RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

It's like saying that books are better today because we now have kindle instead of paper book...

Not really but please explain how you got that from what I wrote.

Sorry, one of your videos is FFVII. And with the evolution of stories at least in Square you are completely wrong. The biggest issue of FFVII was not low quality of story, but lower quality of translation, because it was first big japanese title translated to English. And lot of meanings, and cultural references were lost due to bad translation or censorship. If you want to have fair and objective comparison, you should compare FFVIII or FFIX with FFXIII or FFXV, and clear winners would be older titles, no question asked...

You are saying only what you think is true. I am saying you are completely missing a point...

And experiments like that are done daily on kids. And they rather play oldstyle games with cute graphics on their phones or tablets, or LEGO games, than play some photorealistic bull****.

My 40 years old girlfriend, which never played any games before we started to live together also prefers older games with handdrawn graphics than the new and hip "ultrarealistic" stuff for acne ridden teenagers whose favourite thing to do is to increase their self-esteem by teacupping their opponents and yelling GIT GUD... Her reaction to me playing Dishonored for first time says it all. "Oh god. It's awfull and depressing, please stop to play that game when I am around." She was used to watch me play my games and loved to uncover the story with me together.

EDIT: and NES is 80's not 90's. So you are making your own argument automatically invalid.

Yes, precisely another reason why the 90's aren't as great - bad localization/translation. You have far better translations happening today than in the 90's which were, let's face it, absolutely horrid and with devs/pubs letting fans help with translations, that helps things go alot smoother in today's games as well.

And yes, I know that experiments are being done with kids but this isn't about just how kids react, this is about everyone. Kids, teens, adults. Nobody is going to remember the 90's as the greatest era in gaming, yes, the 90's introduced/pioneered alot of things and we are just now perfecting them.

It's not about photorealistic graphics either, all and any art style is better now when it comes to graphics. Every pixel art style is truer to form now than it ever was and I don't think kids would prefer photorealistic games, I think theu will go for what looks best and what appeals to them. Animation also plays a huge role, what is the art atyle if not accompanied by good animations? But my comments were never directed to graphics alone but evety aspect of games.

I liked Dishonored but yeah, that probably wouldn't be what I imagine a 40 yo woman would be impressed with. However, there are alot if great games in the last 5 years, dpending on her interests I'm sure she would find somethimg that she could fall in love with.

Lastly, I never said NES was 90's, I just used the video as an example to show how people in the future will react to 90's games - as in ut will be more of a joke than anything. I don't think there's amything invalid about that. This isn't an argument, people are assuming and twisting/manipulating. I've only been posting some facts. I mean, yeah the 90's are the most influencial era for gaming but definitely not the best. The future will prove this, I'm hoping everyone will look back in 40 years and remember this but honestly, we'll all probably be dead by then anyways lol

I'm not sure how you think that's it's laughable, can you present any proof that shows otherwise? As far as I'm concerned kid's and teenagers opinions are worth more than any of ours. These are the people who will be making games in a few years after all ;)

This isn't the same as music but don't kid yourself... kids today are more creative and musically inclined than kids ever have been in history. I would never assume that a kid would know or favor Justin Bieber over Bach because I've seen 10 year olds play Bach on YouTube better than people who have played it for 50 years.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I'd say it's more like saying books are better after the printing press, maybe? I'm not sure I like the analogy enough to go further. :p

yeah thats why hand written ones are so much more expensive xD

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Sorry, but teenagers opinions are not worthy more than oppinions of old farts. I can agree that people over 25, which are done with their rebelious period have their oppinion more relevant than I do. But the biggest reason why we have today so much shovelware is, that the games are focustested on teenage groups. Thankfully at least indie companies are not focus testing, and they are presenting their own creative vision.

The music comparison is very relevant to gaming. The fact you can find one small kid playing Bach one youtube, does not prove, that other teenagers have good taste in music as well. Same goes with games. I bet you could find some kids playing Sonic the Hedgehog on MegaDrive emulator on you tube as well. But thousands other teenagers getting wet on Twitch while playing newest Call of Duty shows much more how good is the taste of teenagers ;-)

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

And Dishonored not being up to taste for my gf, was not expected. Because few days before we enjoyed few matches of Mortal Kombat, but there is no story involved, it's just fun to play even for her.

Eh, I'm a woman in my 40s and both Dishonored and Dishonored 2 are in my library. Generalizations aren't often useful.

Anyway, I see my point was missed by a mile. I have no problem with people liking 90s games more than modern games. There are a lot of good 90s games, and I'm glad many of them have a new lease on life thanks to GOG. There are a lot of good 2010s games and I'm glad they're around too. Anyone who says they like one or the other more is just expressing an opinion and doesn't need to be shot down because someone else has a differing opinion. There is literally no need to be on a crusade against people saying the 90s were better for games. They're not hurting gaming. They're not hurting games. They're not hurting anyone, not even themselves. And yet here we are with a guy writing walls of text about how there's something wrong with this and how it needs to be stopped.

The case that hasn't been made - and can't be made, honestly - is why people need to stop preferring the 90s. 90s nostalgia is harmless.

• Like 1

And that's where you're missing my point. I've said time and time again that I don't have a problem with people liking or favoring one generation or era of games over the other. I have more of a problem with people on this thread who are twisting my words/comments and making them into something that they clearly aren't.

My original comment was stating pretty much what you said but in different words. Then someone asked me to argue lol I simply provided links. I never said 90's games were bad, I just said we now have more tech and able minds to make better games and the games today do have better gameplay, mechanics, stories, etc. They're pushing things that were not in the 90's because they weren't acceptable in the 90's or people weren't creative enough to think them up.

It doesn't make much sense to make me out as a 90's games hater. I grew up on alot of 90's games so I'm not sure where exactly you're getting that from. The 90's were by far, the most influencial era in gaming but that doesn't make it the best. In 2017, we're just now perfecting things that were introduced in the 90's, the industry is in a better place than it was in the 90's and devs are creating much better things and interesting ideas than in the 90's, I'm not sure what's wrong with saying this or why it's striking nerves. Of course I have fond memories of 90's games!

More gaming news:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/603840/Randall/

Randall is a metroidvania/platformer in whixh you can possess enemies and use their abilities to conplete puzzles. Kinda reminds me of Abe from Oddworld but with more versatility and fast action movement. The artwork looks fantastic.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Eh, I'm a woman in my 40s and both Dishonored and Dishonored 2 are in my library. Generalizations aren't often useful.

Anyway, I see my point was missed by a mile. I have no problem with people liking 90s games more than modern games. There are a lot of good 90s games, and I'm glad many of them have a new lease on life thanks to GOG. There are a lot of good 2010s games and I'm glad they're around too. Anyone who says they like one or the other more is just expressing an opinion and doesn't need to be shot down because someone else has a differing opinion. There is literally no need to be on a crusade against people saying the 90s were better for games. They're not hurting gaming. They're not hurting games. They're not hurting anyone, not even themselves. And yet here we are with a guy writing walls of text about how there's something wrong with this and how it needs to be stopped.

The case that hasn't been made - and can't be made, honestly - is why people need to stop preferring the 90s. 90s nostalgia is harmless.

I was not generalizing, I was just giving an example of person, who never played any games before 39.8 of her age, who prefers to watch/play older games over new games. Nothing wrong with you loving DH games. I like them too. I just avoid playing them when my gf is home :-)

I was not generalizing, I was just giving an example of person, who never played any games before 39.8 of her age, who prefers to watch/play older games over new games. Nothing wrong with you loving DH games. I like them too. I just avoid playing them when my gf is home :-)

Nah, you didn't make any generalization. It was someone else. You were specifically talking about your girlfriend, which is the complete opposite of a generalization.l

And that's where you're missing my point. I've said time and time again that I don't have a problem with people liking or favoring one generation or era of games over the other. I have more of a problem with people on this thread who are twisting my words/comments and making them into something that they clearly aren't.

My original comment was stating pretty much what you said but in different words. Then someone asked me to argue lol I simply provided links. I never said 90's games were bad, I just said we now have more tech and able minds to make better games and the games today do have better gameplay, mechanics, stories, etc. They're pushing things that were not in the 90's because they weren't acceptable in the 90's or people weren't creative enough to think them up.

It doesn't make much sense to make me out as a 90's games hater. I grew up on alot of 90's games so I'm not sure where exactly you're getting that from. The 90's were by far, the most influencial era in gaming but that doesn't make it the best. In 2017, we're just now perfecting things that were introduced in the 90's, the industry is in a better place than it was in the 90's and devs are creating much better things and interesting ideas than in the 90's, I'm not sure what's wrong with saying this or why it's striking nerves. Of course I have fond memories of 90's games!

It was where you claimed that your views on which games are better or worse were unbiased or objective whereas other people's were biased and subjective. And you keep going on about how people think 90s games are better are wrong, and as far as I can tell that's just going in circles over and over again.

• Like 2

To be clear, my generalization was about people of all ages, 40 years from now. It didn't include you so don't worry about. Didn't mean to offend anyone really. I never said "Put people in a room today and conduct a experiment" because there are way to many people who were alive in the 90's there biased and nostalgia gets in the way. I think that would be common sense.

There's a pretty big difference! :)

It was where you claimed that your views on which games are better or worse were unbiased or objective whereas other people's were biased and subjective. And you keep going on about how people think 90s games are better are wrong, and as far as I can tell that's just going in circles over and over again.

From a technical stand point, yes, people are wrong for saying that 90's games are better than today's games... I'm not going to let people tell me that games had better sound, graphics, user interfaces, controls or story-writing back then than they do now. That's what I said wasn't an opinion but fact. The first game was created in 1947, the 90's games are much better than they were in the 40's and 50's just as today's games are better than the 90's games.

Liking them is another thing. I never said there was anything about it being wrong to like older games better. My all time favorite game is Sonic 2 on Sega Genesis. Nothing will ever take the place of Sonic 2 in my heart but I realize and acknowledge that is nostalgia which makes it so.

Edited by SonicMage117

To be clear, my generalization was about people of all ages, 40 years from now. It didn't include you so don't worry about. Didn't mean to offend anyone really. I never said "Put people in a room today and conduct a experiment" because there are way to many people who were alive in the 90's there biased and nostalgia gets in the way. I think that would be common sense.

There's a pretty big difference! :)

From a technical stand point, yes, people are wrong for saying that 90's games are better than today's games... I'm not going to let people tell me that games had better sound, graphics, user interfaces, controls or story-writing back then than they do now. That's what I said wasn't an opinion but fact. The first game was created in 1947, the 90's games are much better than they were in the 40's and 50's just as today's games are better than the 90's games.

Liking them is another thing. I never said there was anything about it being wrong to like older games better. My all time favorite game is Sonic 2 on Sega Genesis. Nothing will ever take the place of Sonic 2 in my heart but I realize and acknowledge that is nostalgia which makes it so.

Your generalization was that 40 year old women wouldn't like Dishonored.

As for the rest, you're doing it again - whether something is "better" or "worse" is largely subjective. If people love the Baldur's Gate games and think they're better than Pillars of Eternity, this opinion probably takes several factors into account other than technological advancement, and your decrying their opinion as nostalgic and biased because they're claiming a game is better (as opposed to the semantically identical "I like this game better") is exactly the point of contention.

Also, by your explanation in this post, it is impossible for any game that preceded Mass Effect Andromeda by that much time to be better than Mass Effect Andromeda. Yes, ME:A has a lot of issues with facial animations and other bugs, but it still makes use of modern technology, which is what makes games "automatically better" than the 90s games in your argument above.

Just to elucidate my own stance, I much prefer most modern games over older games, although there are several older games that I still enjoy. There are a few games that were published in the late 90s that I do not think modern games have touched or exceeded, however, and for me those games are definitely better than any comparable modern offering. This doesn't make me biased or nostalgic, it simply means I have an opinion, and for me, that opinion is correct. Since I am not making a judgment about what anyone else enjoys from games past, present, or future, it is really irrelevant whether my opinion is "objectively correct" whether I think a modern game or an older game is better or worse, as it only shapes my gaming habits and what I might recommend to others based on what I know of their tastes. It is further irrelevant because my opinion is based on playing these games more recently than 1999, especially since they are available and run on modern machines thanks to GOG.

And constantly arguing that such opinions must necessarily be objectively wrong is exactly the point of contention with your posts.

Edited by Belle Sorciere
  • Like 3

Okay. I'm sorry.

And yeah, I forgot about when I said about 40 year old female probably not liking Dishonored. My bad, I thought you were talking about something else. No disrespect was intended.

• Like 2

Saying a 40 year old women 'probably' wouldn't like a certain thing isn't the same as saying none would. I feel confident saying that most men don't like rom coms but no doubt there are men who enjoy rom coms. Heck, I cna enjoy a good rom com now and then.

But, there cetrainly needs to be mroe than 'anecodtal' evidence too.  You need polls, stats (which can't be trusted since they can be twisted), etc., etc. The only way to know what the truth is is to poll  a bunch of 40 year old women (and a bunch of others) and comapre how many atcually like it. Like, if 25% of 40 yea rold women like the game but 60% of young men do then it is clear it is geared more for the 'young man' tatse. That doesn't mean a 40 year women *can't* like it anymore than a guy cna like a soap opera even though soaps are egared towards women.

As for which games ar ebetter - older and newer. *shrug* It is a dumb argument.  A game cna be good or bad no matter when it was made. technology has advanced but the game maker hasn't. Some are good some are bad.

Just take Elvis. Old geezers at his time hated him ebcause he was 'too risky'. People who grew up with them  thoguht he was cool and on the edge. Comapred to modern music tastes, he is safe and just a part of history but most young people don't care much about him.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I think you guys need a new thread. just sayin'  :disguise:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I'm glad you're spelling out your views and bringing supporting material. To sum up:

1. You often say "newer games are better because..." then present another sweeping generalisation instead of supporting argumentation. E.g. saying "we have better artists, better writers, better programmers today than ever before... everything is excelling because the younger generation has more access to everything and are being fed to create" doesn't actually give the reader any reason to be persuaded of this. You're just asserting that writers today are better, they have more 'access' to everything (do they? how do I know?), and they're being 'fed to create' (I don't even know what this means). I'm simply not being given any actual meat to chew on and think "you know what, at least that bit is true, newer games do have the benefit of X specific thing that they didn't used to". All I see is slogans. 

2. You still can't help but insert at every opportunity patronising assumptions about people who disagree with you. Every paragraph or so, there's this unfounded assumption that this is "people who realise newer games are obviously better vs. people stuck in the 90s with nostalgia goggles incapable of seeing the obvious truth". Nobody wants to be talked to like this. Imagine if I kept telling you that "old games are obviously better and people who don't understand that are just dumb sheep, and the reason for it is the older generation just was more hungry to create." Would you ever be persuaded? 

3. I know there're plenty of idiots out there who will tell you newer games are all crap and you're an idiot for liking them, or that the original Mass Effect was amazing and any change to it is sacrilege. But I don't see anyone like that here (usually). Why pick the most stupid of opposition to argue with, especially if they're not in the room? E.g. I've actually played the old Fallouts recently, I'm not speaking from 20 year old memories. I'm not inherently opposed to, say, the switch of camera perspective in the new Fallouts. For someone like me you're giving no reason to be persuaded. 

4. If you really want to have a reasonable discussion about these issues, then you need to actually debate the bits that you gloss over by saying "it's obvious". First, abandon this unfounded and insulting assumption that people who disagree with you are disagreeing in bad faith (e.g. that they are just arguing for old games to 'protect their favourite eras'). Second, tell us specifically what you feel has improved about, say, the visuals of games between 90s and 10s. For example, I am firmly of the belief that while technical fidelity of game graphics has enormously improved in those years, this has been accompanied by a general decline in artistic style, resulting in a more monotonous and unimaginative set of visuals - and so the results are mixed, rather than any one period being 'superior'. This doesn't mean going back to pixel graphics is necessary to achieve better visuals, but I would be able to discuss how the switch to 3D, for example, brought about numerous changes in game production processes that contributed to this monotony. Do you see how such a substantial discussion would be markedly different from just saying "it's obvious newer games are so much better in every way and you'd have to be insane to deny it"?

Edited by Tigranes
  • Like 8

I'm glad you're spelling out your views and bringing supporting material. To sum up:

1. You often say "newer games are better because..." then present another sweeping generalisation instead of supporting argumentation. E.g. saying "we have better artists, better writers, better programmers today than ever before... everything is excelling because the younger generation has more access to everything and are being fed to create" doesn't actually give the reader any reason to be persuaded of this. You're just asserting that writers today are better, they have more 'access' to everything (do they? how do I know?), and they're being 'fed to create' (I don't even know what this means). I'm simply not being given any actual meat to chew on and think "you know what, at least that bit is true, newer games do have the benefit of X specific thing that they didn't used to". All I see is slogans. 

2. You still can't help but insert at every opportunity patronising assumptions about people who disagree with you. Every paragraph or so, there's this unfounded assumption that this is "people who realise newer games are obviously better vs. people stuck in the 90s with nostalgia goggles incapable of seeing the obvious truth". Nobody wants to be talked to like this. Imagine if I kept telling you that "old games are obviously better and people who don't understand that are just dumb sheep, and the reason for it is the older generation just was more hungry to create." Would you ever be persuaded? 

3. I know there're plenty of idiots out there who will tell you newer games are all crap and you're an idiot for liking them, or that the original Mass Effect was amazing and any change to it is sacrilege. But I don't see anyone like that here (usually). Why pick the most stupid of opposition to argue with, especially if they're not in the room? E.g. I've actually played the old Fallouts recently, I'm not speaking from 20 year old memories. I'm not inherently opposed to, say, the switch of camera perspective in the new Fallouts. For someone like me you're giving no reason to be persuaded. 

4. If you really want to have a reasonable discussion about these issues, then you need to actually debate the bits that you gloss over by saying "it's obvious". First, abandon this unfounded and insulting assumption that people who disagree with you are disagreeing in bad faith (e.g. that they are just arguing for old games to 'protect their favourite eras'). Second, tell us specifically what you feel has improved about, say, the visuals of games between 90s and 10s. For example, I am firmly of the belief that while technical fidelity of game graphics has enormously improved in those years, this has been accompanied by a general decline in artistic style, resulting in a more monotonous and unimaginative set of visuals - and so the results are mixed, rather than any one period being 'superior'. This doesn't mean going back to pixel graphics is necessary to achieve better visuals, but I would be able to discuss how the switch to 3D, for example, brought about numerous changes in game production processes that contributed to this monotony. Do you see how such a substantial discussion would be markedly different from just saying "it's obvious newer games are so much better in every way and you'd have to be insane to deny it"?

Hush, go play BG, you have obviously too much time

• Like 4

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Looks like SonicMage117 is the BruceVC of the gaming forum. :biggrin:

that is killing me :)

Goddd... that actually looks amazing! I'm not sure how it will compare with RDR2 but that scenery looks like what Far Cry was made for. I wonder if it's Dunia engine?

I can't wait to see gameplay for it at E3 (assuming that gameplay will be shown there), hoping it will be better than Primal *crosses fingers*

Here are a couple trailers for games coming out on the 30th:

https://youtu.be/iyrLwpr2gXg

https://youtu.be/oCpAT4eMpcU

Looks like SonicMage117 is the BruceVC of the gaming forum. :biggrin:

Who is that? And what is he infamous for? Lol Guess I wrecked the thread without meaning to. I was actually just talking with peeps. And if this is true, I want to apologize to everyone for how it looks.

@Tigranes First off, I don't "often" say that newer games are better than older games. That's a flat out lie. I've actually never said that before this thread. Feel free to show me where you've seen me say it because you accused me of this very thing the other day.

I've never really assumed anything except for the generalization of a 40 year old woman probably not liking Dishonored. We are all guilty of assuming in one way or another on these forums. The other things about developnent evolution are true but I digress.

What we do know is that most people that are active on the Obsidian forums are older, people who were alive at the time games like Baldurs Gate originally came out, are they not? I mean, we do have some younger people here but the majority will agree with you because you're a like-minded generation, fans of the same things, growing up with the same games, etc etc.

I think it would be interesting to take the topic to a more unbiased forum with a more diverse age group and more active members to see what the reaction wiuld be. I highly doubt it would be the same.

About the graphics:

Well if we want to look at how much better artists have become at pixel art over the years, there's a video for the evolution:

https://youtu.be/ygchZzqfgzw

Actually, I hate the switch that games have made from 2D sprites to 3D models most of them time. I think I said that in the fighting game thread I made awhile back, I know that I do not like King Of The Fighters 14 at all because the D models do not fit the game well. I think that sprites have something that gets lost when transitioned to 3D. I always find 2D sprites to have some personality that is hard for any other art style to obtain and games like King Of The Fighters, Melty Blood, and Nitroplus Blasterz represent this well.

Hi-Res Hand Drawn Art and HD Pixel art styles are especially beautiful in today's games.

I wouldn't say I'm glossing over anything by saying "It's obvious" I've posted many video links which speak for themselves, if the older generation of members do not want to accept that because they feel they lived it or just want to discard any link to truths then that's a totally different issue. I myself am 30 years old, I have kids and neices. I see where the industry is going, I'm always staying current, not because I'm settling but because I'm excited for the advancements and what will be left behind for my future grandkids someday and the fact that because of advancements making things constantly better.

Some things are indeed common sense, we didn't have the tools that we have now to make experiences better or even available to where we do now. For instance, one thing that 90's kids wanted the most was VR and while they had something like it here and there, it is just now being perfected. Today we have a resolution that doesn't hurt your eyes for looking at the screen for to long, we have better sound quality and surround sound units to create immersion. Artists have taken pixel art to a level where 90's kids like me only dreamed when we were young, writers have more freedom with stories, the stories are far better written and developed than they were in the 90's (already gave examples of this in prior comments). So some stuff I didn't think I would have to explain, maybe I should in case there are people here who haven't moved on from 90's tech and are still gaming on a tube tv or crt monitor. The argument of 2D or 3D doesn't matter and doesn't really have anything to do with why games are being made better today than the yesteryears. It has more to do with the fact that game developers are making games now with more passion than ever before, the constanly new tools that are given to them, the freedom they have now that they didn't before, thus delivering better experiences. Where do I get this from? YouTube.. I watch alot of videos on YouTube which educate me on the mindsets of developers and how the development processes have changed over the years. The 90's for now are the most influencial game era but that's probably going to change very soon.

I already have given you specific examples in how today's games possess better story writing, look back on my comments. As I said we are getting more intimate and relatable stories that weren't possible in the 90's. Why would anyone deny it? I'll list the examples again, this time without video links explaining why: Life Is Strange, Oxen free, Hyper Light Drifter, That Dragon Cancer, etc.

Lastly, there has never been any ill-intent or hostility on my part. I have never said something like "you're dumb if you don't agree with me" nor have I intended to give that intimidation but this is the internet. I guess I forget that people can take things the wrong way or read the text and get something that wasn't necessarily meant.

So with that, I guess I'll no longer contributing to the conversation but I am reading the comments and lending my ear (I am acknowledging your feedback and thank everyone for remaining respectful which is why I like this forum).

Edited by SonicMage117