Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nvidia RTX Series

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Azdeus

Azdeus

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 705 posts
  • Location:Sweden. The ass-end of nowhere, on the right hand side.

https://www.hardocp....r_distribution/

It would seem that nVidia is continuing their trend of shady practices by forcing reviewers to only write the things that suit nVidia.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6448 posts
After a week delay

c33765e4-8c48-460a-8b9fm8.jpeg

1a0eacef-9a66-4b17-91lda8.jpeg
  • Gorgon, kirottu and BruceVC like this

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4624 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

You absolute madman.

• Bokishi and Azdeus like this

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4749 posts

No, genius. That's sponsored.

• Bokishi likes this

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4624 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

No, genius. That's sponsored.

Those absolute madmen.

• Gorgon, Bokishi, Azdeus and 1 other like this

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6448 posts
This card really heats up my case! Would like to WC it in the near future. For some benchies, I’m getting 60fps avg in Kingdom Come, ultra settings. 200fps in Fortnite. 800-1000fps in FEAR 1.

Hulk'O'Saurus

Hulk'O'Saurus

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 688 posts
  • Steam:Yaz Mataz

Wait... dude.

On what resolution are you getting 60 fps in Kingdom Come?

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7465 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock

Wait... dude.

Probably 800x600 :lol:
  • Bokishi, ShadySands and Azdeus like this

Hulk'O'Saurus

Hulk'O'Saurus

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 688 posts

Damn... 

x).

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6448 posts

Wait... dude.

3840x1080

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6531 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

That video card is almost as long as your monitor.

Edit: Also I just saw the video in post your specs with all the fancy lights. What is it that allows the lights to reflect what's happening in game?

• Bokishi likes this

Hulk'O'Saurus

Hulk'O'Saurus

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 688 posts

Wait... dude.

3840x1080

Gotcha, gotcha. 

I just found it a bit odd that you said average of 60 fps for that title, even if it is a large resolution... is that with all the new RTX(that real time light tracking...) things? 

Azdeus

Azdeus

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 705 posts

Gotcha, gotcha. 

I just found it a bit odd that you said average of 60 fps for that title, even if it is a large resolution... is that with all the new RTX(that real time light tracking...) things?

They haven't released any games with RTX or DLSS yet.

Hulk'O'Saurus

Hulk'O'Saurus

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 688 posts

What do I know… I'm rather illiterate on the matter. To me it seems they're trying to reinvent the wheel without fixing what needs fixing now, to be honest. 

For example, I'm pulling 200 fps with DOOM but under Vulkan and with 70 centigrade on the gpus. I find it funny that an AMD-developed gizmo ends up working better on their stuff :D. 

Azdeus

Azdeus

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 705 posts
It's a great idea, just a couple of years to soon. I don't think that people would go back in graphics quality or go for less than 60fps.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6448 posts

That video card is almost as long as your monitor.

Edit: Also I just saw the video in post your specs with all the fancy lights. What is it that allows the lights to reflect what's happening in game?

Yeah it’s too big, will not fit in my ITX box. The lighting uses Corsair iCue software

Wait... dude.

3840x1080

Gotcha, gotcha.

Not using RTX features, just a boost in rasterization rendering I can sustain 60fps+ in most areas. I still get occasional dips to 40fps in unoptimized areas like populated holds though, but it’s better than dips into the 20s like on the old 1080ti.

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7465 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock

The RTX 2080 Ti is really the only RTX card that it makes any sense at all to purchase right now.  The reason for this is twofold.

1. It's the only card available that can power the new RTX technology at anything even remotely approaching acceptable performance.  In the few demos shown, a rig powered by a 2080 Ti struggles to even come close to maintaining 60 FPS, and that's at 1080p.  You can forget about 1440p or 4K or beyond.  Even assuming that once games actually come out using the new technology (there are still none on the market right now) developers have been able to optimize and get better performance, the 2080 Ti will still almost certainly be the only single card available capable of utilizing the technology and getting 60 FPS at 1080p.  For anything above 1080p you will need multiple 2080 Tis in SLI.  Outside of Bokishi, how many gamers can both afford to spend that much on a rig and are willing to pay it?  I'm pretty sure it's well below 1% of PC gamers out there.  As for DLSS, we have nothing concrete to go on at this point.
  2. Realistically, the deciding factor is still traditional rasterization performance.  RTX is exciting technology but nothing more than a proof of concept for 99.9% of gamers out there right now and likely for at least one more generation of GPUs to come, probably more.  The RTX 2080 Ti is the performance king right now.  It comes with an insane price markup, but if you want maximum performance, that's the card to buy.  The RTX 2080 gives you basically the performance of the GTX 1080 Ti, maybe 5% better performance, but at a significant markup in price.  The 1080 Ti is just a straight up better purchase.  Likewise the 2070 gives you basically the performance of a 1080 but at a significant markup.  Both of these cards make no sense from a price/performance ratio standpoint and neither one is powerful enough to realistically use the new RTX feature once games come out that implement it.  

To summarize, only the RTX 2080 Ti is powerful enough to realistically utilize the new technology and it's the only RTX card that gives you traditional rasterization performance that you cannot get with a GTX 1xxx series card at a lower price.  It's the only RTX card that makes any sense to purchase and only if money is no object to you.

Edited by Keyrock, 17 October 2018 - 07:58 AM.

• BruceVC likes this

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4358 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

The RTX 2080 Ti is really the only RTX card that it makes any sense at all to purchase right now.  The reason for this is twofold.

1. It's the only card available that can power the new RTX technology at anything even remotely approaching acceptable performance.  In the few demos shown, a rig powered by a 2080 Ti struggles to even come close to maintaining 60 FPS, and that's at 1080p.  You can forget about 1440p or 4K or beyond.  Even assuming that once games actually come out using the new technology (there are still none on the market right now) developers have been able to optimize and get better performance, the 2080 Ti will still almost certainly be the only single card available capable of utilizing the technology and getting 60 FPS at 1080p.  For anything above 1080p you will need multiple 2080 Tis in SLI.  Outside of Bokishi, how many gamers can both afford to spend that much on a rig and are willing to pay it?  I'm pretty sure it's well below 1% of PC gamers out there.  As for DLSS, we have nothing concrete to go on at this point.
  2. Realistically, the deciding factor is still traditional rasterization performance.  RTX is exciting technology but nothing more than a proof of concept for 99.9% of gamers out there right now and likely for at least one more generation of GPUs to come, probably more.  The RTX 2080 Ti is the performance king right now.  It comes with an insane price markup, but if you want maximum performance, that's the card to buy.  The RTX 2080 gives you basically the performance of the GTX 1080 Ti, maybe 5% better performance, but at a significant markup in price.  The 1080 Ti is just a straight up better purchase.  Likewise the 2070 gives you basically the performance of a 1080 but at a significant markup.  Both of these cards make no sense from a price/performance ratio standpoint and neither one is powerful enough to realistically use the new RTX feature once games come out that implement it.  

To summarize, only the RTX 2080 Ti is powerful enough to realistically utilize the new technology and it's the only RTX card that gives you traditional rasterization performance that you cannot get with a GTX 1xxx series card at a lower price.  It's the only RTX card that makes any sense to purchase and only if money is no object to you.

Im loving mine, I have never had such a quick rig as this, I cant wait till I start gaming 

• ShadySands likes this

Azdeus

Azdeus

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 705 posts

Please do report back when you get to try RTX :p

• BruceVC likes this

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4358 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Please do report back when you get to try RTX :p

I am so frustrated as my ADSL is still down due to a cable problem in the local exchange ....hopefully this will be resolved by COB today 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users