Weird. Random. Interesting.

Amentep

Ive reached the point in my life where the government jacking something up "only a little bit" is a win for me.

:lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

kinda missing the point though.  this isn't 'bout the sins o' the forefathers.  is a sin o' your tour guide/groundskeeper, and many others.  teaching kids fake history?

Uh oh, now we have to deconstruct our entire educational system. It is riddled with "history is written by the victor". How mush do we pump in annually to that circus?  

ps if gifted genuine don't care 'bout sins o' the forefathers, then he should be doubly angry 'bout the $40 million in taxpayer money.  one o' the only arguments for maintaining the monuments is so folks do not forget sins o' the past.  if such is a non-factor, then what is the other justification for spending so much taxpayer monies?

Ive reached the point in my life where the government jacking something up "only a little bit" is a win for me.

In this case it has been rewritten by the loser and I also chuckled at the last part too

Free games updated 3/4/21

Uh oh, now we have to deconstruct our entire educational system. It is riddled with "history is written by the victor". How mush do we pump in annually to that circus?  

ps if gifted genuine don't care 'bout sins o' the forefathers, then he should be doubly angry 'bout the $40 million in taxpayer money.  one o' the only arguments for maintaining the monuments is so folks do not forget sins o' the past.  if such is a non-factor, then what is the other justification for spending so much taxpayer monies?

more absurdism? "pluto is no longer a planet," didn't exactly require deconstruction o' the entire educational system.  sheesh. go back far enough and gifted pov has the next generation puzzled by invention o' the wheel and terrified by the implications o' fire generated and maintained by man.

and as for government jacking stuff up, well, am guessing we mistaken took gifted statements at face value.  if sins o' the forefathers is trivial in his estimation, then millions o' dollars per year spent so southerns may feel better 'bout sins o' their forefathers should be aggravating, yes?  

is admitted tough to decipher gifted complaints on this stuff. consistency is elusive. if there is a rosetta stone, we would be appreciative.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The quickest way to make the lost cause go away is to STFU about it. The more it is attacked (even if the attacks are factual and justified) the more it will be defended (even if the defense is nonsensical). The only reason the Civil War has so much significance in today's world compared to other events even more recent is because far too many people want to pull the CSA out of it's grave to advance one political end or another. If we could agree nationally to just leave it lie in a generation we'll hear no more about how it wasn't really about slavery .

Edit: Or we could just have another one. No one talks about WWI you notice. I wouldn't rule it out for lots of reasons 

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

On a totally different note... have you guys ever seen Reese Witherspoons daughter? 

_e8121ac6-87f4-11e7-817c-4caf18ee223c.jp

There is no way that girl isn't a clone!

Thomas Sowell

All we have to do is remove everything about from the history books and kill everyone who has ever heard of it

Too much?

Nah. From now on when someone says "it wasn't about slavery" we all reply with:

not-this-again.jpg

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

Thomas Sowell

I can't see CIvil War talk going away in US. It's was our bloodiest war and when people discuss it then the causes behind it will eventually come up

wouldn't actual want folks to stop talking 'bout it neither. 

wwi is different from wwii not so much 'cause it is forgotten, but cause the basic lessons learned were kinda self-evident and w/o controversy. everybody knows 'bout the domino effect which took place after the assassination o' archduke ferdinand.  not forgotten.  but unless you are a history scholar, what lessons is you learning from the assassination and resulting world-wide conflagration?  spend some time on chemical warfare, but everybody outside of syria and its russian supporters agree chemical weapons is bad. 

and sure, wwii is not particular controversial neither, but fascism and ultra nationalism and genuine genocides (bosnia 1995) is happening now and is real and there is reasonable fear such could happen again if folks ain't careful.  wwii weren't simple the most current world war. wwii is one o' those conflicts even moral relativists shudder a bit when they consider some o' the atrocities people, not monsters, but ordinary human beings, were capable o' doing to each other.  etc.

civil war is not much different for americans than wwii is for the rest o' the world.  is tough to ignore the evils otherwise ordinary and even honorable men were perpetrating 'pon each other... and am not just talking slavery neither.  were a horrible and brutal conflict. the thing is, the obvious lessons from the war hasn't quite sunk in for many in this country.  we bang the drum 'bout wwii 'cause is reasonable fears regarding fascists and nationalists and the possibility o' yet another vw bug generation. is real fears. 

am not worried 'bout another civil war, no matter what a few pundits claim.  even so, we see charlottesville and read articles such as the one we linked.  we see a president trying to institute a muslim ban and having crowds cheer him as he makes such promises.  got some actor alleged willing to stoke national fears 'bout racism to get a bigger paycheck. see such stuff and we cannot help but wonder at how little we has learned since 1865. 

but yeah, if you could get absolute everybody to not say anything 'bout civil war or race for a whole generation, then am suspecting most problems would go away.  (would also need people to not act racist for a generation or two as well 'cause children learn as much by watching as listening, no?) raise a couple generations o' kids who have no idea what racism is, and have their parents and grandparents eventual die w/o passing on their hate? then yeah, am seeing how situation would be better.  'course am not seeing how such is possible if the tour guide/groundskeeper, or the school teacher, or the parent is active wanting to educate kids 'bout slavery with observations like, 

"I want to tell them the honest truth, that slavery was good and bad.” While there were some “hateful slave owners,” she said, “it was good for the people that didn’t know how to take care of themselves, and they needed a job, and you had good slave owners like Jefferson Davis, who took care of his slaves and treated them like family. He loved them."

will refer you to our current board signature.  am knowing gd weren't suggesting state censorship, but am thinking brandeis' words is nevertheless relevant. solution is education, no?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

A couple of interesting things:

1) Holy moley the Arlington National Cemetery has a gigantic annual budget. It is money well spent but perhaps they can ask the tour guide / groundskeeper of the CSA how to significantly save money.

2) Should we burn down Arlington House and then salt the earth below it?

Isn't Arlington something like 600+ acres and Beauvoir 50?  I'd imagine just cutting the lawn is 12 times as expensive... :p

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

A couple of interesting things:

1) Holy moley the Arlington National Cemetery has a gigantic annual budget. It is money well spent but perhaps they can ask the tour guide / groundskeeper of the CSA how to significantly save money.

2) Should we burn down Arlington House and then salt the earth below it?

relevance?  

as a matter o' fact, the very existence o' arlington is a refutation o' gifted pov.  where is arlington national cemetery... and don't say arlington.  robert e' lee's home.  arlington were established on the grounds o' robert e. lee's home in part to guarantee it would never be turned into a memorial for the aggrandizement o' the confederacy. in recent years, some o' the original harsh legislation regarding lee has been amended and the former home o' lee were furnished and renamed as a memorial site.  even so, the arlington site specific recognizes the need to prevent glorification o' the confederacy and lee. honor the dead who has fought in wars without tour guides telling you fibs 'bout the honorable soldiers who successful fought to prevent the spread o' communism in southeast asia.  no claims the men who fought in iraq saved the western world from a wmd attack by the madman, saddam hussein.  

we do highly recommend a visit to arlington.  is a somber experience. is 'bout humility and respect. is a reason Gromnir has pointed out on these boards how we is supporting any number o' civil war battlefield site memorials (north and south) as they is powerful reminders o' the tragic loss o' life american exercised 'pon fellow americans... and anybody who cannot see difference 'tween such and 40' tall monuments to nathan bedford forrest, the first grand wizard o' the kkk, monuments built during the civil rights era many years after the civil war, is not being honest. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps thanks for bringing up arlington.  we shoulda' mentioned arlington earlier as a contrast example, but didn't think to do so until you raised the spectre, so-to-speak.  

Edited by Gromnir

Isn't Arlington something like 600+ acres and Beauvoir 50?  I'd imagine just cutting the lawn is 12 times as expensive?

In the last decade alone, American taxpayers have spent at least $40 million on Confederate monuments and groups that perpetuate racist ideology.

Ah, I assumed that was for all confederate stuff. Is that not the case? If yes, I want these people immediately hired to our Treasury. :p

$40M is for all the confederate stuff as I understand it from that article over ten years, but again the vast majority of the 700 monuments covered by the $40M are going to be obelisks and statues and not grand estates, cemeteries, etc.  There are also - I'm assuming here - still organizations like the United Daughters of the Confederacy that are donating to the upkeep of some of these places as well.

Also wasn't there a big mismanagement deal about ten years ago at Arlington that's led to them having to spend more to repair things that shouldn't have been allowed to fall into disrepair?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

On a totally different note... have you guys ever seen Reese Witherspoons daughter? 

_e8121ac6-87f4-11e7-817c-4caf18ee223c.jp

There is no way that girl isn't a clone!

I would bet her future husband once had a thing for her mom. Probably still does.

For some reason I read that as her once and future husband

Is it sad that a certain scene from End of Days just came to mind? I need help

don't feel bad. the term "once and future" made us immediate think o' t.h. white book.

Once_future_king_cover.jpg

near fifty and am clear still stuck in nerd mode.

HA! Good Fun!

Woman dies after 5 hours of drugs and sex: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/columbian-woman-32-dies-after-14164649

Well.... if you gotta go...

Thomas Sowell

You think you're a nerd, but seeing that book immediately makes me think of Magneto reading it in his plastic prison in X-men 2.

we're simpatico?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1