Movies You've Seen Recently Thread

Blarghagh

razzies is a joke award.  give award for terrible movies or performances that nobody has heard of would be pointless.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"I Am Legend isn't a remake of The Omega Man, it was a new adaption of I Am Legend"

It's a remake. Splitting hairs is just silly.

Its not splitting hairs, its using the correct terminology to refer to the correct thing correctly.

I Am Legend isn't a remake of Omega Man anymore than Omega Man was a remake of The Last Man on Earth.  All three are different adaptions of the novel (with differing levels of fidelity to the source).

Nosferatu (1922) and Dracula (1931) are both adaptions of the Bram Stoker novel (the 1931 movie via the Hamilton Deane stage play), but Dracula (1931) isn't a remake of Nosferatu.  However the Werner Herzog 1979 Nosferatu with Klaus Kinski is a remake of the 1922 Nosferatu but the 1979 Dracula with Frank Langella is a new adaption of the stage play that 1931 Dracula was an adaption of so it is neither a remake of either the 1922 and 1979 Nosferatu films or of the 1931 Dracula.

Based on your argument - that anything that adapts the same material is a remake - The Dark Knight is a remake of Batman (1989) which is a remake of Batman (1966) which is a remake of Batman (1943) despite having little in common other than the fact they're adapting the same character from other media.

not to put too fine a point on it, but what in the hell are you doing?  is a category that the razzies folks is utilizing.  am suspecting that the razzie folks would laugh themselves apoplectic if the "winners" o' one o' their awards argued with any seriousness that the reason their movie/performance did not deserve mention were 'cause o' mislabeling.  and yeah, is a category that will indeed have fuzzy gray areas 'cause it is meant to limit an artform.  is a category no doubt imagined into existence by folks whose closest brush with scientific method were listening to a bunch o' nerds discuss the plausibility o' lightsabers during their time at usc film school. and most pointless and ill-considered is that you is arguing with vol in an attempt to get him to see the validity o' the categorization in question.  find self arguing serious with vol over what is largely nonsense has happened to us once or twice and is always embarrassing.

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

Eh...I even mentioned in my first post that strict adherence to the categories really wasn't the Razzie's intention.

Vol then disagreed with me, so I disagreed back with some logic.  Nothing really to see here.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

o8nf3rzmwj7tphgre9vk.png

First look at Flash and Cyborg from Justice League. Aquaman is a full on Klingon.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Finally saw Star Wars.

Admittedly I've never been a huge fan of the franchise, I saw the original trilogy when I was a kid and I did enjoy them but never got as swept up by it as everyone else. Also worth mentioning I'm not particularly fond of J.J. Abrams and thought the Star Trek films were absolutely terrible.

With that in mind I'm surprised to say I genuinely enjoyed the film. It was well shot, well directed, kept to the spirit of the original trilogy and [surprisingly] didn't have any cringey callbacks. Probably the only thing I didn't like was some of the CGI for the aliens.

Overall about as good as it could've been.

• Like 1

Captain Boomerang was historically my favourite. Too bad they stripped him of any little bit of blue and didn't show him with any boomerangs so I didn't realize it was Captain Boomerang until I focused on the still shot.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

And rather then pull back the Bowie thread..

Toby Froud, who was the baby in Labyrinth grew up into a puppeteer, and recently re-enacted the Dance Magic Dance scene he was in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHO7scjC29Q

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

"Since 1995 Blacks who are 12% of the US population have won 13% of the Oscars"

RACISM.

Also,  since its existence BET has rewarded 0 whities (and I'm guessing other minorities) ZERO awards. But, that's not racism. L0LZ

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The 5th Wave. I liked it as much as The Hunger Games. Good potyential but I don't see it getting tranction though. The buzz, sadly, has been lacklustre. Too bad too.

L0L @ the feminism part of the movie though. It is like every modern movie has to  shoehorn such bull****z into a film in the most hypocritical double standard way. HAHAHAHA!

"Since 1995 Blacks who are 12% of the US population have won 13% of the Oscars"

RACISM.

Also,  since its existence BET has rewarded 0 whities (and I'm guessing other minorities) ZERO awards. But, that's not racism. L0LZ

Whatever, Hollywood is in decline, TV is on the rise and as soon as people finish migrating to Internet TV it will cement its demise.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Actually, it seems I was mistaken (ignorance lol) but BET has rewarded some whitiesat their awards... of course,  comapred to the population the % is suspect and reeks of racism. Still, it is soemthing. L0L

Gives me a Book of Life vibe, which is a good thing, as that was probably my favorite animated film of the last decade.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Westworld (1973). Been a while since I watched this. Not sure if I could stomach the sequel Futureworld but I'll probably watch it again. Mainly re-watched it for the TV Series that's coming out this year.

Yeah Futureworld is a weird follow-up.

The TV series Westworld from the early 80s is a train wreck.

Watched

SLEUTH (1972) - Not bad, very stage play feeling though which isn't always desired in a movie

ARSENE LUPIN (1932) - Lionel Barrymore and John Barrymore as a police detective and the titular thief respectively match wits; Lupin plans to steal from a rich crooked man, the police want to stop him.  Karen Morley plays the female lead, a criminal offered clemency if she helps trap Lupin.  Has a good balance of drama and fast wit.  Should point out that, like Sleuth, Arsene Lupin is based on a stage play, but manages to not feel stage bound.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Sanctum

First I thought its gonna be your bad B-movie diving accident movie, on a similar quality level like all those countless volcano disaster movies, but boy, this one was actually worth watching.

It was about group of cave divers getting trapped and having to work their way out, and they did a good job making everything feel horribly claustrophobic and the underwater scenes were rather realistic. It was entertaining to watch.  

One of the few films that definitely do not deserve all the negative reviews. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Spotlight.

I'm not Catholic and that is a really disturbing film. The story of the Spotlight investigative team from the Boston Globe who unearthed and then spent a year investigating how system child abuse was hidden by the Catholic church around Boston.

Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo, Liev Schreiber, Rachel McAdams, Stanley Tucci and a whole bunch of others sinking teeth into the serious drama of it all. The background social pressure, how so many people turned a blind eye for the "greater good" as they try to untangle the strands of the story and find evidence and multiple sources to prove it all.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."