Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Politics Thread - Ka-tet of 19

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
826 replies to this topic

smjjames

smjjames

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1076 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The Republicans (and Trump) also reversed a whole bunch of regulation based ones at the start of Trumps term. The regulation EO reversals were the ones that got the most attention, so, I'm not sure what EOs that didn't have to do with regulation they tried to reverse.

"Anyways, 3rd party voters make a better punching bag than the much larger group who don't bother to vote at all."

Probably because it's a quantifiable number that can be more easily outraged against since you can point to actual results than a nebulous amount that didn't take part in the results. Also tribalism.

Edited by smjjames, 08 August 2018 - 10:21 AM.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5806 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm pulling... what now?

I mean that if you choose to ascribe a high representativity value to a series of selected posts from source A (twitter) but refuse to do the same for unfiltered content from source B (obsidz forum), you are being inconsistent. That's all.

Weird, man. Refuse? You are Gromnir and I claim my 5 Durgan Ignots.  :wacko: 

Btw, you can fill an entire nother internet with things I have not commented on.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5261 posts

I'm pulling... what now?

I mean that if you choose to ascribe a high representativity value to a series of selected posts from source A (twitter) but refuse to do the same for unfiltered content from source B (obsidz forum), you are being inconsistent. That's all.

Weird, man. Refuse? You are Gromnir and I claim my 5 Durgan Ignots.  :wacko: 

Btw, you can fill an entire nother internet with things I have not commented on.

Yep. Maybe not refuse as that word assumes a conscious effort on your part. But in any case you are focusing on a given sample to draw broad conclusions about "our broken society", while disregarding other(s), without offering any explanation as to why one medium is relevant but others aren't. Maybe it's just that your experience with social networks reflects your interactions with people IRL so you are naturally inclined to believe that's people in general... if so, you have my sympathies.

Not sure what this tangent about stuff you haven't commented on has to do with anything, either. You're tilting at windmills.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5806 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

But in any case you are focusing on a given sample to draw broad conclusions about "our broken society", while disregarding other(s), without offering any explanation as to why one medium is relevant but others aren't.

Stay with me here...why would I offer "explanations" about every possible medium that humans communicate in? Did you know that I also have not explained why people who are whining in text form occasionally annoys me? I hope that doesn't trigger you too hard but that's the way I roll. :shrugz:

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7583 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Ikr? Its our own fault though, they've been raised to think that they are special and unique. And the sound of their own voice thrills them to no end.

Don't really think this is nothing new, people share opinions on everything all the time - it's just now that instead of being restricted to the pub or the basement of a buddy's house it's now reaching everywhere. Usual complaints by N that N+1 are hopeless.
  • Gfted1 likes this

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7615 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

You don't have to look very hard to find complaints of Obama "ruling" by EOs. Most people I've talked to actually believed he had the most, if not in all US history then in recent history. Very few actually knew of the specific orders that they hated him for but it was usually the immigration or Fed minimum wage ones. Of course this probably says more about me and the folks that I know more than society as a whole.

As to the Green votes in the Ohio special election, last I checked there weren't enough to change the lead but rather enough to trigger an automatic recount. I got a lot of heat last election for voting Green too even though my state went to Clinton but just like GD I don't think I would have changed my mind if my vote would have been the deciding factor. Wasn't that a Kevin Costner movie? Anyways, 3rd party voters make a better punching bag than the much larger group who don't bother to vote at all.

Man, I updated my phone to the new Android P yesterday and my mobile posting has become exactly 37% worse

it isn't difficult for Gromnir to add to the list o' Obama executive orders which offend beyond immigration and minimum wage, but such stuff is in our wheelhouse as it were.  expansion o' domestic surveillance by means o' order were a particular troublesome example, but is hardly solitary.   can laundry list stuff if need be.  *shrug* in any event, am thinking it is a common mistake to get over invested in the executive orders while ignoring regulations and, to a lesser degree, memorandum and proclamations.   am gonna suggest Obama did more to intrude on legislative domain than any executive since LBJ, and he were bold and unapologetic 'bout it.  his pen and a phone comments were deserved criticized. 

https://www.washingt...ecutive-action/

whether you like universal health care, increased minimum wages, changes to immigration, net neutrality along with some o' the more sinister stuff Obama tired to slip past Congress (and were often failing to do so-- no other recent President, regardless o' party affiliation, has had such a dismal record when facing SCOTUS review) the chief executive's role is not to legislate... and were not just executive orders which Obama were using to transform the Presidency. 

when Schumer and Pelosi were cheering on Obama as he found ways to marginalize obstructionist (*snort*) republicans, Mitch McConnell (and Gromnir) were warning o' the eventual day o' reckoning.  took little imagination to foresee what would happen when a republican President were sitting in the oval office and had access to a pen and a phone.  

thank goodness for the relative impotence o' the current chief executive and the common sense o' a few republicans.  more than once during the recent Prez elections we opined how trump would have much difficulty advancing his policy agenda.  much stuff promised by trump, such as a muslim ban, were patent Unconstitutional, and most other stuff were requiring legislative action.  seeing as how trump were not a consensus builder, we predicted a certain 'mount o' Presidential impotence... and thank goodness we were right.  a more skilled chief executive with advantages o' a majority in both houses woulda' been punishing democrats for the excesses o' Obama. is also a relief republican leadership has chosen to put a stop to some o' the madness o' the previous administration.  trump failure to overcome filibuster has not been met by Congressional effort to change rules such as happened when Obama appointees were being routine held-up.  

regardless, numbers of executive orders is extreme misleading even if many conservatives reflexive complain 'bout numbers.  too many conservatives nowadays is only capable o' parroting what they see on fox news or read in a trump tweet... and we all know just how accurate such sources is.  

https://www.washingt...m=.7408a268d4c7

two quick asides: 

1) Obama, a Con Law prof complaints o' gridlock bothered us a bit

https://forums.obsid...f-19/?p=2076988

he knew better.

2) Obama didn't wake up on the first day o' his Presidency and single-handed transform the office 'cause Congressional indolence in recent decades made it increasing necessary for chief executives to do what Congress were failing to do.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Guard Dog and Bartimaeus like this

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5141 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer