Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nvidia RTX Series

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6426 posts

RTX 2080 Ti me want!

https://www.engadget...orce-rtx-leaks/

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7225 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

They're so damn expensive, though, if the leaks are to be believed.  We've now entered a time where the xx80 Ti costs what a Titan used to cost.  The problem is that in the high-end Nvidia is competing with itself.  AMD has nothing to compete with this card, nor the 2080, and, if reports are to be believed, they won't for several years because their focus is currently on the chip that will power the PS5, so their aim is more at power efficiency than it is raw power.  Because of this Nvidia can charge pretty much whatever they want for their high-end cards.  I mean, those cards have traditionally always been overpriced, as are most high-end products, but this is ridiculous.

Edited by Keyrock, 19 August 2018 - 04:23 PM.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6426 posts

$999!!

https://www.hardocp....ti_cat_out_bag/

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3829 posts

My current video card is coming up on 4 years old now, and it's a model from pretty much 5 years ago (290X). I think that's the longest run with any one video card since the EGA card that was in the old 286 which we owned until 1994.

Edited by Humanoid, 19 August 2018 - 08:34 PM.

Azdeus

Azdeus

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • Location:Sweden. The ass-end of nowhere, on the right hand side.

Might be time to keep an eye out for second hand GTX1080 ti's then.

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1364 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

They're so damn expensive, though, if the leaks are to be believed.  We've now entered a time where the xx80 Ti costs what a Titan used to cost.  The problem is that in the high-end Nvidia is competing with itself.  AMD has nothing to compete with this card, nor the 2080, and, if reports are to be believed, they won't for several years because their focus is currently on the chip that will power the PS5, so their aim is more at power efficiency than it is raw power.  Because of this Nvidia can charge pretty much whatever they want for their high-end cards.  I mean, those cards have traditionally always been overpriced, as are most high-end products, but this is ridiculous.

Raja Kaduri, who was the head of AMD's graphics division, has gone to intel and now intel is saying they will be releasing graphics cards. He had a big fight with Lisa Su (the CEO) because she wanted to focus more on the next gen console hardware and this was why Vega came out sub-par, when his team's design could clearly become a very competitive product to the best nvidia had to offer and even ride on the success of ryzen to get a big share of the market

Keyrock

Keyrock

• Members
  • 7225 posts

Raja Kaduri, who was the head of AMD's graphics division, has gone to intel and now intel is saying they will be releasing graphics cards. He had a big fight with Lisa Su (the CEO) because she wanted to focus more on the next gen console hardware and this was why Vega came out sub-par, when his team's design could clearly become a very competitive product to the best nvidia had to offer and even ride on the success of ryzen to get a big share of the market

In fairness to Lisa Su, AMD, at the time, was strapped for cash and simply couldn't afford to invest heavily into r & d on all fronts, she had to make some compromises somewhere and decided to sacrifice Radeon's high-end in favor of investing in design for Zen and upcoming PS5 chips.  Given AMD's recent financial performance and the success of Zen, the consensus seems to be that she made the right call.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of Intel's graphics division with Raja Kaduri at the helm, but whatever happens it's at least a couple of years away.  Until then, and until at least whatever comes after Navi, we're stuck with Nvidia holding a monopoly in high-end gpus, which sucks.  And I'm not even a Nvidia hater, I just hate a company, any company holding a monopoly over any segment of the market, because it's inherently bad for consumers.

Edit:  Anyway, my original plan was to build a new desktop rig in about a year or so targeting 4K, but that plan got scrapped when I changed career paths and became a trucker.  No point in investing in a beefy desktop rig if I'm only going to get to use it a few days a year.  Instead, I'm looking to buy a fairly powerful gaming laptop in the next few months.  The plan is to get a laptop with a 17" screen that can max out pretty much any game out now and coming down the pipeline in the next couple years at 1080p.  4K or even 1440p seem like overkill for a 17" screen.  At that screen size you get increasingly diminishing returns moving to 1440p, never mind 4K, at a steep increase in price for the hardware necessary to power it.  I'm of the opinion that you need at least a 24" screen to justify 1440p and at least 30" to justify 4K.  With that in mind, I'd be buying a laptop with a GTX 1060 if I had to buy one today, but I'll probably target something with a 2060, since that should future-proof that a bit better.  Hopefully the mid-level cards from Team Green will be less outrageously overpriced than the high-end cards.

Edited by Keyrock, 20 August 2018 - 10:29 AM.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2512 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Guess Jensen was true to his word when saying he thought gpus were massively underpriced. 2080Ti non FE MSRP confirmed more expensive than my entire computer.

nVidia 20 series page, for the carnage information from the horse's mouth.

Keyrock

Keyrock

• Members
  • 7225 posts

$1200?  :yucky:

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6426 posts
Just preordered the monster. Ready to rock out in late-September

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 8991 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

But ... how much of an actual gaming performance boost are we talking about, over the 1080ti (which I skipped, since the 980ti is still absolutely fine for me)? And will it do 60+fps/4k consistently (instead of 30ish) on taxing games with high/max settings and all the nvidiaworks on etc?

I have no issue with the price for something I buy only once every 3-5 years but not much point for my current old system so.

I will build a new rig specifically for 4k gaming performance at some point but I'm still too lazy/still don't care enough. I guess I'm finally too "old" and not geeky enough to become very excited at hardware releases. On top of that, I'd also need a few more games that I really want/like that require or benefit from such upgrades first. I spent enough just because of FFXV-only already.

That all said ... it's nice to know when I do get around to stuff, the performance increase will be so noticeably massive that I may need to chain it to the desk to keep it from launching into outer space.

Keyrock

Keyrock

• Members
  • 7225 posts

Supposedly it's a pretty big jump in performance over the last generation, around 30%, but we won't know for sure until we get solid independent benchmarks.

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1364 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

to be honest they never really gave any concrete numbers but a generic "faster", instead focusing exclusively on ray tracing

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2512 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

They have publicly claimed 'up to 6x more powerful' on their product page; although that could easily be either versus a previous gen running ray tracing via software, or compared to a ddr3 1030 for all we know. I'd suspect AMD claiming Vega64 > 1080Ti based on TFLOPS would be more practically honest than the 6x claim.

Supposedly it's a pretty big jump in performance over the last generation, around 30%, but we won't know for sure until we get solid independent benchmarks.

That certainly seems to be the general consensus, though I'm actually expecting rather less than that. The focus on raytracing and lack of significant die shrink with associated 'free' performance gain- Maxwell/ Pascal was 28 to 16/14, so significant; this one is 16/14 to effectively 14nm+- suggests to me that conventional performance may not be as good as expected.

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1364 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 8991 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Did anyone expect the new top # 'ti' version of an nvidia series to not be expensive? There are always those that want to buy the latest every single time even when they don't really need the boost yet, (like those who bought a 1080ti and now want this new one and feel peeved) but I'd guess sales-wise that's a fairly low percentage. And if you don't care about ray tracing yet ...

Urthor

Urthor

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 214 posts
  • Steam:Urthor
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Real talk nobody actually has any of these GPUs in their fingers to benchmark, the same warning about never preorder *ever* applies just as much to these GPUs

Keyrock

Keyrock

• Members
  • 7225 posts

I'm already looking forward to a whole bunch of games over the next half decade or so where everything is way too shiny and reflective so that the developers can show off ray tracing.

• Azdeus likes this

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4585 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm already looking forward to a whole bunch of games over the next half decade or so where everything is way too shiny and reflective so that the developers can show off ray tracing.

So it's going to be like the good old days with bloom?
  • Azdeus and Keyrock like this

Keyrock

Keyrock

• Members
  • 7225 posts

So it's going to be like the good old days with bloom?

Ah yes, the good ol' games using way too much bloom period.  That was even before the age of unnecessary lens flare.  :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users