Politics Thread - Ka-tet of 19

Blarghagh

We've come a long way from Republicans who swore "Better dead than red"

To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, I didn't leave the Republican Party. It left me. 

historical, the russia/soviet suspicion has been less party affiliation than it might seem.  no doubt before gd time, but Kennedy were not running primarily on a platform o' social reform. Kennedy were the hawk responding to Eisenhower/Nixon dove policies-- were almost the totality o' his platform.  am also doubtful any but the true wackadoodle storm trumpers exhibiting the worst aspects o' dunning-kruger effect (we got one or two regular trump-fan posters who is textbook d-k) has forgotten Russian behaviors.

again, worth viewing

(McMaster starts at 'bout 1:11:05)

the Russian sanction votes by house and senate has been getting passed almost unanimous, so is not as if guys such as Mitch McConnelll and Paul Ryan has forgotten what the Russians is 'bout.

am knowing you were partial kidding, but a picture o' less than gifted trumpers at a rally is hardly indicative o' the republican party as a whole... though am admitting there is increasing cause for concern given the President's seeming unassailable popularity with his base. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"The Cold War is Over."  - Says a popular President seeking reelection and uses that line to crush his opponent in a debate. HINT: It's Donald Trump.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"The Cold War is Over."  - Says a popular President seeking reelection and uses that line to crush his opponent in a debate. HINT: It's Donald Trump.

actually

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dj7bIrFWwAELwlw.jpg

Saudi Arabia: funny things or politics thread? The eternal question.

(meh, twimg won't embed. Fake News/ SAD!)

That Canadian plane appearing to aim, I'm certain it was photoshopped in at a tower (at least it isn't NYC, doesn't look like NYC) is a severe case of facepalm, given the almost threatening message of 'don't stick your nose where it doesn't belong' paired with the image....

It's possible it's a misplaced attempt at humor or sarcasm, but still...

I think it may be Toronto

Is it supposed to be a thinly veiled 9/11 threat to Canada?

Seems so. Had originally thought it was some Saudi bros trying to be edgy or something, but who knows. The account is nebulously close to the state.

The @infographic_ksa account has more than 350,000 followers on Twitter and an additional 88,000 on Instagram. A website affiliated with the social media accounts describes it as a “voluntary non-profit project” that is “managed by a group of Saudi youth.”

The accounts, which are followed by a number of Saudi diplomatic figures, are verified and largely share government announcements and pro-Riyadh messages. The Twitter account has been described as “an official government” account in Saudi-owned state media, although the relationship to the Saudi state is not clear.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2018/08/06/amid-spat-with-canada-pro-government-saudi-twitter-account-shares-image-plane-flying-toward-toronto-skyline

KSA sure is pissed off at Canada over this :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I checked the Vox article https://www.vox.com/world/2018/8/6/17656864/saudi-arabia-canada-ambassador-persona-non-grata-samar-badawi and yeah, it appears that someone made a mistake and heads are probably gonna roll.

They tried to explain it away as meant to symbolize the return of the ambassador, but it's a Canadian plane and the whole picture and veiled threat makes it sound hollow to me. Using a pic of a Saudi based airline would have made the Faux Pas even worse though.

Edited by smjjames

We've come a long way from Republicans who swore "Better dead than red"

Is it wrong that my initial thought was that Republicans must be a bunch of nVidia fanbois? :mellow:

Looks like I should take a break from computer hardware for awhile... :ermm:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Not even in office yet and the democrats are looking for way to "regulate" what we see on the internet: https://graphics.axios.com/pdf/PlatformPolicyPaper.pdf

I could have saved Senator Warner's staff 23 pages of typing with one sentence: "Hey everyone, don't believe everything you read on the internet! A lot of it ain't true!"

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

actually

HA! Good Fun!

​Heh, I remember that little pivot of his to Russia. That friendship and progress stuff didn't really end up working out how he probably imagined/hoped it would.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Alex Jones and his channel InfoWars was banned by YouTube, Facebook, Apple and Spotify on the same day.

This is just outrageous attempt to make Jones an unperson ("1984" reference) and a litmus paper of checking how far those companies can go in censoring views they don't like. 

After shadowbanning conservatives on Twitter, which Congress will address it's just another attempt to eradicate conservatives from public debate.

What are your thoughts?

:lol:  Umm no. In 1984 it was the GOVERNMENT that was making people disappear. Huge, huge difference. And they literally disappeared. Alex Jones still has his website, radio show, and other mediums. YouTube, Facebook, Apple, & Spotify are all private entities. They can ban whomever for any reason or no reason at all. We post on this board and I think Obs is glad to have us here. But it's THEIR board. If they wanted me banned for some reason, or no reason, Fio would do it. And if it happened no rights of mine were violated because I was a guest on their space.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Actually Sharpie is far from alone in his thought process. I know a few people who think Howard Roark is the greatest literary hero of the 20th century and can still get mad social media platforms banning people.

Thomas Sowell

Not much of value was lost.

His review of The Last Jedi was pretty funny, watching him go off the rails as you wonder how many rails he did.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

As long as they don't ban the Drumming Pug I'm good.

Thomas Sowell

Nah, he filmed a dead body and...*GASP*...the full weight of internet butthurt was brought upon him, losing his paid channel.

That was Logan Paul, not PewdiePie.

• Like 1

That was Logan Paul, not PewdiePie.

Whoops, my bad.

Easy to confuse, both seem like asshats :lol:

Once again Sharpie, not the same thing. You have a contract with your cell phone provider and cable and internet providers. You are buying a service enforced by a contract. You do this and they do that. Remind me again how much it costs to be on facebook? Or Youtube? Or Twitter? If you get licked off twitter just go to Tumblr. Banned from Facebook? There's always Instagram, Vine, any one of dozens of other services. Or, start your own.

If I had a coulple million bucks I'd invest in a new social media platform that caters entire to one group or another. Imagine a twitter, completely uncensored, for white supremacists? I could sell pop up ads to the New South White Cotton Bed Sheet Co and the Dixiecrats Rebel Flag silk screen printing factory. I could make a fortune.

Obviously I'm being tongue-in-cheek here but there is a universe of difference from social media playing politics with what amounts to guests on BW they pay for and the government shutting down political speech. There have been actual nd credible threats to free speech here in the country. Recently in fact. Barack Obama using the IRS as a weapon against conservative PACs is one of the most egregious. This is another one:

web1_bundy_040114jl_03_12.jpg

See the difference here? This is the government using force to curtail rights. Facebook & Twitter playing left wing politics in a sandbox that is entirely theirs is not.

Thomas Sowell