Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What's on the idiot box?

• Please log in to reply
497 replies to this topic

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3364 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
How is it even possible to sneak up this close with such huge ships. It's like they are blind on purpose.

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3246 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

How is it even possible to sneak up this close with such huge ships. It's like they are blind on purpose.

A lack of radar?

Possibly the whole dark and foggy night and the ships slipping up happen to be painted dark colours to blend in with the sea? Night blindness from the ships watchmen who are all stood around next to lights on the ships?

Plus...the all important.. Plot-Reasons!

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 4938 posts

spoilers:

They are in too much of hurry this season and the Ironborn storyline is suffering for it - building that many ships that fast - the Kraken axe, using Carracks for ramming - the cannonball catapults. All of them signs that the writers are busy getting to the next 'cool' moment, rather than building up proper suspense. Which is what actually makes story culminations awesome.

Having Euron hunt them with a much smaller fleet, out- thinking, flanking and maneuvering them, would work so much better. Also for establishing him as a character to fear.

• Raithe likes this

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2401 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk

I'm giving Euron the benefit of the doubt, but my patience is wearing a bit thin. I'm hopeful because the actor emphasizes that Euron is someone different for every situation. Now he was a screaming, intimidating pirate. With Cersei he was a confident rock-star. When killing Balon he was stoic. When he confronted Theon and Arya alone, he was a serial killer. With the Ironborn at the Kingsmoot he was the ultimate expression of the Ironborn way of life. When he faced Theon, he channeled the provoking nature of Ramsay Snow, who never forbid Theon from stuff, he just provoked him into making mistakes to forcefully punish him. The problem is, he always seems a bit thuggish while doing so too, and that makes him seem more one-note. So I'm hoping we'll see some more different sides to him, and that they go a bit into his history as the most feared pirate, the myth of him being the only one to sail beyond the known sea and coming back, and his reputation as something of a magician/warlock that he has in the book.

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8910 posts

His entrance on the ship reminded me of a Rob Zombie concert.

• Chilloutman likes this

Raithe

Raithe

• Members
  • 3246 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Oh, for those interested in SG-1, to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the show, they've put the pilot episode in its entirety on youtube for a limited time.

• Hurlshot and injurai like this

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4525 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Oh, for those interested in SG-1, to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the show, they've put the pilot episode in its entirety on youtube for a limited time.

Is this the version with boobs?

• Hurlshot and WDeranged like this

majestic

majestic

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 591 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

According to the comments, no - so that would make it the re-cut "new" version of the pilot. The one were they took out the MacGyver reference and Carter's little uhm, speech about her reproductive organs.

Never seen that version though, might give it a shake. The speech was kind of over the top but the reference made me smile. Not sure why they thought it was terrible. RDA is MacGyver for us children of the 80ies.

• Raithe likes this

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2401 posts
Omg. The story of GoT is actually progressing? Shock!
  • Labadal likes this

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16970 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah, by simply going from plot point to plot point with very little depth or room to breath. For what it was, the episode  was okay but surely not as good as it can be. Yeah, less episodes this season so  hardly any scenes can breathe.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5380 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

olenna.jpeg

• kirottu, Labadal and algroth like this

Raithe

Raithe

• Members
  • 3246 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Huffington Post - Game of Thrones content leaks online after HBO is hacked

majestic

majestic

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 591 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The plot induced teleporting was strong in this episode. Reducing the episode count sure paid off so far. Who needs all that filler setup, eh?

Dany's fleet still hasn't learned to post lookouts or do any reconnaissance at all.

I also have a nerdish question. Assuming Dragonstone is in the show where it is in the books and Dany split her fleet to go to the Rock and pick up the Dornish army both fleets would have reasonably travelled the same way up until Sunspear (or wherever the Dornish army is). Seems like Grey Worm's fleet teleporter worked slightly faster than Asha's Yara's.

Had a good laugh at Archmaester Slughorn telling Harry to be happy with not being expelled. :D

edit:

Come to think of it, did Olenna travel on Grey Worm's ship?

Edited by majestic, 31 July 2017 - 10:24 AM.

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8910 posts

Arya will lead an army of wolves against the White Wankers like Perrin in Wheel of Time.

• Raithe likes this

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2547 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Does she kick high in that episode?

algroth

algroth

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 608 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I thought the episode was damn good, some great moments for Cersei, Tyrion and Olenna. My one complaint is that the battle sequences so far have been looking cheaper and faker than usual - the rubbery costumes and CG backdrops at Casterly Rock had me thinking of Helen of Troy.

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3364 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
The episode was good and tensing, but I could only lol at how bad mother of dragons spy network is. Cant even see huge armies marching through the lands. Its the second fail in a row and it feels pretty forced... again.
  • Labadal likes this

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2401 posts
Varys lost his touch.

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(8) Warlock

• Members