Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #78: The Leaders of the Band: Chanters and Priests

Pillars of Eternity Priest Chanter Spells Aumaua Kana Cadegund

• Please log in to reply
250 replies to this topic

Quadrone

Quadrone

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Aw yissss, listen to those spell chants!

RPGotY incoming there can be no doubt.

This update feels a little more indepth than the previous two, hopefully this will hold true for the Barbarian update as well. Can't wait.

• Bryy and Jajo like this

Valorian

Valorian

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 971 posts

Kana Rua seems agreeable enough.  :yes: Maybe I'll have a chanter in my party after all.

Is Holy Radiance a passive or active ability? I can imagine 6 priests carbonizing and frightening undeads while simultaneously healing each other. Not fair.  :biggrin: Unless it doesn't stack, of course.

• Bryy and Lephys like this

Fiaryn

Fiaryn

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Steam:Fiaryn
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

From the short description those orders and deities sound rather two-dimensional (maybe not the god of death) and that is a BIG disappointment.
I mean, PLEASE tell me there is more nuance than the short descriptions given in this post, otherwise, perhaps you can have a look at one or two of the gods posted in the Gods thread in my signature ;)

Simple things tend to become more complicated in practice. The Kind Wayfarers as described are basically the real world Knights Templar, before they got loaded. As we see in real world history, one thing leads to another. Protecting pilgrims means protecting their valuables well how do we do that, and then we see the evolution of the Knights Templar into international warrior-bankers. Simple creeds are good. Nothing is ever simple.

And the Bleak Walkers "peace by any means necessary" is pretty much exactly what Bobbin said. The Order of General William Tecumseh Sherman. I can dig it.

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2995 posts

Is Holy Radiance a passive or active ability? I can imagine 6 priests carbonizing and frightening undeads while simultaneously healing each other. Not fair.  :biggrin: Unless it doesn't stack, of course.

Holy Radiance is a limited-use active ability.

• Bryy and Lephys like this

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3021 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Update by Josh Sawyer, Project Director

• Kind Wayfarers - Knights-errant who assist troubled travelers and celebrate love, condemning deception and malice even when dealing with their enemies. The Kind Wayfarers are a diverse group of people and can be found all over the known world.

One now knows whom the main enemy of the game is, death to the Kind Wayfarer's!

• Bryy, Jumble Murdersense, Doppelschwert and 2 others like this

bonarbill

bonarbill

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 238 posts

I'll be really disappointed if Priests end up being nothing but support bots.  I was really hoping for them to be similar to D&D 3.5 clerics at least.  Oh well, hopefully the final spell list will contain some more interesting offensive spells and self buffs.

Edited by bonarbill, 14 May 2014 - 10:22 AM.

Fiaryn

Fiaryn

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Steam:Fiaryn
  • Kickstarter Backer

Similar to 3.5 Clerics how? As in being objectively better than nearly everyone? :p

• aluminiumtrioxid, PrimeJunta, Endrosz and 1 other like this

Valorian

Valorian

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 971 posts

Holy Radiance is a limited-use active ability.

Ok, thanks.

Prometheus

Prometheus

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

"Eora"

Did I miss something -- is this the planet's/world's name where Eterntiy takes place? Or is it just a continent? Don't recall reading it before.

I think this is the first time we've used it in an update.  People in this part of the world commonly call the world "Eora".  This general region is called The Eastern Reach by colonists.

And what is Norwaech? The name of the continent or something different?

Frusciante

Frusciante

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Great update guys. Love how you can roleplay a priest/paladin with this system.

I like how the chant of the spellcaster (Cadegund?) has an echo. Is that because it's inside a dungeon?

Also, spell effects, character models and environment look great. Seems character blend in much better with the environment now. Is that also what Adam's update is going to be about?

Edited by Frusciante, 14 May 2014 - 10:33 AM.

Gumbercules

Gumbercules

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 234 posts

I think that most of the spells and abilities as they've been presented thus far seem a little bland and difficult to remember. It's probably just a presentational issue, but right now everything feels like "large glowy circle that makes this number go up a bit" vs "small glowy circle that makes that number go up a lot." On the one hand you do want things to be standardized and clearly explained to provide a fair challenge for players, but on the other hand a lot of similar, well balanced, and standardized abilities can be difficult to remember and choose between. I hope that in the final game the spell/ability descriptions, animations, and icons are all distinct and memorable enough that even the most basic spells and abilities stand out.

From the short description those orders and deities sound rather two-dimensional (maybe not the god of death) and that is a BIG disappointment.
I mean, PLEASE tell me there is more nuance than the short descriptions given in this post, otherwise, perhaps you can have a look at one or two of the gods posted in the Gods thread in my signature ;)

I think there will be more nuance. The description of Woedica for example had much more variety and subjectivity to it. But even take Eothas. In this update he's described as a simple goody two-shoes of light and benevolence, but we know that his followers established an oppressive theocracy and waged an attempted war of conquest

• JFSOCC likes this

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2995 posts

PoE's priests are designed for people who enjoy support characters.  I've noticed a trend in support class design in recent years to load support characters with offensive abilities to rival other classes while retaining (or improving) all of their support abilities.  I think it makes the classes less distinctive and in the end the people who want to pump out damage are still going to skip something that's an "off-striker" class.  I don't think every class has to appeal to every player.

• Gizmo, Oner, Abtacha and 35 others like this

Forlorn Hope

Forlorn Hope

Soldier of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer

Thank you for the update. Interesting stuff. I think I need to try every class and that's great. Spell descriptions sound familiar yet different, good stuff. However, I'm not sure if I like the incantations... Maybe I'll learn to like them. By the way, Kana literally means chicken in Finnish and Pallegina sounds a bit silly/funny. Palle can be translated as "a hem", among other things, although the word is not used very much anymore. Anyway, Kana Rua looks like a jovial chap (and high as f**k). I really enjoy the art in this game.

As a side note, the female cleric with her scale mail and all didn't look bad regarding bewbs, even though I'd still prefer consistency.

All in all good job, I approve this update.

• Bryy likes this

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2995 posts

And what is Norwaech? The name of the continent or something different?

Norwaech is the northernmost erldom in the Dyrwood.  It's ruled by the Rafendr (RAH-ven-dur) family (arms: party per pale vert and azure overall a tower argent).

• Posbi, Bryy, AndreaColombo and 4 others like this

HoopyFreud

HoopyFreud

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 4 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Any of higher-tier backers want to design a Dathon NPC now? :D

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2995 posts

By the way, Kana literally means chicken in Finnish and Pallegina sounds a bit silly/funny. Palle can be translated as "a hem", among other things, although the word is not used very much anymore.

Not to be overly dismissive, but this is one of the reasons I don't worry a whole lot about what names mean in other languages.  I think almost every name that's been revealed has, at some point in time, revealed to be "dog's butt" or "stupid idiot" or "jolly prostitute" in Basque/Hungarian/Lombard/Vietnamese/Esperanto.  Really long names can sometimes get around that, but they often wind up being really cumbersome, IMO.

• ShadySands, Oner, Lysen and 16 others like this

Flow

Flow

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 367 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm definitely naming my first character "Dog's Butt".

• aluminiumtrioxid, Bryy, PrimeJunta and 3 others like this

Enoch

Enoch

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2587 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I like the aumaua chanter portrait. Is that an island or coastal aumaua, are they male or female, and are they one of the companions?

So far we seem to have:

Aloth - male wood elf wizard

Cadegund - female meadow human priest

Edér - male meadow human rogue

Forton - male savannah human monk

Pallegina - female godlike ocean human paladin

Sagani - female boreal dwarf ranger

? - male hearth orlan cipher

Kana Rua - ? ? aumaua chanter

That would fill all eight companion slots and give representation to all of the available races. One of the UI screens from a while back also mentioned a party member called the Devil of Caroc. Is that a title for one of the existing companions or are there more than eight?

Is there some confirmation that I'm aware of that this "Kana Rua" is a potential party-member?  Might just be a prominent non-joinable NPC.  (From a party-balance perspective, that roster looks a little short in front-liners.  And "Devil of Caroc" sounds like a barbarian-type...) 

Anyhow, I'm not normally a Bard guy, but I'm loving how they've re-thought that into the Chanter.  Toss out the lute nonsense and replace it with ancient epic poetry and legend. 

• Buzzn Frogg, Bryy and Ineth like this

Sabotin

Sabotin

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 365 posts

The portrait is pretty nice. I'm kinda glad to see happy faces, specially with something like shark people; nowadays you'd think they'd all be grimdark badasses and such.

The chanter concept sounds fun. While other classes are depleting abilities through time, chanters keep on stacking the buffs. The priest's Salvation of Time seems to be a good combo (since chants last longer you can stack more of them I guess?)

I love the names, too. The first thing I thought when I read them was Darmok :) . I'm hoping some names will be references to some stories or events in the game.

Priests seem priestly? Nothing special, but that's not necessarily bad. No need to reinvent hot water everywhere. The little bit of flavor with their abilities and their "alignment" being connected seems nice though. Sounds like it's a "softening" of cleric domains/spell lists from dnd. Or you plan on changing available spells based on deity still?

Now for something negative. I can't say I like the appearance of the spell vfx shown. They look to be in the same style as NWN2, which I didn't like that much. Too fuzzy and shiny, which only gets worse when you have multiple on your party (you are considering that I hope?). Besides, you don't wanna hide the pretty backgrounds :p .

Edited by Sabotin, 14 May 2014 - 11:05 AM.

• aluminiumtrioxid, Bryy, IndiraLightfoot and 3 others like this

Forlorn Hope

Forlorn Hope

Soldier of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer

By the way, Kana literally means chicken in Finnish and Pallegina sounds a bit silly/funny. Palle can be translated as "a hem", among other things, although the word is not used very much anymore.

Not to be overly dismissive, but this is one of the reasons I don't worry a whole lot about what names mean in other languages.  I think almost every name that's been revealed has, at some point in time, revealed to be "dog's butt" or "stupid idiot" or "jolly prostitute" in Basque/Hungarian/Lombard/Vietnamese/Esperanto.  Really long names can sometimes get around that, but they often wind up being really cumbersome, IMO.

Ah, yes of course. I'm aware that (fantasy) names have the potential to mean something wacky in some other language. For example, I believe Lumia as in Nokia's Lumia phones, is a word meaning prostitute in Spanish (although the word is a bit old-ish). I just wanted to let you know. I don't think Kana Rua or Pallegina are bad names and after a while I'm sure I won't even think of them as names containing Finnish. Or maybe I'll just roleplay Kana Rua and think that (s)he really likes the taste of chicken.

Edited by Forlorn Hope, 14 May 2014 - 11:55 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pillars of Eternity, Priest, Chanter, Spells, Aumaua, Kana, Cadegund

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users