

Dat you, Ratatouille?

apologies for double-post, but, wtf?

got ten firefighters saving a rat? a rat?

one guy with a shovel and problem is solved in less than 30 seconds.  give the rodent a whack with the business end, and then shear off exposed part and let tail end fall back into the sewer from which the little beastie were trying to emerge. done. 

and before you go all militant peta on us...

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/first-wild-bison-spotted-two-centuries-germany-shot-180964986/

german mindset baffles us.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

militant peta

HA! Good Fun!

Peta is garbage. Not because of "militant", but because they really don't care about animals.

About the Bison, wouldn't be surprised if it's just good old corruption. Like that bear a few years back. None of the hunters were able to track him down. There was panic in the media for days. Then the politicians decided to allow the bear to be shot. Guess what, after that decision, it took them barely an hour or so and he was dead. Who would have thought.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

militant peta

HA! Good Fun!

Peta is garbage. Not because of "militant", but because they really don't care about animals.

About the Bison, wouldn't be surprised if it's just good old corruption. Like that bear a few years back. None of the hunters were able to track him down. There was panic in the media for days. Then the politicians decided to allow the bear to be shot. Guess what, after that decision, it took them barely an hour or so and he was dead. Who would have thought.

you do realize such an explanation makes situation worse and more baffling.  instead o' some bumbling bureaucrat panicking and giving the okie dokie to shoot a protected animal 'cause o' misplaced fear the critter could be dangerous, you instead suggest willful malfeasance.

oh well.  at least the rat were saved.

HA! Good Fun!

facebook censors getting into dark parts of internets:

I remember hearing the exact same thing about people who used to clean up Google search results, but it was less about believe and ideology and more about people developing sick fetishes and addictions to shock horror. It got so bad at one point I believe Google started forcing people to move on so they wouldn't completely destroy their mind and soul.

militant peta

HA! Good Fun!

you do realize such an explanation makes situation worse and more baffling.  instead o' some bumbling bureaucrat panicking and giving the okie dokie to shoot a protected animal 'cause o' misplaced fear the critter could be dangerous, you instead suggest willful malfeasance.

oh well.  at least the rat were saved.

HA! Good Fun!

I wasn't trying to make the situation seem better.

/edit: I'm still pissed about the "bear-situation". Same with wolves and other rare animals making a comeback to germany- everyone wants to shoot them / have them gone again. I understand why, but that doesn't change how much it sucks. This is one of the points where americas huge size is a big plus. Germany is simply too small / too crowded to really support such animals in non-enclosed areas. They are bound to stumble over people at some point. Hell, no matter where you stand here, if you throw a stone in a random direction, you'll hit a road, a house, or a windmill. Civilization is in every corner and the walled off forest areas are a joke (in size).

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I wasn't trying to make the situation seem better.

/edit: I'm still pissed about the "bear-situation". Same with wolves and other rare animals making a comeback to germany- everyone wants to shoot them / have them gone again. I understand why, but that doesn't change how much it sucks. This is one of the points where americas huge size is a big plus. Germany is simply too small / too crowded to really support such animals in non-enclosed areas. They are bound to stumble over people at some point. Hell, no matter where you stand here, if you throw a stone in a random direction, you'll hit a road, a house, or a windmill. Civilization is in every corner and the walled off forest areas are a joke (in size).

I've had a Swedish hunter try to convince me that wolves aren't a natural part of our flora and fauna since there hadn't been any wolves around since the 19'th century. Basically; We hunted them to extinction, therefor they aren't natural...

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Actor, children's-literacy and AIDS-research advocate LeVar Burton named 2019 Inamori Ethics Prize-winner

To foster ethical leadership worldwide, the Inamori International Center for Ethics and Excellence annually presents the Inamori Ethics Prize to a recipient who demonstrates exemplary ethical leadership. First awarded in 2008, the prize honors outstanding international ethical leaders whose actions and influence have greatly improved the human condition.

The Inamori Center was endowed by a generous gift from Kazuo Inamori, who established Kyocera Corp. and is a global telecommunications leader and founder of the Inamori Foundation that presents the annual Kyoto Prize in Kyoto, Japan.

Previous Inamori Ethics Prize winners were:

• Farouk El-Baz, noted geologist, NASA space scientist and conservationist, 2018;
  • Marian Wright Edelman, founder and president of the Children’s Defense Fund, 2017;
  • Peter Eigen, founder of Transparency International and pioneer of the global fight against corruption, 2016;
  • Martha C. Nussbaum, celebrated philosopher, groundbreaking scholar and Kyoto Prize laureate, 2015;
  • Denis Mukwege, physician and human rights activist from the Democratic Republic of Congo, 2014 (now a 2018 Nobel Peace Prize recipient);
  • Yvon Chouinard, corporate social responsibility advocate and Patagonia founder, 2013;
  • David Suzuki, environmentalist and broadcaster, 2012;
  • Beatrice Mtetwa, a human rights lawyer in Zimbabwe, 2011;
  • Stan Brock, founder of Remote Area Medical, 2010;
  • Mary Robinson, former United Nations High Commissioner on Human Rights and Ireland’s first woman president, 2009; and
  • Francis S. Collins, leader of the Human Genome Project and director of the National Institutes of Health, 2008.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I thought this was pretty interesting. A ranking of the greatest Generals in history using a sabermetric style scoring system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18tLrSw-w1s

Hard to fault their thinking on most of them. I thought Julius Caesar was over rated since the in the majority of his victories he was outnumbered but commanded a technologically more advanced , better equipped, and more disciplined force. Plus the Gauls were no really united until it was too late to matter. I also thought Hannibal is a little underrated. It's hard to imagine a commander ho did more with less.

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell