Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2017 Celebrity Deaths

• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

algroth

algroth

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 608 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Lino Manfrotto, photojournalist, inventor and founder of Manfrotto, died today. http://nofilmschool....-passes-away-80

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2551 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Mike Ilitch died the other day. I don't know anything about him other than he was a Marine, owned some teams, and a pizza joint

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7235 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Mike Ilitch died the other day. I don't know anything about him other than he was a Marine, owned some teams, and a pizza joint

kinda weird.  a friend o' ours passed away a few years ago.  he owned a half dozen little caesars franchises and he were a former head coach of the atlanta flames hockey team. weren't a marine, 'cause he were, y'know, kanadian.  anyway, the hockey + little caesars connection made us recall the passing o' a good friend.

algroth

algroth

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 608 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Jiro Taniguchi, manga artist/author responsible for, among other things, The Walking Man, Summit of the Gods and Icarus (alongside Jean Giraud) died earlier this week.

VeniseTaniguchi-1-e1450124977949.jpg

Summit-Of-The-Gods-Volume-Two2-540x817.j

e8834-r_puu.jpg

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4637 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

https://www.nytimes....dies-at-76.html

Al Jarreau, Jazz, R&B & pop singer passed away Sunday.

Valsuelm

Valsuelm

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

What a horribly morbid thread....

With all due respect to the various folks who have past away, celebs are nothing special. People die every day, good people and bad people. The in recent times increased obsession with 'celebrity deaths' is a reflection of some of the worst aspects of modern society.

I hope this threads dies sooner than later.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8629 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer

Prince and David Bowie are nothing special?

image.gif

algroth

algroth

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 608 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

In all honesty the reason I update this thread with some regularity is because it's a good chance to further divulge their work, and only do so when the artist/celebrity in question is someone I admired to a degree or another. On the other hand, people like Leibezeit, Wetton, Hurt, or even Manfrotto who's best known as an inventor and industry founder, are people whose death did affect me, because I did have a link with their work and liked them as people. Being a celebrity has little to do with paying respect to a person you cared for, however distantly, in their death.

• Hurlshot and Bartimaeus like this

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2334 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I might have thought that Vals would at least have some appreciation for Hurt, 1984 and V for Vendetta would seem to be right up his alley, philosophically speaking and as warnings, at least.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1545 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

What a horribly morbid thread....

I wouldn't say it's that morbid. It's not as though we're all sitting here crying our eyes out - it's an opportunity to share the work - hopefully interesting and/or good - that people have done throughout their lives, people many of us may not have ever heard of. I know what the title of the thread says, but many of these weren't even really celebrities...just interesting and noted people whose time have apparently come and gone and whom we might appreciate to learn a little about.

It's also a way to keep updated on the more major deaths, too, I guess. Even though the majority of us are bound to hear plenty enough about those already...

Edited by Bartimaeus, 16 February 2017 - 08:42 PM.

• rjshae and algroth like this

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4637 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I frequent a forum on certain classic films that has a complete forum dedicated to memorializing those of artistic talent who have passed away (...and its been going on so long, memorializing some of the posters of the board).

Given that we've had individual threads on various people here before, I don't think there's anything wrong with mentioning people of distinction - actors, directors, scientists, musicians, writers, artists, etc.

And with that in mind, Bruce Lansbury, producer of Mission: Impossible, Wild, Wild West, Knight Rider and - working with his older sister - Murder She Wrote passed away - http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.2973846

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5382 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

R.I.P. George "The Animal" Steele

algroth

algroth

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 608 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Now Larry Coryell...

http://www.npr.org/s...m_medium=social

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4637 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

And Ivan Koloff

And long-time TV actor Warren Frost, (Doc Hayward in TWIN PEAKS amid many credits) also passed away.  He was also the father of Twin Peaks co-creator Mark Frost.

And Time Magazine's film critic Richard Schieckel has also passed away.  He was also an extensive documentarian with 5 emmy nominations for his documentaries on film (like THE MEN WHO MADE THE MOVIES (1973)).

algroth

algroth

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 608 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

https://www.theguard...ki-dies-aged-93

Seijun Suzuki died. It makes me sad to an extent, though 93's not a shabby age to go. For those not familiar with his wonderful filmography, go check out Tokyo Drifter, Branded to Kill and Gate of Flesh!

Edited by algroth, 22 February 2017 - 06:32 AM.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4637 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

93 is a good age, but you can't help but wonder what he could have done if his dismissal from Nikkatsu in '67 and the subsequent lawsuit he won hadn't led to his blacklisting for a decade. Although with Nikkatsu's content change in 1974, there's no telling really what his career would have been like during that period, I guess.

I'm pretty sure I know his films primarily from reputation, though, as I haven't delved too deeply into the Nikkatsu catalogue.

• algroth likes this

algroth

algroth

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 608 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

93 is a good age, but you can't help but wonder what he could have done if his dismissal from Nikkatsu in '67 and the subsequent lawsuit he won hadn't led to his blacklisting for a decade. Although with Nikkatsu's content change in 1974, there's no telling really what his career would have been like during that period, I guess.

I'm pretty sure I know his films primarily from reputation, though, as I haven't delved too deeply into the Nikkatsu catalogue.

As a bit of a Japanophile, especially when it comes to arts (cinema and literature especially), I'd tell you to investigate some more on their catalogue as some of the directors working with them at the time were really interesting, and vital for the whole Japanese New Wave and such. Shohei Imamura in particular is my favorite Japanese filmmaker and he saw his rise to fame in that studio (even if he'd make his best work later too). Pigs and Battleships, The Insect Woman and Intentions of Murder, all available as a box-set from Criterion, are well worth getting, he's got one of the keenest and most interesting eyes I've come across in cinema. There's also Koreyoshi Kurahara, and Ko Nakahira. All the same it occurs to me that all these directors were very much at odds with the studio at the time, to my awareness the films of Imamura and Suzuki at least were very badly seen by the studio heads, and were bound to break apart sooner or later. With Suzuki I reckon it would have happened either way it played out, it just did in the worst possible manner.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4637 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The Criterion Collection is certainly an embarrassment of riches in many ways.  There is so much there to try and work through.

algroth

algroth

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 608 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The Criterion Collection is certainly an embarrassment of riches in many ways.  There is so much there to try and work through.

Can't hurt to have more - to this day I still hear people bemoaning the lack of this film or other. Can't get their hands on everything though.

It's certainly my go-to home video distributor, I've spent more money buying out stuff in their catalogue than I have DVD/Blus of any other company. Those B&N sales are a godsend...

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2551 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Bill Paxton :(