Politics Thread - Ka-tet of 19

Blarghagh

James do you know what a tar baby is? Just asking.  :lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I think you know which one I'm driving at here. Sometimes the harder you swing the more entangled you become. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Huh, I've never heard of that particular term before. Apparently originates from an old children's story.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

That's the one

Thomas Sowell

Alex Jones and his channel InfoWars was banned by YouTube, Facebook, Apple and Spotify on the same day.

This is just outrageous attempt to make Jones an unperson ("1984" reference) and a litmus paper of checking how far those companies can go in censoring views they don't like. 

After shadowbanning conservatives on Twitter, which Congress will address it's just another attempt to eradicate conservatives from public debate.

What are your thoughts?

First Amendment Experts Warn Facebook Banning InfoWars Could Set Completely Reasonable Precedent For Free Speech

Acknowledging the widespread repercussions from the act of corporate censorship, first amendment experts warned Monday that Facebook’s decision to ban InfoWars could set a completely reasonable precedent for free speech. “If we allow giant media platforms to single out individual users for harassing the families of murdered kindergarteners, it could lead to a nightmare scenario of measured and well-thought-out public discourse,” said Georgetown law professor Charles F. Abernathy, cautioning that it was sometimes very easy for private organizations to draw a line between constitutionally protected free speech and the slanderous ravings of a bloated lunatic hawking snake oil supplements. “What we see here really could be the beginning of a slippery slope towards a horrific ordeal in which any citizen who violates hate speech policies or blatantly spreads lies that cause other individuals to receive death threats will immediately be discredited and, perhaps, even asked to host their demonstrably false content on a website that they actually own.” 

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid
  • Like 3

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

"I don't recall anything saying that it wasn't the first time the two had visited that bakery for things other than a wedding cake, so, you're going to have to back that statement up."

Do your own research. researchers are paid good money. I don't work for free. The articles are not hard to find.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

I think that's slightly less than the number of Republicans that would've supported Trump suspending elections about a year ago in a poll I read, so, um, yay I guess?

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

This is extra funny with Sharpie whining about "censorship with extra steps" barely two posts above  :lol:

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Private companies deleting accounts is something to be afraid of and is a major flaw of having communication channels in private hands.

https://static.theintercept.com/amp/facebook-says-it-is-deleting-accounts-at-the-direction-of-the-u-s-and-israeli-governments.html

Oh **** that was over half a year ago and being done at the behest of a government. Nevermind, not as important as some water filter and supplement salesmen getting banned for harassing families.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

When I saw that earlier, I thought to myself "They really should ask themselves whether they'd want a Democrat president to have that power" because I'd imagine most would say no.

Absolutely correct. The biggest error the zealots on either side make is to assume any victory is final. There is always going to be another election (hopefully). In 2008 the Democrats crushed all opposition. They had the White House, House or Representatives, and a filibuster proof super majority in the Senate. Media outlets everywhere were gleefully declaring the death of conservative politics in America. In 2010 they lost the house. In 2012 they lost the Senate. In 2016 they lost everything including most of the state offices. At the end of 2016 you could drive from Miami to Spokane Washington and not pass through any district that had a democrat in elected office. Now the Republicans are gloating. But as the Romans used to say, all glory is fleeting. There is an election in November and with all of the retirements of Republican office holders (many in protest of Trump) it is unlikely they will hold both houses oc Congress in January. 

When Obama was in office he was very liberal and heavy handed in his use of executive authority. Far too much. Congress really should have reined him in but chose not to. When he did these things his supporters cheered. They should have been thinking of what that kind of power in the hands of the next President they don't like would look like. What one President can get away with, another can.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

That survey is hardly a sample size of actual Trump supporters. But it's a little worrisome to me that you can find that many out of a thousand random people who are OK with a tyrannical government as long as they like what they are doing.

Thomas Sowell

Reactions to last nights special election in Ohio:

dems-russians-behind-ohio-loss-lulz.jpg

Thomas Sowell

To be fair to Obama, Republicans in Congress forced his hand with severe obstruction, and yeah, I remember them threatening impeachment a few times over the EO's but never followed through. I believe there were some on the Democrat side who may have said that the EO's were being done too much or should have been done through legislation (like DACA for example) but didn't complain much about it or do anything about it because popular Democrat President.

In addition to what you said about another President abusing the EO's (other than the EO reversions early on, Trump hasn't done EO's as heavily as Obama did), they definetly should also have realized that what one President does through EO, another can reverse, which Republicans heavily abused. Especially for stuff that could have been done through legislation.

edit: ow, wall of an image...

edit2: Cases like this close election where the margin is narrower than the number of votes a third party protest vote got really show the need for ranked voting, otherwise you can't know what their second choice was without directly asking those 1K+ people.

Edited by smjjames

To be fair to Obama, Republicans in Congress forced his hand with severe obstruction, and yeah, I remember them threatening impeachment a few times over the EO's but never followed through. I believe there were some on the Democrat side who may have said that the EO's were being done too much or should have been done through legislation (like DACA for example) but didn't complain much about it or do anything about it because popular Democrat President.

In addition to what you said about another President abusing the EO's (other than the EO reversions early on, Trump hasn't done EO's as heavily as Obama did), they definetly should also have realized that what one President does through EO, another can reverse, which Republicans heavily abused. Especially for stuff that could have been done through legislation.

Are you seriously defending the abuse of executive orders because the Republicans in congress were opposing him? They were SUPPOSED to oppose him. Their voters sent them there to do that. You do understand that Congress is a co-equal branch of the government right? With certain responsibilities that are EXCLUSIVELY theirs? Enumerated powers? I'm certain I remember reading that somewhere. Ah, yes Article 1 of the Constitution. It does not become OK for the President to abuse his office because an election went against him. I can't believe you even suggested that was a justification. Congress is against you? Tough, Either deal with them or do better in the next election.

Thomas Sowell

Remember folks, in life, everyone else know better than you about everything. :yes:

Hmm. Sounds like a useful sentiment to remember when you're driving against traffic.

Seriously though, that's Twitter, and the so-called content there is not always representative of "life". I should know, I've on occasion mistakenly believed that it is...

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

They were doing it to the extreme, that was the problem. Although the DACA thing was born more out of desperation to do something on immigration when Congress repeatedly failed to get anything done.

That Congress didn't try to do anything much about the excess EOs is Congress's fault, I'm pretty sure that there were some Democrats who thought that some of that should have been done legislatively, but hey, hyperpartianship.

edit: You know, in hindsight, I'm a bit surprised he didn't attempt to do something about guns via EO, not that it neccesarily would have been a good idea.

Edited by smjjames

Twitter is simply a reflection of our broken society. Everybody thinks their opinion is important and that counter opinions should be shouted down instead of discussed. Nobody is ever wrong and rumor is treated as fact and acted upon without vetting. I really cant wait until someone blows an EMP and sends us back to the telegraph age.