Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Baldur's Gate 3?

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5516 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

@kanisatha: The late 1980s were still great times for tabletop D&D. I still have those 2nd Ed AD&D Monster Compendium ring binders that came out then, those with loose leaf pages where you could add your own homebrew monsters to them, using the empty pages.

• kanisatha and InsaneCommander like this

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1467 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I am not sure I would enjoy BG3, I much more prefer lower level campaigns that godlike levels, If you BG would continue we would be fighting like other gods or what?

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3740 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
Baldur's (God)gate of War :D
  • bringingyouthefuture and bigbazoopa like this

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1993 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I am not sure I would enjoy BG3, I much more prefer lower level campaigns that godlike levels, If you BG would continue we would be fighting like other gods or what?

I would be really surprised if they continued the story from a 20 year old game. There is an entire new generation of players now and they will want to appeal to them.

• kanisatha likes this

bigbazoopa

bigbazoopa

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 80 posts
Any word if it will be turned base or rtwp?

Also if cdpr are doing it it will probably have an enormous budget so that is promising

bigbazoopa

bigbazoopa

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 80 posts

Just look at what happened with Sword Coast Legends. WotC backed that thing as well:
A cool little team made a decent little D&D story, but for some bisarre reason, WotC had them simplify the rules and make a mess of it, CRPG-wise.
And on top of that, they made a DM mode and a toolkit that was extremely limited and lackluster.

And before that, WotC had 4th Ed Daggerdale made, an atrocity!

Our only hope is that WotC has sacked all those advisors and replaced it with true PnP D&D fans, intent on linking the pretty great 5th Ed with the legendary games of the past.

Yeah this.

After the abominations of sword coast legends and neverwinter one would expect bg3 to not be up to bg2 standard

To be honest the more I think about it wizards of the coast just aren’t that good at publishing video games anymore.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5180 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I guess we can hope WotC/Hasbro decides to not armchair quarterback their pick for a developer for BG3 (assuming its real, I took the reported tweet as a joke when I first read it).

• kanisatha likes this

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1993 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Yeah this.

After the abominations of sword coast legends and neverwinter one would expect bg3 to not be up to bg2 standard

To be honest the more I think about it wizards of the coast just aren’t that good at publishing video games anymore.

Well, some people don't consider the EE BG enough, so imagine if they update graphics, UI, etc...

Manveru123

Manveru123

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 775 posts

To be fair, Sword Coast Legends was not only bad because the system was too simplified, everything in this game was Average at best. Like story or companions (I don't remember a single name..).

KDubya

KDubya

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1543 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

Well they could have it be a direct continuation of Throne of Bhaal, here's one way:

1. After you assumed the mantle of godhood, another god comes along and takes your soul and you die. This new god also threatens the remaining godsThis would be in the opening credits.
  2. Next you are in the realm of the dead and you get offered a chance to regain your soul by helping the remaining  gods
  3. You then start character creation based upon your memories of your past life.
  4. You start the game at level one and proceed to regain your soul and godhood while chasing the bad god across the world.

Woops sorry this is the plot for DeadFire :)

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

• Members
  • 5516 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'd say one thing in SCL was above average, though: Inon Zur's music. I just listened to a few of the tunes the other day, and he pretty much nailed it with City of Sails, for instance.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot, 08 October 2018 - 06:02 AM.

• the_dog_days likes this

Manveru123

Manveru123

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 775 posts

That sort of music makes me sleepy. Even if it is pretty.

bigbazoopa

bigbazoopa

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 80 posts

Well they could have it be a direct continuation of Throne of Bhaal, here's one way:

• After you assumed the mantle of godhood, another god comes along and takes your soul and you die. This new god also threatens the remaining godsThis would be in the opening credits.
  • Next you are in the realm of the dead and you get offered a chance to regain your soul by helping the remaining  gods
  • You then start character creation based upon your memories of your past life.
  • You start the game at level one and proceed to regain your soul and godhood while chasing the bad god across the world.
Woops sorry this is the plot for DeadFire :)

Please don’t say this.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5180 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I would be really surprised if they continued the story from a 20 year old game. There is an entire new generation of players now and they will want to appeal to them.

I'm not even sure where they could go with the Bhaalspawn at this point that wouldn't be a narrative railroad ignoring most/all the ends of the game.

• InsaneCommander likes this

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10966 posts
  • Steam:Tale
  • PSN Portable ID:Taleroth
  • Kickstarter Backer
If they are to continue the Bhaalspawn story, I would assume it would be a new protagonist. There were 2nd generation Bhaalspawn in the original trilogy, so that would be a route to go down. With potentially unspecified parentage.

Of course, the whole saga wasn't shy about having a canon, player choice be damned, so I couldn't hold it against any followups if they did the same.

Given the comics, they could bring Minsc back (or what might be an animated statue of him). And include Coran's son and Delina.
  • InsaneCommander and Heathsunderer like this

aksrasjel

aksrasjel

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I guess I should be excited for this... but I'm not. At all. 

No matter how good that game will be, nothing is going to surpass BG 1/2 and my teenage nostalgia bias. 

I don't mind the "indirect sequel" route - that is pretty much a must, beacuse the ending of BG 2 was pretty damn conclusive. You can play an unrelated protagonist that has some vague connection to Bhaal - that is alive and kicking at the moment (I hope - it's 5e after all). Maybe an accidental murderer that Bhaal took vested interest in and decided to "convince" the protagonist to be his more-or-less-willing Chosen? Throw in some political intrigue in Baldur's Gate - maybe a coup or martial struggle, a nostalgia tour to Candlekeep and Beregost, some charismatic, evil overlord, romances, and the stage for the sequel is set. All the elements are in place. I would even do without Minsc or Imoen.

I am mostly concerned about the writing of BG3 though - maybe prematurely. but still....

Who is going to be in charge of the project - Beamdog? Their Siege of Dragonspear didn't actually wow me with regards to their writing chops - quite the opposite, actually. I am usually trying not to critize the writers themselves at personam - beacuse that's an **** thing to do, but I am really glad that Amber Scott with her ideas left the company.

And lastly - let's not beat around the bush - I am not happy how 5e is turning out at the moment. 5E Forgotten Realms lore is a hot, nonsensical mess. Especially after Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, with it's not-really-retconned, inconsiderate lore. I don't even know whether Vhaeraun, Lolth and Corellon from MToF are the same Corellon. Lolth and Vhaearaun I know from established Forgotten Realms lore, or 5e Sword Coast Adventure Guide  - beacuse outside of the name they have nothing in common. 

And they will use 5e for BG3 - it's a given.

It seems that Ed Greenwood - say what you will about the guy, but he deeply cares about "his" Forgotten Realms, had some nice ideas where to go with Toril after the 100 year timeskip somewhere in 2015; with gods withdrawing themselves from mortal affairs via Ao's edict.which made things confusing for a lot of people... like drow for instance, Eilistraee teaming up with Vhaeraun to take out Lolth, Bhaal back from the dead and bringing fear and misery to Baldur's Gate via his Chosen - but nothing came out of that. And now Faerun is in this strange "pick 'n' choose" limbo, where everything but nothing happens, canon at this point doesn't exist and we don't even know what sort of deities are active on Toril at the moment.

So, unless they bring back Papa Greenwood, give him full narrative control over the project and let him tell the story he wants to tell - I'm not interested in BG3. It the slightest.

So, I'm ranting again - but that's my two cents.

Edited by aksrasjel, 08 October 2018 - 10:00 AM.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10966 posts
  • Steam:Tale
  • PSN Portable ID:Taleroth
  • Kickstarter Backer
Okay, I'm just reading that Ed Greenwood helped write a campaign where
Spoiler

So, I guess player defined endings of BG2 have already been replaced.
  • Heathsunderer likes this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3072 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Any word if it will be turned base or rtwp?

Also if cdpr are doing it it will probably have an enormous budget so that is promising

I'm really hoping not. There were so many issues with combat in the BG 1&2.

Also, I really hope it's not related at all to BG 1+2. A smart thing for them to do would be to have an all new storyline and characaters, a smart plan for a BG4, see? Some references and easter eggs to BG 1+2 for older players like myself to get would be fine but it's time to make the game welcoming for the new gen of gamers as well. They deserve it for all the pointless crap we give them just because our IE games were so casual.

No matter how good that game will be, nothing is going to surpass BG 1/2 and my teenage nostalgia bias.

And there it is...

This is the stem of everything wrong with the IE games fanbase/community.

It's this type of mentality that kills the industry and the credibility to creative process for modern games. It's why I'm glad that games like The Witcher 3 are being hailed as the better rpg, and people are excited about Cyberpunk 2077 - to destroy the stagnant nostalgic stunborness that is too cowardly to admit d
Sonething new is better and give credit where it's due.

You're the type of person who won't admit to the faults of BG 1+2 and the fact of the horrible mechanics and the writing that felt like it was written by a kid that didn't finish high school. So take off the nostalgic blinders for a second and lend an ear, heed my words! I know it's harder to enjoy games because as we get older, less things surprise us, we lose our imagination, we're less gullible too but it's time to change the oil daddy-o and use that ole noggin.

Our eyes and ears are old, we don't have the eye hand coordination we use to, I get it but BG1&2 the best? Don't make me laugh. This silly talk will probably get you a few likes by members in the forum though :p

TheisEjsing

TheisEjsing

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 819 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

At this point I hope they'll leave well enough alone. Another DnD game, that borrows Baldurs Gates renown for publicity? Sure. I'd buy and try that. But it seems so unlikely that a continuation would do anything good. As much as I loved the adventures I had with Minsc and Boo when I was a kid, I'd much rather play a new one now. 

• Daled likes this

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

• Members
  • 5516 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm the kind of guy that plays most types of games, old and new, indie and AAA, platformers and CRPGs, FPS and 4X, you name it.

Still, for the love of Selûne, please make BG3:

-As tabletop party-based PnP as possible, this most likely means it will have to be isometric

-Make ridiculously good use of the Forgotten Realms and all of its planes and intricacies, historical stuff and new lore

-Emphasize character development and story, branch and interweave like the Norns. Not just fetch quests, but many gripping and intertwined storylines throughout

-Give us the full complexity of the D&D system chosen, including die rolls, DC checks, and its entertaining randomness. In this case I'd take turnbased before RTwP, but please no RT ARPG. We have other games for that already. If this point and the one before it are done well, we'll get replayability in spades

-Let us explore fleshed out maps, outdoors and indoors, complex settings and dungeons, plenty of secrets and a few throwback easter eggs. Discovery should be central

-No unnecessary handholding and quest exclamation marks hovering above NPCs (That works well in other games). Let us fail in several ways, although not frustratingly so, more of the kind "Aha, I'll get this solved next time!"

-Make it at least big enough, but it doesn't have to be so-called open world. I'd prefer well-written chapters with heaps of choices and paths

Edited by IndiraLightfoot, 08 October 2018 - 09:45 AM.

• aksrasjel, TheisEjsing, kanisatha and 3 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users